Author Topic: JG Sig552  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Uchiha Itachi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
JG Sig552
« on: May 22, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Well I felt a decent non arguing post would be a nice change of pace for the board. So here is a review of my brand new JG Sig552. Sorry no Real Steel information since my knowledge comes from Wiki and World Guns. I will NOT be dismantling the gun. I can but I prefer not to unless it is broken.

Where I got it;
Bought this from Airsoftadvantage for $115.99 shipped. Ordered it Tuesday morning and it came a few hours ago which is usual for this store and very fast overall.

What it came with;

1) JG Sig552
2) Shuang BA 8.4v 1100 Mah mini Ni-MH
3) Charger. However it must be thrown away or you must buy a conversion plug since it is 2 prong. Not a big deal since I use a smart charger.
4) Unjamming Rod
5) Booklet
6) 200 BBs
7) Black Flashhider

The Gun;

The gun came in a brown box with just the side labled "jg sig552". Probably because their wholesaler appears to be WGCshop. First thing I noticed was the box was very small. Roughly the size of a Tokyo Marui P90 box. Well I busted it open to see the standard JG packaging with 4 pieces of styrofoam holding the rifle in place. Which has been typical for me on all my clone purchases. They ship the gun with the stock FOLDED and not extended which is a good thing since this is a folding stock. Excess bending of stock joints will break them.

Weight/Length;

All together the gun weighs roughly 5lbs(also according to Flankertanker) which is decent. Seems kind of high for a small gun that is largely plastic. However the weight is nothing and largely seems to be a concern for younger players. Extended the gun is around 730mm(World guns) which is pretty short. I find the gun shoulders well for someone of my size(5'7) and doesn't seem to sway or hard to aim for long period of time.

Below are comparisons to a P90 and AG36.

Appearance;

I was surprised to see what I saw when I busted it open. On the seen side was a long piece of tape covering full Sigarms trade marks. Both sides are full marked which appear to be authentic marks. I have never seen a real SIG 552 so I can only guess they are correct. The trademarks are very visible and the selector markings and well made. The gun has a White "S" for safe, Red 1 for semi and a Red 20 for automatic(the real sig has a 20rd magazine). The gun itself is very clean and smooth with almost no seems or cracks. The only visible seem is down the stock but this is something normal to those that use skeleton stocks such as those on the G36 series. There is also a seem on the pistol grip but only the rear is visible. The front of the grip is smoothed into the gun pretty well. The gun is uniformly colored to grip, rails, stock and hand guard black with the rest gray, with the exception of the blaze orange hider. More over it seems that JG also threw in a black flash hider. I have yet to put it on since orange flash hiders really do not bother me.

Performance;

I have yet to personally fire it outside. I do not like bring my replicas outside for the entire world to see other than quick photos. An indoor test did confirm the gun does work fine with no hicups or jams. I'd estimate it fires around 12-15 bps with a chrono of over 350. Flankertaker, who did a youtube review, chronoed his at 360+-4. I can not object to a short barreled gun firing 360 stock with that rate of fire. So there is not much I can say for this other than it works like a stock JG would. Also for my BPS/gun test I used an Intellect 8.4v instead of the clone one.

Sights;

Standard sights are pretty good. They are the spinning type that you adjust to the distance to the target. The rear sight has 4 adjustable ranges which go from from 1(open) to 3/4. I'm unsure of what the numbers mean since I've never seen sights like these. But the standard open sight is 1, 3/4 is the next largest then down to 2 which is the smallest hole. The sight clicks into place well and spins with little effort. There are also knobs for wind and elevation.  Also the front sight is a dual post. It has the large block, shown, and when you push  the inner post towards you it folds and a smaller post clicks into place. I prefer the small one since the large takes up a lot of the sight.

There is also a rail along the top. This rail in INCOMPATIBLE with other rail systems. It does not screw into the body of the gun. Instead it slides into a slot(marked with sig trades) and is pinned between that and the rear sight via a screw. Its easy to remove and I haven't had any wiggle from it yet.

Hop Up;

Same as above except I can tell you its not a common brand. It is a dial scope, similar to my G36s, but is more elongated. I believe this to be an Sig only hopup so if you break it you may be in some trouble getting a replacement. I have yet to set it.

Barrel;

Appears to be a stock 6.08 however I have heard rumors of JG putting TBs in their 08's. From the indoor test I did its accurate but short so outdoors play will be a bit difficult. Range will be an issue.

Gearbox;

Another surprise is that is appears to be an 08 BLACK JG gearbox. Trying to read ASR is like trying to read Russian. I do not want to open up the gun but it may have;

1) Metal or Nylon Shims
2) M120 or M110 spring
3) Reinforced GB

Like I said I don't want to open it up to find out so someone from the Gearbox or APD will have to tell you. But from what I can understand it comes with what the seller requests.

Hicap;

Standard hicap. It is small so only expect to get around 250bbs into it. This is probably the worst of the guns features. The plastic is very thin with noticeable seem lines. There is also quite a bit of burs from manufacturing the plastic.

Battery;

Kind of a pain to put into the gun. You have to remove the pin which is spring loaded, pull the bottom back into the gun then remove the top. You then slide the wires into the slot that the connector comes out of and place the battery sideways vertically. If to much wire is out of the slot it won't close.

Overall;

From what I can tell I do not see anything wrong with it. It functions just like a AEG should and looks great. From when I use to buy clones it seems they have stepped up quite a bit with quality and function. The only real negative I have about this gun is the magazine. I found it can false insert. Meaning it can click into place but won't function and will probably fall out when it gets bumped. Those that play night games or do fast reloads may want to watch it because of that. The hicap is also made of thin plastic so the combination may lead to a broken hicap.

Right;

Wrong;

Also be very careful with the folding stock. Keep it in either folded or extended mode only. The stock wobbles a lot when being changed from extended to closed and vise versa.Its only held onto the gun via a small pin so excessive movement or dropping may break the stock pin/plastic holder.

Since my school is over for the summer I plan on buying a few more. If you want semi reviews like this one just ask I will make them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »