Author Topic: Suggestions for electric sniper?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Baron Defier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Suggestions for electric sniper?
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »
Hello everyone, i would like to get a sniper, but when we play we do 3 hits down, with medics, so, a bolt action sniper would be horrible for me. i can move the bolt, aim, and fire fast, but id be scewed before i got to the third shot.  Id like suggestions to a semi auto sniper, something with good range and power. Under $250 please. Anything at all?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
Don\'t you hate the little braggers who say they are good at something but they suck?

Offline steyraug223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for electric sniper?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »
I like the m14 match length rifle for counter sniping and extended range shooting a lot. You can't have the full 500 fps that a lot of fields allow for snipers but when it comes to extended range shooting I have yet to find anything better. To be honest though it requires a move from "sniping" and to being a DMR, though I think airsoft favors DMRs over snipers anyway.
The fecal matter just hit the spinning apparatus.

USN

Offline Crono0001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://jagxops.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »
An M16 or M14 can be upgraded to your needed FPS, and if you disable full auto (required for many events), you've got a killer sniper rifle.
I know AxisOfOil has a badass M16 sniper.

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »
My gun also can't be built for $250. And it isn't allowed at many events.
M14's are good choices. AKs can be made to perform exceptionally well on the cheap too. Those two guns have hopups that work very well and are very adjustable, which is extremely important to long-range fire.

Offline Baron Defier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:29 AM »
Thank you guys, id still like more suggstions other than the m14, it sounds good but im not sure. Please keep the suggestions coming!
Don\'t you hate the little braggers who say they are good at something but they suck?

Offline steyraug223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
Quote from: "axisofoil"
My gun also can't be built for $250. And it isn't allowed at many events.
M14's are good choices. AKs can be made to perform exceptionally well on the cheap too. Those two guns have hopups that work very well and are very adjustable, which is extremely important to long-range fire.

I will be the first to agree with axis and that a AK47/74 with a full length barrel makes for a very good extended range gun. My only complaint with them is that for going prone I find the AK mag to get in the way. I like my shorter M14 mags a hell of a lot more.

A big point for sniping and countersniping though is if you are playing desert/urban/etc because it influences what you are going to want. Personally I think that for CQB and such my M14 is one of the worst guns ever made and I will stick towards the back, however I wouldn't want a AK for desert play at all.

USN

Offline BeachsideCorpse

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
M14s make great DMRs, but they aren't cheap when you intend to use them in that position.  You could probably pick up a g&g m14 for about $260.  With an scs nub and appropriate bucking you could probably not worry about upgrading it for quite a while.

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
Well, you can always get SVD mags for the AK to shorten them. But I do agree... regular AK mags are ginormous. It's ridiculous.

I use my full length AKs74 for all around play, and my SR16 for long-range engagements.

The SR16 is firing in DMR/sniper fps range, and semi only, and the AK is full auto, firing at just under 400fps. Both have upgrades that make them pretty accurate at range. The SR16 is a great sniper/countersniper platform, while the AK can be used for countersniping or mid-range assaulting.

For either it is useful to have a secondary such as a reliable pistol for CQB engagements, as they're just too long to maneuver corners in tight spaces.

Offline Baron Defier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »
I plan to use this sniper for desert play if that helps specifics.

Offline steyraug223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »
The AK mags are only really bad when you are trying to go prone or trying to carry a lot of them. I have considered doing an AK with a battle belt about 6 mags and a "suicide rig" for playing opfor. Throw on my camelback and some grenade pouches and I would seriously be set.

Baron for desert I personally prefer as much range as possible because you can see your enemy so far out it isn't even funny. For me that means the m14 (or similar weapon) that I can get low on some cover with. Plus the long barrel weapons really do allow for some harassing fire outside of shorter barrel's range which can really be used efficiently in a desert enviroment.

USN

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
Guide to a Budget m16-type DMR:
Buy a cheap used Full length M16/URX/SR16 etc. Free float handguard, one piece or high quality two-piece outer barrel is a must. You might have to upgrade to this if you can't find it on the gun of your choosing
Replace the hopup unit, bucking, and nub. (I like king arms units, g&g green buckings, and element h nubs)
Replace the barrel with a tb (I have had good experience with the AirsoftGI Brand 6.01)
Get higher rate of spring. (Guarder SP130 or higher for real DMR performance)
Buy some HIGH quality BBs, mid-heavyweight (.28-.36).

Make sure the gears are shimmed perfectly, and your piston is in good shape. The cylinder head, piston head/oring, and the nozzle all need to be high quality and in good shape to ensure repeatable fps.

You'll probably need to upgrade gears/motor/battery/piston/gearbox and move to solid bushings if you go much above a 130.
Finally, sorbothane pads on the cylinder head can help adjust AoE and reduce stress on the gearbox and also quiet down the whole system.

Chances are, $250 isn't going to get you to a DMR-class weapon. Especially if you start with a new gun instead of used.

Guide to a cheap and fairly accurate gun:
Get a dboys/cyma/kalash AK with a full length outer barrel (New or used)
Get a M120 or SP110 spring, bearing spring guide, and a modify polycarb piston, and piston head.
Get an airseal nozzle.
Get a new hopup bucking and nub (Once again, I love the G&G greens + Element H nubs)
Get a tightbore (Madbull 6.03's work great for this when you're on a tight budget).

Easy to do under $250, but won't get you looooong distance. Just above average distance.

Offline Baron Defier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I like above two ideas. Anyone agree?

Offline VTT

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
I agree with Axis. If you are going to put a scope on your gun I do not recommend an AK. M16 is the way to go in my opinion. The budget of $250 may be hard to accomplish with the M16 though.
VTT - Volk Tactical Team.

Offline Baron Defier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »
I think I might get a m14 from someone already somewhat upgraded. Thanks for suggestions everyone! BIIIIG help!

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
Quote from: "axisofoil"
AKs can be made to perform exceptionally well on the cheap too. Those two guns have hopups that work very well and are very adjustable, which is extremely important to long-range fire.

agreed, ak's would fit your purpose quite well.

otherwise, go spring and you can get some serious bang for your buck if you shop smart. that requires more discipline then using an AEG or gas-powered weapons platform, but I think its a blast.. (no pun intended)
see you space cowboy...