Author Topic: Why not to buy KWA products, ever again.  (Read 4879 times)

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Why not to buy KWA products, ever again.
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
I'm tired of working on KWA guns that are broken. They're a pain in the ass, and frankly, they're expensive to maintain compared to almost every other gun on the market because you're stuck buying KWA parts.

Here is a list, partially compiled by me, and mostly from other techs I know, about some of the bad things about KWA products.

18gauge wire which is too small for the amperage even a mediocre AEG will draw

Gearbox Painted inside and out (leads to paint chips inside the gearbox)

Spring guide tabs break frequently

9mm bearings (frequently reported to fail)

Trigger trolley stop (too thick; blocks use of some gear sets)

Trigger contact/trolley failure due to load (didn't bother using a mosfet, dispite their "lipo ready" claim)

Electrical (selector plate) safety which can short/corrode

Trigger axle to trolley height off spec (replacement trigger units won't work)

Cylinder head retention nubs over-sized, wont fit non-kwa (ie: standard TM-spec)

Gearbox "reinforcement" material over allowable width

Flexing upper/tab failure/piston forward requirement to open

Full floating barrel (both ends) reduces accuracy/not GB justified

2GX bucking

Hop chamber off spec (other bucking incompatible)

Aluminum flat faced piston head

Insufficient cylinder head buffer  (read:broken gearbox shell)

AOE adjustment absent

Unported piston head (all sorts of problems can occur ... ultimately it makes the piston,gears,and motor work harder)

plastic hop unit (two piece proprietary)

Tamaya connectors (multiple in some models) (high electrical resistance, which gets worse as they heat up from full-auto use)

Un-vented grip on many models

ferrous motor (low torque)

Grip connects to gearbox with only two screws

Self tapping screws (don't hold torque very well, easily strip, when they strip they are different than every other gearbox on the markets thread pitch and design)

No bearings on spring guide and piston head (washers adding mass to the piston assembly)

Springs not ground flat

Lack of piston tooth reinforcement (strips pistons)

Gear axle center distances off-spec (there is a difference between "kinda fits" and on-spec.. which can lead to catastrophic failures down the road even if it "works" right now)

unshimmed from factory (new "self shimming" features) ... which WILL eat itself alive over time, whether with using high amperage lipos or not.

The precision needed for unshimmed gears was never seen in a KWA gun. They took short cuts instead, to keep everything running well. Their bearings are a good example. One issue they have is that the gears are not made to proper spec, so the gears will actually get stuck in the bearing posts, meaning they are impossible to shim. However, because they are in bearings, they still spin. Even when the parts are well made enough for the gears to properly sit in the bearings, they are not shimmed, the gears are loose and wobble in the gearbox. This magnifies the issues of a painted gearbox and weak bearings, as this can increase the likelihood of the bearings failing and increase the wear on the inside of the gearbox, increasing the paint chips..

Not to mention, there is no mosfet... which again, means it is not lipo ready.

TL;DR: There are a lot of proprietary parts in KWA aegs, and while they might shoot "fine" stock, for a while, as soon as you want more from it, it will require almost full gearbox and internal parts replacement in order to be truly reliable.

Granted, many of the problems listed here are present in other companies as well, but none of them collectively have this many issues, or at least none of the mainstream reputable companies do.
Many of the issues are intentionally done by KWA to ensure that people HAVE to buy KWA replacement parts, which they seem to design with engineered obsolescence in mind. Intentionally making weak, proprietary parts which will fail, and forces you into a market they alone control.

Credit to HS5, and star_folder from airsoft society and mechanics for their helping to compile this list and some of this info.

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Why not to buy KWA products, ever again.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
I have been preaching this shit for years. GREAT POST <-

I have never understood why they became as popular as they were. Trumped it up to marketing and paying venders to advertise.

KWA - Unless its gas, Pass.

I watched a G36 of these tear itself apart in field, and have seen more then my fair share of m series guns by them crap out.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:09:11 PM by Exarach »
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Master Sergeant
  • No Longer Cujo :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:57 AM »
May we expect a STRONG letter to follow? LOL
I am just a chalk line on the sidewalk waiting for the next rain to wash me off...
For the time I am here I am what I am...

Offline Bao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »
Yeah and it also goes for their gbbs too. Been working on an lm4 and its just problem after problem with proprietary parts although it might just  be mine.

Offline rictas777

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:46 AM »
You know i'm actually surprised to read this, But thanks for the heads up though, i got a guy on my team thinking about an AEG by KWA ironiclly. Thanks for the heads up!
Vigillance is my sword, Intergity is my Shield, and Truth is my Guidance.

Offline Warlord

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Master Sergeant
  • CROSSFIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »
I am never a fan of proprietary items, and definitely not of kwa. Well done!
Team Crossfire
Position: Any and Every

Offline KWAMaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
I disagree with this comment i have and a kwa for years and it has not failed me yet and has never had one problem

Offline Paradox

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
Never had issues with their Gas operated Replica's.

Though, I've never used their AEG's
Team Phantom(Retired),2006-2013
Six Charlie

Offline spazz

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
I disagree with this comment i have and a kwa for years and it has not failed me yet and has never had one problem
lol cute, we have a fan boy in our mist. you obviously dont use your gun hard enough if you have never had a problem.
i have worked on quite a few kwa m4 aeg's and the only thing i like about the is the re-enforcements on the front of the gb.  and those crappy screws they use are retarded. cant even thread the gb's for machine screws. cant use oring air nozzels because the hop up wont accept them. their self shimmed gears wont let you get more than 50% contact with the spur/sector. aluminium non-ported piston head?! what were they thinking, id rather have a stock tm piston head.
never underestimate the things you dont know.
P90 is no longer the b***h gun!
AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline nukeduster

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »

We call this, anecdotal data.

Just because something bad hasn't happened to YOU, doesn't mean it isn't happening to other people, and doesn't prove the point.

My points are quantitative and can be proven with any given KWA gearbox and gun. I can take said given gun and measure the axle to axle distances of their bearings and say its out of spec and putting extra strain on the bearings/gear teeth/ piston rack/etc.

If it were worth the time, you could even do the math behind how much extra stress the extra gap between the axles put on the teeth.

However, simply saying that your non random sample of your guns, are "reliable" proves nothing, and disproves none of my points.

Offline nukeduster

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
Bumping this to the top, since newbies keep asking on the forums if a KWA rifle is worth buying or not.

Offline Bob Z Moose

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
  • The $$60,000,000,000 Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
To be honest, this really should be stickied.
Team Manaconda
Don't dick with us!

Offline Major payne

• Master Sergeant
  • Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum. What beanstalk did you fall from?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
Just reading through posts that I have missed over the last several months and wanted to add to the post even though it looks very much dead.

I have owned 1 KWA and really enjoyed it however it ended costing me more to maintain, modify, and shoot more than any other gun I have owned. Another problem I'd like to add to Nukedusters list is that once the stock cutoff lever is worn down (Which really doesn't take long with it being made out of pot metal) it is near impossible to find a cutoff lever other than another KWA that will work well enough to maintain a reliable semi-auto function on the gun.

In the past I have also had a difficult time making GB's of from other companies both fit and function in the KWA body.

I did enjoy my KWA, I feel that some of the components were superior to several other brands, however for the money I paid for the gun and the time, frustration, and money I invested in making the gun reliable it was not worth it-

Sorry to bring an older post back-Just making up for all the 2 cent opportunities I missed:P
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend

G4-A1 Hard Externals with Custom GB
2x KJW Custom Glock 23's