Author Topic:  (Read 10595 times)

Offline Farslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Paco</i>
<br />Maybe you should see this, and then compare what we KNOW happened in the prison, and compare it with what we KNOW happened to this american!

<b><font color="red">WARNING - THIS VIDEO IS VERY, VERY GRAPHIC!  DO NOT VIEW IT IF YOU THINK YOU MAY BE OFFENDED!</font id="red"></b>

<a href="http://www.niel.com/ar15/iraq2vediom.wmv">Right-Click and Save As...</a>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I cannot explain the shock...I couldn't even finish watching it....
God have mercy on that guy's soul.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Farslayer »
Benn

Offline leakingpen

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 02:09:06 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... r_abuse_26

hows that.

im not indifferent.  i AM outraged that us citizens are dying.  but i'll tell you one thing right now.  if the us were to become a military state, elections suspended or controlled, and a dictator who took my rights away controlling the country, and another country invaded to "free" us, and then started treating our citizens the way we are treating iraqis, id be one of these "insurgents"... and you know what?  i have a feeling almost everyone on this board would be as well.  think of it that way.  you live in a country where you have been invaded, pissing off the soldiers in charge will lead to you "dissapearing", your family is not safe from being herded off at night to some camp or prison, you hear stories and see pictures of civilians being beaten raped and tortured, and you had a captive from the other side that you tried to exchange for some of those being held falsely, and they refused, would you kill the person?  i think you would.  i KNOW i would.  war is war.  

and stop reffering to the iraqis as terrorists.  they arent.  the terrorists are in saudi arabia and pakistan, where they have always been.  these are a people being held captive in thier own home.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leakingpen »

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 02:13:02 PM »
Come on Paco, the liberals are upset about the murder too.  Hell, that's all they're talking about on the Ed Schultz show.

Go take a listen...

http://www.bigeddieradio.com/

Now, I ain't a big Ed Schultz fan because I am of course a conservative, but it seems he is a fair representation of the lefties.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leadmagnet »

Offline leakingpen

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2004, 02:17:29 PM »
to be honest, shcultz is a bit central.

the thing is, a liberal says, see both sides of the story, and the immediate response from the conservatives is that if you look at the other side at all, you must be ONLY looking at the other side, and thus you side with teh terrorists, and you hate america, and your a traitor, and how dare you not care about the soldiers dying, and all this crap.  i am sick of it.  imo, refusing to look at the other side is unamerican.  this country was founded on dissent.

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2004, 02:25:06 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leadmagnet</i>
<br />"In Geneva, the International Committee of the Red Cross said U.S.-led coalition intelligence officers had told it that up to 90 percent of Iraqi detainees were arrested by mistake."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... oner_abuse

And look at it this way, didn't someone state something about taking things to the extreme if they had one of the enemy sittin in their living room and if they thought it would save the life of a loved one?  Looks like Nick Berg found himself in such a livingroom.

Try again.  Again your "news" is flawed as I saw not one single reference to your ascertation in that article (reposted verbatim below for convenience).  I didn't even find the part you "quoted" in that article.  Hmmm...

Your comparison is flawed.  How did slitting Mr. Berg's throat save the families of those five terrorists?  If anything, it should put them and their families in danger of reaping the repurcussions of their murderous actions.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Officials Clash on Blame for Iraq Abuse

5 minutes ago  Add White House - AP Cabinet & State to My Yahoo!

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON - The Army general who investigated prisoner abuse in Iraq (news - web sites) disagreed sharply Tuesday with a top Pentagon (news - web sites) civilian about who was in charge of the Abu Ghraib complex where the mistreatment occurred. In a daylong hearing jolted by news of the beheading of an American in Iraq, the two also differed on the key issue of responsibility by higher-ups.

Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba told the Senate Armed Services Committee (news - web sites) that military police who acted improperly did so "of their own volition." Several senators, however, questioned whether those low-ranking soldiers would have created the sexually humiliating scenarios by themselves.

Indeed, the committee's chairman, John Warner, R-Va., said it was his understanding that some of the photos, such as one showing an Iraqi prisoner with women's underwear covering his head, were to be shown to prisoners' families "by way of threat unless he came forward with some valuable information."

Taguba said that when control of the prison was turned over to military intelligence officials, they had authority over the military police who were guarding prisoners.

But Stephen Cambone, the Pentagon's undersecretary for intelligence, said that was incorrect, that authority for the handling of detainees had remained with the MPs.

That difference underscored the confusion that surrounds the abuse controversy as military investigators attempt to determine if blame should be assigned to more than the 13 soldiers now reprimanded or charged with criminal violations.

It also highlighted an unresolved question linked to Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller, who visited Iraqi prisons in early September, shortly before the reported abuses took place. The question is what Miller meant when he recommended, at the time, that military police become actively involved in "setting the conditions" for successful prisoner interrogations.

Some of the seven MPs who have been charged with abusing Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib have said they believed they were acting on orders from military intelligence personnel who wanted prisoners "softened up" to make them more compliant in interrogations.

Cambone told the committee that Miller meant the MPs should be "collaborating" with the military intelligence soldiers responsible for the interrogations. For example, Cambone said, the MPs could help by telling the interrogators what the prisoners were saying in their cells.

The idea, he said, was to build teamwork between the interrogators and the prison guards. Miller and others made it clear, he said, that all prisoners were to be treated humanely.

But Taguba said involving MPs in "setting the conditions" for interrogations not only violated Army regulations, but also opened the door for possible misunderstanding on the part of MPs who are trained to keep prisoners safe and secure.

The hearing unfolded less than two weeks after photos circulated around the world showing Iraqi prisoners forced by their American captors to assume sexually humiliating positions.

It also took place on a day when an Islamic militant Web site showed pictures of the apparent beheading of an American civilian in Iraq in retaliation for the prison abuse.

"Senators ... are in a virtual state of shock about the beheading," said Warner, recalling earlier concerns that the prisoner abuse could lead to retaliation.

Maj. Gen. Ronald L. Burgess, chief of intelligence for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told Warner "there has been an increase" in threats in the days since the publication of photographs.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., asked Taguba whether he agreed with the conclusion of the International Committee of the Red Cross that coercive practices such as holding prisoners naked for extended periods had been used in a systematic way.

"Yes, sir," Taguba replied. "Based on the evidence that was presented to us and what we gathered and what we reviewed, yes, sir."

He said that investigations, which are not yet complete, have identified seven MPs and as many as 17 of their supervisors directly or indirectly involved.

The question of CIA (news - web sites) involvement arose but was not fully clarified.

Lt. Gen. Keith Alexander, the Army's intelligence chief, testified that CIA officers "visited the facility and talked to prisoners" at Abu Ghraib. He added that he knew of "no wrongdoing on their behalf."

In his testimony, Taguba said the decision last November to take tactical control of Abu Ghraib prison away from the 800th Military Police Brigade and give it to the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade meant the MPs believed they were taking orders from military intelligence.

Cambone, however, said that move did not give military intelligence authority over the MPs, nor did it change the rules governing the activities of either the MPs or the interrogators.

Either way, Cambone told the panel that troops in Iraq were under orders to abide by the Geneva Conventions, which dictate terms for humane treatment of wartime prisoners.

"An order to soften up a detainee would not be a legal order, would it?" asked Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan.

"No sir," replied Lt. Gen. Lance F. Smith, deputy director of the U.S. Central Command.

Taguba stressed that his investigation produced no evidence that an MP was ordered to use inappropriate means in handling detainees.

"I would say they were probably influenced by others but not necessarily directed specifically by others," he said. He suggested the MPs were in some way led to believe they could use more coercive methods, either by military, CIA or civilian contractor interrogators.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 02:28:56 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leadmagnet</i>
<br />Come on Paco, the liberals are upset about the murder too.  Hell, that's all they're talking about on the Ed Schultz show.

Go take a listen...

http://www.bigeddieradio.com/

Now, I ain't a big Ed Schultz fan because I am of course a conservative, but it seems he is a fair representation of the lefties.

I don't doubt that they are upset - they'd be inhuman if they weren't, but they should be absolutely OUTRAGED.  They threw 50 times the stink about the prisoner abuse that they have over this murder - including having all these investigations and hearings.  My question is simple:  Where's that level of outrage for this?

Offline leakingpen

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 02:32:07 PM »
i think the difference is that liberals arent surprised.  we've been saying for months that this is going to happen. most conservatives are still waiting for the flowers and cheers.  simply put, we understand the position these iraqis are in.  in case you missed it, btw, one of the biggest outrages over the torture scandal was "do you realize how badly this is going to escalate violence against our troops"  that was the big deal.  that was why we liberals were most pissed.  becuase we knew that this was going to get more of our soldiers killed.  the conservatives dont seem to care about that.

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 02:39:16 PM »
Paco, it was in there when I first made the link.  Those releases are edited constantly.  I'm surprised they pulled it out.  I seen it in other sources.  Why do you think I would be making this stuff up?

"Your comparison is flawed. How did slitting Mr. Berg's throat save the families of those five terrorists?"

That's hard to say.  I wonder if having that Iraqi's nuts chewed off before he was killed helped garner much intelligence.  I guess it would sort of depend on how many other prisoners with important information you had in the room watching.

Crude, but you get my point.  Right?

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 02:44:27 PM »
<br />Paco, it was in there when I first made the link.  Those releases are edited constantly.  I'm surprised they pulled it out.  I seen it in other sources.  Why do you think I would be making this stuff up?

"Your comparison is flawed. How did slitting Mr. Berg's throat save the families of those five terrorists?"

That's hard to say.  I wonder if having that Iraqi's nuts chewed off before he was killed helped garner much intelligence.  I guess it would sort of depend on how many other prisoners with important information you had in the room watching.

Crude, but you get my point.  Right?

I guess that makes the point that the only reason TO remove that would be if it were not correct.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I wonder if having that Iraqi's nuts chewed off before he was killed helped garner much intelligence.

Again, please provide evidence that this stuff actually ocurred.  I've heard LOTS of speculation and allegations about what happened, but I attribute most of it to hype and propaganda.

Offline leakingpen

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 02:48:22 PM »
paco, most of it is what is being stated off the record by soldiers who were there.  and any paper that prints it without overwhelming proof is going to be instantly tagged as "left wing media conspiracy" people.  in the current climate towards news, is it any wonder that the big agencies are balking at publishing stuff?

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... r_abuse_26

Found it again!

Don't have time to post the whole article.  Let's see how long this one stays up at yahoo.

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2004, 02:50:26 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leakingpen</i>
<br />i think the difference is that liberals arent surprised.  we've been saying for months that this is going to happen. most conservatives are still waiting for the flowers and cheers.

You mean like this:

or

The fact is that the media won't show this sort of stuff, because all the horror stories sell better. (*sigh*)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">simply put, we understand the position these iraqis are in.  in case you missed it, btw, one of the biggest outrages over the torture scandal was "do you realize how badly this is going to escalate violence against our troops"  that was the big deal.  that was why we liberals were most pissed.  becuase we knew that this was going to get more of our soldiers killed.  the conservatives dont seem to care about that.

Then you're agains the mainstream left.  The mainstream left was upset that the info wasn't made public long ago (the US has been investigating it silently for MONTHS before it came out).  That's why all those leftists are calling for "Fire Rumsfeld!"  If the administration had had it how they were trying to take care of it, they would have handled it internally so when it came out, it would have been "taken care of" and those involved already punished accordingly.

Offline leakingpen

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2004, 02:54:59 PM »
yeah, because if it were made public then, it would have stopped.  guess what, local papers have been reporting it in iraq since mid january.  it was public knowledge in iraq, but we are just now finding out about it now.  hell, our president didnt know about it until he saw it on fox news!  we are calling for fire rumsfeld, becuase he knew, and did nothing to stop it.

Offline leakingpen

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2004, 03:02:38 PM »
the first is from gulf war one, the second, well, do they look that happy to you?
(still looking for the snopes on it, but that pic was ided as from gw1)

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2004, 03:02:44 PM »
Hmmm...  Iraqi criminals being mistreated or american civilians being murdered...

BTW, I'm still waiting for some evidence of those allegations you've made about the happenings at the prison...