Author Topic: holster questions  (Read 4926 times)

Offline ghost1216

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
holster questions
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
hey guys! I'm looking to invest into a kwa p226 here soon and have been eye balling g code holsters. I was wondering which style is the most comfortable the drop leg or the molle set up as in which is the most comfortable to run with, wear, feels closer to your body , and just wont get in the way. thanks guys!  ;D

Offline Warlord

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Master Sergeant
  • CROSSFIRE
    • View Profile
Re: holster questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »
Definitely the molle is the best way to go. The drop leg holsters are annoying and uncomfortable.
Team Crossfire
Position: Any and Every

Offline xTanTricK

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
It's more of a personal preferance. People run holsters all over their body in many different positions because it's what works for them. I've tried the leg platform (condor drop leg) and it flopped around and was just uncomfortable. I've tried the wearing a Blackhawk Serpa on my belt and that was alright when I wasn't wearing my plate carrier. I prefer running a pistol on my belt when I'm not wearing a plate carrier. I now use my Serpa mounted on my chest on my plate carrier and it doesn't hinder my mobility nor does it get in the way except when using a sling. I find it much easier to transition to my sidearm when I have it mounted on my chest. It's all a personal preference and you just have to find what works for you.
Whiskey One Alpha

Offline DMAN007

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
I have two different mounting positions for my g-code holsters, a drop leg and one that is Molle mounted on my Molle belt. They both work great and don't limit my mobility enough to cause any kings of problems or uncomfort. I personally don't like to wear a holster on my plate carrier because my primary sling constantly gets tangled in it and I prefer having the front of my PC as slick as possible. Like stated above, it's all user preference. If you want, I could let you try one of my holsters out at a game or if you live near by before you drop $30 or so on a holster mount.

P.s: if you get a drop leg, get the belt mounted one not the paddle style one. The paddle is convenient but after a few hours of running around it can begin to dig into your hip.

Offline xXmusicimpactXx

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Tried the drop leg for awhile, but ended up switching to a MOLLE holster on my tac vest. While I liked the look of the drop leg, it was just too uncomfortable for me, and flopped around a ton. I found it severely limited my mobility as well as banged around my sidearm quite a bit. MOLLE holster has been great, however. Weapon sits firmly in place, is easy to get to quickly, and I retain 100% of my mobility.

Offline PhoenixShadowCompany

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://phxshadow.net
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
go with a serpa they are sturdy your pistol wont fall out and they will last you

Offline ghost1216

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
go with a serpa they are sturdy your pistol wont fall out and they will last you

alright I will look into Serpa, thanks for the recommendation!

Offline headhunter

• Sergeant First Class
  • I'll give you my bbs...one at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »
Like many people said, its a personal preference. I would reccomend trying all types of holsters if you can afford it. I do have some info on who perfers what. I have seen that if you are a sniper and dont move much, the drop leg is the most preferred. Most people that run around and shoot alot favor a chest rig holster of some sort. In an indoor cqb arena many preferr a belt or chest rig holster. I do not get having a chest rig holster in a cqb arena as it allows the user to draw to a natural position quicker with a belt or drop leg holster
Primary: JG G36c
Secondary: WE Tech Biohazard M9

Offline SpiritOfSimo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:20:07 AM »
I also recommend the serpa / STRIKE plate high chest mount option. It evenly distributes the weight of the pistol on the shoulder straps of your vest rather than your belt. It is also the least-in-the-way of things, but be careful when drawing / holstering your weapon: your muzzle discipline is going to be put to the test.

Also, as a bonus, it's easier to get to your sidearm if you're prone, since your hands will already be close to your upper torso while you're on the ground.

Chest mounted pistol rocks. The only other downside is that sometimes the handle of the sidearm can impede reaching one of your primary magazines (if you have large primary mags, it can even interfere with their placement). Sometimes this can be mitigated by canting the pistol so that its handle rests higher, but I personally prefer to have the weapon flat and level.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:11:10 AM by SpiritOfSimo »

A sheepdog can bite from any distance.

Offline ghost1216

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
this is what i would need to mount it on my chest along with a holster right?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_462&products_id=9795

can somebody get me a picture of the holster on molle with a sidearm in it? Thank you guys for all the great replies!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:13:29 PM by ghost1216 »

Offline ThatGuy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Major
  • Step Up Or Step Aside
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
Yes that is the mount you need

There are pictures in "showin off that sexy gear" thread
OMNIBUS LOCIS FIT CAEDES
 WHISKEY 1 TEAM LEADER.

Offline vibora

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
  • Mile High Airsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
I respectfully disagree with those who say wearing a drop leg is uncomfortable and that it moves a lot.  A friend of mine (recently came out of AF Pararescue) said that he and his unit wore the Safariland 6004 drop legs hiked way up with the top strap cut off.  I decided to try it and it is the most comfortable and easy to reach location I have ever worn a holster in.  I use a SERPA platform for my 1911, and the two belt straps keep it from moving around at all.  Here is a picture of my setup:

The cool thing about G-Code is that they make the drop leg with this mod "built-in."  If had to buy a replacement for the SERPA, I would buy a G-Code; fantastic quality, although ordering directly from them will take awhile.  I currently use one of their holsters for USPSA competitions, and as Kydex holsters go, they are just as good as Bladetech and the others.  Travis Haley (of Magpul and Haley Strategic Partners, for those who've been living under a rock for the past 5 years) also uses G-Code holsters and mounting attachments, and he seems to like them a lot.  Here is a video if you're interested in his perspective on drop-leg holsters.  He is running a Safariland on the G-code platform in the vid, but you will also notice that he also wears the holster hiked up on his leg.  All of you guys who don't like drop legs should watch it, too; might show you the reason it didn't work for you and possibly change your mind :D

Travis Haley Pro-Tip: Drop Rig Holsters 

Offline Fresnel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Accuracy by Volume
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
You know, I wear a drop-leg SERPA for my M226 with both leg straps fully in place, and even at a dead run I notice minimal flop in the holster. Maybe I'm just doing something right? Maybe I just prefer the straps a bit tighter than most.