Author Topic: New, advice sought  (Read 1132 times)

Offline lunchmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
New, advice sought
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »
Hello, I am new to airsoft and am seeking some advice. My kids (2boys 9 and 10) have engaged me into this and I like it. At first I was apprehensive but after buying a few beginner cheapie guns from dept stores and visiting "Jungle Toys" over in Tempe, I am hooked. They were hooked before I though ;-)

So we have bought and found that the dept store models pretty much fail with-in a month of use. Waste of dinnero ! However the velocity of these guns is much more suitable to my kids taste. One friend of theirs bought a more powerful model from jungle toys at 350ft per second and the kids are intimidated by it. SOOOOOO........ I am looking for a make/model (AEG seems to be the best for the kids) of rapid fire (full or semi) of any type of gun (rifle/pistol) that is better quality and possibly repairable if it does break. Trying to keep it under budget though... < 100 a piece. Are used guns an option ? What should I look for in these when purchasing.

Also any pointers on places we can play and not get in trouble with the law. The backyard is getting small and local parks would be prohibited.

TIA
LunchMeat
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline corporalred

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/stealthislink
Re: New, advice sought
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:19:32 PM »
If you are looking for something that is repairable and very easy on the wallet I would go with a Clone, also known as a Tokyo Marui clone gun, IE: Marui MP5 = $250, a clone with almost the same specs would run you around $125 if you know where to look. Clones are somewhat compatible with Marui parts so if something breaks and Marui makes it, most likely you can find the part.

Clone brands would include, Galaxy, JG, WELL, CYMA (my first clone), D Boys, UTG, KART and if anyone else wants to chime in on ones I forgot..... :-k

I shop on airsoftgi.com, or airsoftatlanta.com, try those out and let us know what you find, any other questions feel free to pm me or post it on here.... =) good luck
Quote from: \"Vince\"
I\'ve touched that gun with my hand which had touched my penis. I hope you did not touch your mouth after touching that gun. That would mean your had put part of my penis in your mouth.

Offline BoStOn

• Private
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airsoftshots.com
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »
A great place to get more answers is at Gear Box ( formerly ) Jungle Toy in Tempe.  I would probably suggest a Classic Army Sportline.  You can get one for about 130 and it comes with everything you need to start playing, battery, charger, safety glasses, sling, and 500 bbs.  They are great and reliable guns.  I have a upgraded sportline and it is great.  The nice thing is they are ready to play with out of the box ( minus charging the battery ) and the shoot at about 360 fps.  The other nice thing about these guns is that the more you get into airsoft and the more you learn, there are limitless upgrades both cosmetic and mechanical that you can get for these guns.  The other thing you will find out about airsoft is, like with anything else, everyone has a favorite brand.  The reason I suggest the CA Sportline is because I feel that with a price of around $130 and all the things it comes with... it is the best bang for your buck.
\"Each picture has its own value. Each cost us something. Sometimes it cost us blood.\" —Van Bao, North Vietnamese photographer

\"The brave ones were shooting
the enemy. The crazy ones were shooting film.\"

Offline lunchmeat

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
Great tips, thanks everyone. So are there any places to play for under 12 yrs of age ? both private and or public ?

Backyard is getting clogged up with BB's.

Thanks
LM

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
Quote from: "lunchmeat"
Great tips, thanks everyone. So are there any places to play for under 12 yrs of age ? both private and or public ?

Backyard is getting clogged up with BB's.

Thanks
LM

No.  You'll find alot of reasons which have been thoroughly discussed, but the main two are legality and the fact most adults don't want to hang out with 16yr olds much less 12 yr olds.  Nothing personally, that's just the facts.

Places you could go on your own are out of city limits, on national forest lands that are not currently under heavy fire restrictions prohibiting use of airsoft and away from people's sight. Stay away from land that requires permission unless you have said permission.  I'd ask myself if I could shoot real guns out here and be ok, if so you will be fine.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Ziolko

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »
Yeah, from my research. To play in a private match you have to be closer to 18 years of age. For 12 year olds, I would just stick to backyards and forrests. Sneaking into a construction site is always a great load of fun if you dont mind taking that risk.   [smilie=armata_pdt_06.gif]
V/R,
Ziolko

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
Quote from: "Ziolko"
Sneaking into a construction site is always a great load of fun if you dont mind taking that risk.   [smilie=armata_pdt_06.gif]

For everyone's sake DON'T take that risk!  Airsoft use affects much more than your own little hide. If you want to play airsoft then responsibility is a big part of that.  Airsoft = major responsibility, not only for yourself but also for the group as a whole.  This is not a game for the feeble. This isn't something to take light heartedly. When we take things for granted, we loose them. If you can't act appropriately then get the hell out of our hobby. Many people have worked hard to develop what we have, so that others may enjoy in our efforts.

Don't be apart of the minority who helps ruin it for everyone.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline BATMAN

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 02:38:05 AM »
Sneaking into a construction site is always a great load of fun if you dont mind taking that risk.   [smilie=armata_pdt_06.gif]
Are you serious??  You do realize how absolutely foolish that is, right?  Trespassing on MARKED private property (law-breaking that is indisputable in court), armed with replica firearms, leaving an distinguishable mark of your presence (BBs everywhere), and running aimlessly around in an environment covered in rusty nails and metal shards... WTF are you THINKING?!!  That's not "taking a risk," that's just sheer stupidity!
-BATMAN

Offline corporalred

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »
Quote from: "BATMAN"
WTF are you THINKING?!!  That's not "taking a risk," that's just sheer stupidity!
-BATMAN

Jared you are awesome! Even the kids at GA wouldnt pull a stunt like that
I\'ve touched that gun with my hand which had touched my penis. I hope you did not touch your mouth after touching that gun. That would mean your had put part of my penis in your mouth.

Offline T3hl33tn00b

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »
Lets keep on topic here guys...
Anyways, as far as guns under the 350 fps realm, clones are king, but the one I ALMOST got for my first gun was the WELL R8, its a good gun for under $100 even after shipping, and if you look, you can get it in dept stores( sporting good stores, like big 5 and the such). here's a link to it on airsplat, another good site(in my humble opinion, I never had a problem with them the 2 times I ordered).

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-WELL-R8-G3A3.htm

by the way, the 360 fps is a typo, I called them, and the person I talked to said its more like 260-280 fps.

good luck finding the guns!!

UPDATE- found a nice review of the R8, its MOSTLY*** TM or CA compatable, so it can be repaired.

heres the link

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/reviews/s ... roduct=109
Just call me L33t...\'couse you know I am!

Hotel Moscow* never shows Mercy!

Offline corporalred

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:33:29 PM »
I had an R8, the thing shot 3 bbs at a time like a shotgun, could never get that fixed..... I didnt own it long enough to really get to use it. Traded for an Xbox, not a bad gun for the time I played with it.