Author Topic:  (Read 1482 times)

Offline thatoneguy92088

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: April 28, 2004, 08:43:05 PM »
To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars should be worn closest to your heart. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag. For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag. Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve. Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations, the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve, 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches.
Source: Army Website FAQs

or

The two different orientations are mandated because Army regulations call for the flag "to be worn so that to observers, it looks as if the flag is flying against a breeze," Heath said.

There you go. I don't know which is true but these are two reasons
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by thatoneguy92088 »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 08:49:01 PM »
The reason is that every soldier is theoretically a flag bearer.  And thus the flag always has the blue field and Stars headed into battle first.  Look at a real flag and imagine someone carrying it.  Which part of the flag would first?  The field of stars would, and thats why they have the "backwards" flag.  Ever since I found out why they did this when ever I see a flag patch in anyother way it looks wrong to me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline PyroManiac

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:09:12 PM »
it also looks like their running into battle. if they but a "right" flag on the left sleeve it would look like their running away!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PyroManiac »
\"War isn\'t about who\'s right, it\'s about who\'s left\" -Unknown

Raven1

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18:07 PM »
Mad Sarge is correct!  I had a private conversation with Colonel Danny McNight at last years Lion Claws and asked him this same question!  He told me the colors never run, they always go straight into battle!  Just as the wind were blowing and the flag was straight, if you are standing on the correct side the flag appears normal, if you are on the opposite side of the line the flag looks reversed but the Stars are still facing forward!  That was a good conversation that night!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raven1 »

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 07:21:40 AM »
If you also look at Airforce One or the space shuttle, the US flag is positioned the same way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Harley »
\"Just because you\'re paranoid, doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you!\"

\"Have Gun - Will Travel\"

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 10:02:47 AM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harley</i>
<br />If you also look at Airforce One or the space shuttle, the US flag is positioned the same way.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Even some airliners have them.  I remember my father pointing that out to me when I was very young, and I remembereed it ever since.

On a realted note, all U.S. Army (maybe all Armed Servcices, but Army for sure) personell must wear a reversed full color US flag on the BDUs, even on US soil.  It was a uniform change (additionl ,really) and it is to be worn on the right sleeve.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 10:31:41 AM »
I just got a mass email through my AKO account relaying the message that we must wear a flag on our BDUs at all times (previously it was only needed when you were deployed). It is supposed to signify being ready for deployment at all times.  I can get a copy of the email and the exact reasoning behind it if you want. Rick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RickEJ6 »
\"Do not hit if it can be avoided, but never hit softly.\"

T. Roosevelt

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 01:26:57 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by azsarge</i>
<br />
On a realted note, all U.S. Army (maybe all Armed Servcices, but Army for sure) personell must wear a reversed full color US flag on the BDUs, even on US soil.  It was a uniform change (additionl ,really) and it is to be worn on the right sleeve.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RickEJ6</i>
<br />I just got a mass email through my AKO account relaying the message that we must wear a flag on our BDUs at all times (previously it was only needed when you were deployed). It is supposed to signify being ready for deployment at all times. I can get a copy of the email and the exact reasoning behind it if you want. Rick<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep.  I think it's a good idea.

Much better than the beret change, at least.[:P]

Offline RickEJ6

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 03:06:09 PM »
Yeah, not a fan of the berets...at all... Rick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RickEJ6 »
\"Do not hit if it can be avoided, but never hit softly.\"

T. Roosevelt

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 10:22:32 AM »
I am

On Rangers!

Offline toolbox92

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 01:20:57 PM »
Badges and berets are for ferries
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by toolbox92 »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 01:52:20 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by toolbox92</i>
<br />Badges and berets are for ferries

What does headgear have to do with a boat?  

You know what I love about this group (among other things)?  

No one wears military insignia.  Sure, we got the few that wear retro and IR squares, bloodtype, and allergy tabs, but no one runs around with "Delta Force" patches or Ranger tabs unless they earned it the right way.  Even our BTDTs don't go overboard.  I just can't stomach airsofters wearing stuff they didn't earn.

Thanks for being respectful, AA.[:)]

Offline toolbox92

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 02:02:28 PM »
fairies, sorry the marine corps didnt teach me how to spell... they taught me to kill

Offline toolbox92

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 02:02:59 PM »
[:D]

Offline aceriker

• Corporal
    • View Profile
US Army patches
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 08:36:56 PM »
This is just something that I've always wondered. Why do soilders wear a backwords American Flag on thier right arm? Why not just the normal way?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by aceriker »
Never, Never, Never Give Up

--Winston Churchill