Author Topic: Gear & YOU: Working Towards A Better Future (TM)  (Read 33810 times)

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
Quote from: "TimW"
That's what that smell is.  Perhaps we can take up a collection so you can get a second pair of socks. :D

I have four pairs of them. :P

Finally, nice list and comments...where did you purchase the socks?

Thanks, Arizona Tactical.  $12 or so, I think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline PHX COBRA

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
I've taken a liking to the Thorlo Light hikers, they breath real well, but are thicker overall and fit my feet in most shoes very well.  I have 11 pairs of them and a few for over 2yrs and they are still like new shape.  Wear them as everyday socks.
I also got a pack of the Costco light hiking socks and they are surprisingly comfortable as well, almost as good as the Thorlos.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PHX COBRA »

Offline devildog16

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 10:28:04 PM »
Hey right now I have an el cheapo Cross Draw vest and a camelback tucked inside.  I know modular would be better.   I've checked at Laradas but either i wasnt looking in the right place or they didnt have them.   Where is a good place to find the vest and pouches/attachments? I'm primarily looking for surplus stores around the valley but is there any other place you would recomend?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by devildog16 »
"Basebruce"
be proud never satisfied

Offline AddoAduro

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 11:37:41 PM »
I don't think this is really the right place for this, but I'd recommend the following (It's what I use, and I love it. Also where I bought it from, they rock too. ;) )

Camelbak Delta 5

HSGI  Universal Double Modular Pouch

I grabbed a couple other things too, but those are the important ones. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by AddoAduro »
Quote from: \"XavierMace\"
Every day I have to wade through mountains of stupid posts on forums by kids who feel it necessary to share their personal life on the internet like they think we care.

Offline devildog16

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 05:35:06 PM »
ok thanks Addo I'll check em out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by devildog16 »
"Basebruce"
be proud never satisfied

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.practicaltactical.net
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »
I have the Delta vest in Black and Foliage green in stock,  and the UMMP double in Khaki, MultiCam and OD.  I also carry Tactical Tailor gear now, too.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TimW »
TimW
Phoenix

Practical Tactical Tough Life. Tougher Gear.  Assaultvest.com

Offline Ares

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/gtm2000
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
Dead thread? I think not.

My rig.

This is how I have it assembled for a sort of, middle-weight, mobile style. I can attach more magazines and some different pouches if I think I'll need it all. I have all the mags from right to left as opposed to just one side. Any additional ammo would go on the left hand side, which would make ammo draw much easier.

I chose panels instead of pouches because I find them to be easier to use.    There are no flaps to fondle with when its time to reload, and they're more versatile because of the webbing, the user can add whatever they need.

The "Gadget" pouch on the right holds my tool kit and allen wrenches. I keep these on my rig for all the obvious reasons, being able to fix whatever, where I need to.

In the full shot up top, you can see the water hose going along the shoulder pad. I used a couple of grimloc's to route the hose upward, so I don't have to play search and grab if I can't see it. As below.

The admin carries all the usual, radio code cheat sheets, maps... sometimes my keys... whatever. The two small pouches on the right carry  a Surefire and a Leatherman, and for a sling I have some paracord and a carabiner. Quick and dirty sling, but its effective.

The rig closes in the front, by the two velcro panels in picture 2 overlapping under another flap of velcro under the mags in the center (pic 3), so all 6 mags are in a straight line.

For reloading, I no longer use an XL loader, but rather several small loaders (as per Raith, thank you sir!) They'll go in a mini chuck just the same, except I'll have pouches inside the chuck for the tools and allens, which would replace the gadget pouch all together. The normal pistol style loaders are better for me because I use GP mags. This lets me raload with one loader for each refreshed magazine, no counting or ending up with 3 full mags and one half full.

Any questions?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ares »

Offline F0rgiven

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://rodnee.mybrute.com
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »
how much did that entire rig run you?  Looks perfect.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by F0rgiven »
CA M15A4 Compact Seal

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Gear & YOU: Working Towards A Better Future (TM)
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
BTT - I've recently suggested a few people read this - Hopefully this will spur them on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Seedy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deserthawks.org
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 08:54:28 AM »
I have a few questions-

I've been looking at two Eagle Industries plate carriers.

One with a Cummerbund ($200)-

and one without ($150)-

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get and was wondering if the guys who own carriers like these could speak up.
you can actually remove the cummerbund on the one that comes with one incase I don't like it. the extra space on the cummerbund for pouches and stuff looks nice but it will be tricky arranging them on the seams where the cummerbund opens up. doesn't look like I could save money by getting the combined double and triple mag pouches.. I'd have to go with 6 to 8 single stand alone mags (expensive). the cummerbund also looks like it might be kind of hot and heavy for wearing in the heat.
then again I would not want to kick myself for getting the carrier that does not come with one because I don't want to find out down the road that I've run out of space on my vest to put pouches.
so which kind of carriers you guys like, ones with or without cummerbunds?
thanks

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:17 AM »
Plate carriers have more nylon restricting airflow and are just going to be hotter than chest rigs with less area.

Part of what raith was getting at with this thread is to take a serious look at what you need on the field and build your kit around that. Don't buy some vest with every pouch imaginable and then fill every slot.

I rethink my kit for every major event. For instance I in the previous years have used a fully integrated kit meaning that my hydration, ammo and everything was on one platform. This last game I tried out having my hydration on a separate system. I slimmed down my mag count to 6, I carried 8 pistol speedloaders to offset the lack of immediate mags, I had a radio, bag of bbs, red rag, camera, gps and camelbak, that was it. And this was no simple field op either, this was a hard core mout environment. I did not feel like I was missing anything, and all my gear performed perfectly.

Lay out your loadout and think about how to consolidate it into the simplest kit.
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »
I think the answer to this question lies in what you plan on carrying.  Mags, Radio, Water, reloading capability, etc.

The Plate Carrier with no cummerbund is 12 PALS columns across, which is not a whole lot of real estate, but you can certainly get by with it if you're not carrying a whole lot.  Remember that your radio and hydration can go on the back.

If you do get one - http://www.practicaltactical.net/prosto ... ith/Detail

Offline Seedy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
Quote from: "Ganef"
Plate carriers have more nylon restricting airflow and are just going to be hotter than chest rigs with less area.

Part of what raith was getting at with this thread is to take a serious look at what you need on the field and build your kit around that. Don't buy some vest with every pouch imaginable and then fill every slot.

I rethink my kit for every major event. For instance I in the previous years have used a fully integrated kit meaning that my hydration, ammo and everything was on one platform. This last game I tried out having my hydration on a separate system. I slimmed down my mag count to 6, I carried 8 pistol speedloaders to offset the lack of immediate mags, I had a radio, bag of bbs, red rag, camera, gps and camelbak, that was it. And this was no simple field op either, this was a hard core mout environment. I did not feel like I was missing anything, and all my gear performed perfectly.

Lay out your loadout and think about how to consolidate it into the simplest kit.

yes last weekend was badass indeed  :)
I don't intend on filling up my whole carrier with pouches, I'll just have on me what I need.
I've had chest rigs in the past, I use a SPEARS rig right now, but want to switch over to a modern plate carrier because I like the "look".
once I get my carrier all I'll have on it is four double M4 mag pouches, a large medical pouch just to keep crap in like BB's and what-not, an admin pouch with velcro on the front to stick name tape on and keeps maps inside, a hydration carrier on the back and a radio pouch on top of that. that should be about it unless I find the need for anything else.

Offline Seedy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »
Quote from: "Raith"
I think the answer to this question lies in what you plan on carrying.  Mags, Radio, Water, reloading capability, etc.

The Plate Carrier with no cummerbund is 12 PALS columns across, which is not a whole lot of real estate, but you can certainly get by with it if you're not carrying a whole lot.  Remember that your radio and hydration can go on the back.

If you do get one - http://www.practicaltactical.net/prosto ... ith/Detail

the plain carrier without the cummerbund would probably work if I just wanted the four M4 double mag pouches across the front but I also like having a "stash bag" like an medical pouch and there would be no place to put that without the extra real estate the cummerbund offers on the sides.
I'm going to get the one that you linked to.
better to have the cummerbund and be able to remove it then get the one without it and not have one at all.
thanks for all your help.

Offline DMAN007

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 08:07:25 PM »
This is a great post, it helps out a lot since I've recently been looking for a good gear setup and this gave me several ideas, thanks again