Author Topic: What does "Free Float" mean????  (Read 1241 times)

Offline A-Blind-Nun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
What does "Free Float" mean????
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
I know I sound like a total noob asking this but does a free float RAS rail wobble or are they really sturdy because I think "free float" and I instantly think its not supported on the barrel so it must be wobbly. Please reply to this stupid question. :?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Has anyone on this site listened to Ace Troubleshooter? If you have PM me.

Every time you read this sentence you must pay me 5 dollars.     (pay up.)

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: What does "Free Float" mean????
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
Being wobbly shouldn't have anything to do with whether a rail is free floating or not.  Generally, what makes front ends (Particularly M4/M16 front ends) wobbly is the barrel nut not being tight.  Or, in some rarer occasions, the receiver threads and the barrel nut threads not being compatible.  That being said, I have seen far fewer problems with free float rail systems in terms of their wobbliness.

The solution to this problem is merely keeping everything correctly tightened and not using incompatible parts.
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline RecoilEF

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »
I have an M4 and M16 length FF RAS made by King Arms and i love them. Absolutely no wobble at all since it one machined piece, also they come with a massive steel barrel nut which locks everything positively into place. One thing about FF RAS's is that it's recommended to have a gas-tube which means a gas-tube compatible receiver and gas-block/front sight. Without a gas-tube, with enough force you can twist the RAS completely off the receiver like a nut. One thing about any FF barrel is that, when forced, it can move indepently from the RAS, so if you whack it on something it will most likely get bent all the way back where it meets the reciever.

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:46:10 AM »
Quote from: "A-Blind-Nun"
I know I sound like a total noob asking this but does a free float RAS rail wobble or are they really sturdy because I think "free float" and I instantly think its not supported on the barrel so it must be wobbly. Please reply to this stupid question. :?

Free float rails are very sturdy; on a real gun they are used to prevent extra vibration on the barrel and increase accuracy. They are more stable than a barrel supported RIS because it is a one piece construction that does not depend on any spring tension for stability.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
Quote from: "TheStenGun"
Quote from: "A-Blind-Nun"

Free float rails are very sturdy; on a real gun they are used to prevent extra vibration on the barrel and increase accuracy. They are more stable than a barrel supported RIS because it is a one piece construction that does not depend on any spring tension for stability.

Well, sort of.

A conventional rail system attaches between the standard barrel nut and the front handguard cap.  When force is applied to accessories mounted on the rail, it exerts force onto the barrel, negatively affecting accuracy (in real guns).

A free float system attaches only at the front of the upper receiver, most of the time using a proprietary barrel nut, and allows the barrel to "free float" inside of the rail system.  Any force exerted on the rail, is transfered straight back to the receiver.

For airsoft guns, there is probably little or no effect on accuracy - the advantage being it will be a bit more solid.  Airsoft guns are made of lesser materials, and therefore the torque used on the barrel nuts is much lower most of the time, so barrels and rails can come loose after hard use.  Keep an eye on them and re-torque as necessary.

Well designed rail systems like those from LaRue Tactical and Daniel Defense have incorporated features that prevent loosening of the rail and barrel, so long as it is installed properly.  From what I've seen, the airsoft knock-offs of these rails incorporate these features.  For best quality, though, buy the real thing.  

And don't use an airsoft rail on a real gun or you'll be asking for trouble. :roll:

I hope that answers your original question.

Offline A-Blind-Nun

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:04:25 AM »
that did thoroughly answer my question thank you. :D
Has anyone on this site listened to Ace Troubleshooter? If you have PM me.

Every time you read this sentence you must pay me 5 dollars.     (pay up.)