Author Topic: Do you believe...  (Read 12638 times)

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2005, 10:58:22 PM »
I never was able to study Hebrew or Greek. Are you studying it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline Chayote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://chayotemu.com
(No subject)
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2005, 12:07:11 AM »
Nope, that's why I was saying I don't know enough to claim anything for certain. I am however, very proficient with google and bringing up goodies. Just can't find the info about the words combining and such. I'm short on attention span today, so I'll look tomorrow some more.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Chayote »
\"We think Coyotes howl at the moon, but really they laugh with their friend.\"
\"To catch a thief you can hire a thief, to catch a master thief you must be a master thief.\"
MOSKVASPEZNAZ

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2005, 12:37:37 AM »
Ya diddo on the attention span. I was going to study Greek last semester, and Hebrew next year. But I changed major's and schools so I wont be needing that. Still it would have been nice to have the bible teaching from the original writings!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline cmptrdewd

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2005, 10:25:40 AM »
I would love to learn Hebrew so i could study the orginal text of the bible. O and Greek too! :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by cmptrdewd »

We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!
--John Adams and John Hancock [April 18, 1775]  \"These things we do, so that others may live!\" --Airforce Motto

Offline cmptrdewd

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2005, 10:47:12 AM »
I use to think that the bible codes were flaky and kinda hocus-pocus-y. But that was before I really did any research on the subject.
Now I don't really know for sure. I did find one web site that shows many codes of historical and furture events.

Here's the link.

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/topics_bc.htm

--John Adams and John Hancock [April 18, 1775]  \"These things we do, so that others may live!\" --Airforce Motto

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2005, 11:54:05 AM »
Quote from: "cmptrdewd"
I use to think that the bible codes were flaky and kinda hocus-pocus-y. But that was before I really did any research on the subject.
Now I don't really know for sure. I did find one web site that shows many codes of historical and furture events.

Here's the link.

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/topics_bc.htm

Uhhhh, wha?  Does that make you a Christian Agnostic?

Lead
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leadmagnet »

Offline Chayote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2005, 02:04:41 PM »
No, Agnostic is used strictly when referring to belief in God. Well... technically speaking it refers to the belief that there is an absolute lack of proof either way and so God has an equal(ish) probabilty of being real as he does of being fake. It's kind of like Schrodingers cat, but with a deity.
\"To catch a thief you can hire a thief, to catch a master thief you must be a master thief.\"
MOSKVASPEZNAZ

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2005, 02:16:57 PM »
Quote from: "Chayote"
No, Agnostic is used strictly when referring to belief in God. Well... technically speaking it refers to the belief that there is an absolute lack of proof either way and so God has an equal(ish) probabilty of being real as he does of being fake. It's kind of like Schrodingers cat, but with a deity.

I was joking.

And actually, it doesn't mean that there is an absolute lack of proof and it is not used strictly when referring to a belief in goad.  

It is generally defined as...

1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.

2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

3. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

As far as religion goes, this site explains it rather nicely...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/agnostic.htm

Offline Chayote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2005, 04:02:48 PM »
Ooooohhhh... :oops: ok. One problem with this internet thingy is you're never quite sure if someone is serious or not. Thanks for letting me know. I like being told when I'm wrong, but mainly when it's useful telling.
MOSKVASPEZNAZ

Offline cmptrdewd

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2005, 02:27:27 PM »
Good one Lead! I'm also a little surprised that you haven't started bashing some people (namely me for making this topic)! :lol:

Any one have some evidence for against the existence of God or the Bible code?

Any one have a God related question they would like discuss?

EDIT: I read the link that lead gave. Very informative!
I would like to say that you can not prove or disprove the existence of God through scientific means. Science cannot prove any thing as you may know if you ever took a good science class in High School. Don't you find it interesting that the father of evolution calls himself an agnostic! You can not prove the existence of God to someone who won't believe. Like you can't teach some one to read that won't believe that A is A and B is B. If you step out on faith and seek God, He will prove Himself to you!

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2005, 10:46:43 PM »
Good one Lead! I'm also a little surprised that you haven't started bashing some people (namely me for making this topic)! :lol:

I generally don't make it a habit to pick on a person's belief system just for the sake of doing so.  I will however ocassionally offer up my opinion on the subject and if they get po'ed about it, that's their problem.  

I would like to say that you can not prove or disprove the existence of God through scientific means.

Same could be said of the tooth fairy.

Don't you find it interesting that the father of evolution calls himself an agnostic!

Makes sense to me.  I'd find it more interesting if he called himself a Christian, heh.

You can not prove the existence of God to someone who won't believe.

Yes, and again I hate to repeat the same analogy but same problem with the tooth fairy.  What's your point?

Lead

Offline cmptrdewd

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2005, 10:23:31 AM »
Quote from: "leadmagnet"

I would like to say that you can not prove or disprove the existence of God through scientific means.

Same could be said of the tooth fairy.

You can not prove the existence of God to someone who won't believe.

Yes, and again I hate to repeat the same analogy but same problem with the tooth fairy.  What's your point?

You know the scientific method, right? Scientific laws are made by the accumulation of data and evidence over many, many years. By no means does this mean that a scientific law is "proven" but it is tentative or open to change in light of contradictory evidence. Say if you dropped a bowl off your roof and make the observation that it fell to the ground. Now you make the hypothesis that everything you drop off the roof will fall to the ground. Now to test your hypothesis you start dropping more things off the roof and they all fall to the ground. Now your hypothesis is a theory! Now over many many years of dropping stuff off the roof to make your theory a scientific law, one day you drop a helium baloon off the roof. What happens? Does it fall to the ground like your theory suggests? No, it floats up and away! In light of this contradictory evidence your theory is discarded. Over many years scientists had compiled evidence and data to support evolution, but now we have encountered not one, but many pieces of contradictory evidence. The theory of evolution should be discarded right? But it hasn't. Why? Scientists have chosen to ignore the evidence against evolution because the only other way we could be here is of the power of a higher intelligence. Scientists don't want to answer to a high being, they want to do their own thing. Like I said this won't make anyone believe in God or believe that evolution is supposed to be a discarded theory because they refuse to believe.

Quote from: "Lead"
Don't you find it interesting that the father of evolution calls himself an agnostic!

Makes sense to me.  I'd find it more interesting if he called himself a Christian, heh.

Darwin was a Christian at one point! But after his five year voyage on the HMS Beagle as a naturalist his faith eroded away because of the observations he made of wildlife on his adventure. Well I'm starting to get a headache. I could tell you the rest of the story on Darwin, but I think I'll wait till later.  :)