Author Topic: Modify Quantum Piston  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Major payne

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Master Sergeant
  • Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum. What beanstalk did you fall from?
    • View Profile
Modify Quantum Piston
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »
Hello everyone,
      So I have done some looking through the AA threads and I have not found a review on the Modify Quantum piston. I will go through the build/material, user friendlyness, and the performance.

I purchased the Modify Quantum Piston from Adam of Tactical Airsoft Guns and Gear (InDrmz) AKA Shock & Awe in the AA community for $45 in late July.

NOTE: This product was tested and used extensively in a KWA 2GX gearbox. I am NOT responsible for any issues that may or may not arise if you use this product

Link to the the product: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_148_615&products_id=6854

Build and Material
The Build is very nice and surprisingly light for such a robust piston. The poly carbonate body lacks the mold lines/seams seen on many other pistons which is nice and provides a nice clean looking piston. The teeth are hardened steel, with a titanium coating. The coating is very durable, and does not show signs of wear after thousands of rounds. The rails are cut nicely and to spec and allow the lubricant to work its way around and on the rails giving the piston smooth movement. Although never seen by anyone else but the one putting the piston in the gearbox it is a very sexy looking piston...I am contemplating purchasing one just to put one by my pillow so I can wake up to its beauty every morning. After using all sorts of pistons such as G&G poly carbs, the JG's with steel teeth, CA's, and some Systema's in my opinion Modify was able to retain an incredible and very desirable amount of strength in structure of the piston while maintaining a weight much less than the competitors. And to top things off, Modify removed the second to last tooth of the piston, which is a big bonus in my opinion. I have no complaints about Modify's choice of material, and the appearance on this piston body.

User Friendlyness
There is not much to expand on as far as user friendlyness goes on piston bodies. Usually they work like a dream or they don't fit at all. In my KWA gearbox this piston fit like a dream and glided along my rails easily and smoothly. The teeth were just the right length and it took no modification to install this piston in my gearbox. As mentioned earlier the piston already has the second to last tooth removed which saves me a lot of time and stress when grinding on such a nice...and pricey object.The only thing I did have to do in order to make the piston mesh correctly raise the sector gear, through shimming to get the teeth meshing in the proper manner.  Again the Modify Piston escapes without any complaints.

Functionality/Preformance
I am blown away with the performance of the Quantum piston. I have cycled over 15,000 rounds through my gun since the piston was installed in July, and the piston still holds strong with only one slight wear mark on the third to last tooth! I am completely surprised. I am running a s130 spring, at 20BPS, (ran it at 27bps on a s120 for 4,000 rounds) the same configuration that destroyed the KWA stock piston, and the piston holds firm ready to take whatever I can throw at it.

Conclusion:

I have no complaints on this product. I was nervous about dropping $45 dollars on a piston, it was the first time buying a piston of the quality and price before. And I must say it is a "you get what you pay for" moment. This piston is ready for high ROF, and high FPS. I am not disappointed in anyway with the investment and I feel confident and I trust that when I get on the field my piston will be in tact and when I exit the field my piston will be in tact. I hope you found my review somewhat helpful. I am always open to tips and criticisms along with further questions on the topic.

Thanks,
Garrett

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:33:31 AM by Major payne »
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend

G4-A1 Hard Externals with Custom GB
2x KJW Custom Glock 23's

Offline Major payne

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Master Sergeant
  • Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum. What beanstalk did you fall from?
    • View Profile
Re: Modify Quantum Piston
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
UPDATE: So I ran the piston on a 130 spring with an Echo 1 Max Speed motor and an 11.1 5000 MAH Lipo for an additional 10,000+ plus rounds and ruined a gearset but the piston still looks like new
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend

G4-A1 Hard Externals with Custom GB
2x KJW Custom Glock 23's