Author Topic: Back to airsoft 10 years later; gear suggestions?  (Read 957 times)

Offline iamthelaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
Back to airsoft 10 years later; gear suggestions?
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »
Hey all,

I was a member here at least 10 years ago. I'm in grad school now (so yeah, I was a kid when I was here before) and looking for a new weekend hobby. Airsoft is expensive, but not close to as expensive as track days.

I'm curious what the state of the community is like now; there used to be lots of BT games with guys like Harley, azsarge, legs, etc; how much of that community is still around? Are there still many games without a lot of 16 year olds? Are there any overnight ops to occupy my whole weekend?

I've got about a grand to start with; I'm looking at a Umarex/VFC HK416 unless someone can talk me out of it. When I was buying guns the only choices were TM and CA, so I'm pretty overwhelmed by the selection now.

If anyone has any of the following to get rid of I'd probably take it off your hands:
  • All-metal HK416/short M4 with crane stock (bad back, can't hold weight away from body)
  • Metal standard caps that feed
  • Do people still use NIMH batteries or is it all LIPO now? I'll need a 9.6v butterfly and charger/discharger if NIMH
  • Metal P226 or M9 (used to love KJW)
  • Smallish plate carrier (at 150lbs most of them are spacious)
  • T800s or whatever people are wearing now
  • GP68 or similar

By the way, where are people buying guns from now? I can't remember the name, but I always used some long-named all-black site that lost half my stuff to customs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:55:41 AM by iamthelaw »

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Back to airsoft 10 years later; gear suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
Still games out there. The 416 should be a decent choice, upgrading to Lipo's is really cheap and worth it.
$1000 will get you a lot more these days than 10 years ago. All black website?...thinking Redwold or uncompany.  Some U.S. Retailers are airsoftgi.com, evike.com and airsoftextreme.
You in grad school at ASU? I'm finishing up my BFA and starting grad school probably next year.
"Oderint Dum Metuant"

Offline iamthelaw

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
Yup uncompany was it--they lost my CA right before I left airsoft. Looks like I can do everything I want gun and gear wise from airsoftgi for under $900, so I'll probably be looking for games in a little while.

I'm MSEE at ASU; finished molecular bio last year. What program are you looking at for grad? and which school are you in now? I know some people in ceramics and architecture and some English grads

Offline Toast

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
You may know my wife, she's finished her Molecular Bio a year ago and is working on her masters too.
I'm in the intermedia program and am looking at the MS in digital culture Art/engineering program.
I also work the DRC. Shoot me a PM, I'll give you a hand if you want to get back in the hobby. Season's going to start back up soon.
"Oderint Dum Metuant"