Author Topic: Possible "BATTLEGROUND" Updated with Pics! 08-05-0  (Read 2540 times)

Offline MIKEY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
Possible "BATTLEGROUND" Updated with Pics! 08-05-0
« on: August 05, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »
What's going on everyone! :D

There is a wonderful place East of Queen Valley, AZ that would make a great battleground for future Ops.  The area is called Withlow Ranch Flood Control Basin.  You can go to Google Earth and see a SAT/PIC of the area.  Location: 33 18'00.21 N / 111 16'11.07 W

I was discussing this location on another topic and a few people seem to have heard of it and have been in the area.  Now Withlow Dam itself is OFF LIMITS, but the Res to the East is not!  The Dam is under the control of the Army Corps. of Engineers and Pinal County (a.k.a. Penis County)  I shot paint out there during my paintball days and had a great time.  It's also known as "The Jungle".  Further East there is a dry river bed and there are canyons to the NE, E, SE, S of the area.

It would make a great location for Desert Ops and it close to the valley.  Check it out on Google Earth and let me know what you fella's think.

OK FELLA'S HERE YOU GO!  PICTURE TIME!!!

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!
This is the East entry point...

There is plenty of "Dead Ground" all over the area!  Plenty of cover and defalade.

More cover....

There are some open areas....if you are caught out here with your pants down....your a deadman!  :twisted:

More cover and some open area to the West...You can see what the Monsoons have been doing to the area...

There is great cover all over the area along with trails, changing elevations, etc...

This is the trail in from the East entry point...as you can see the rain is here.  The water was about 1.5 deep with another 8" of sticky mud!  I did not even take my truck down after seeing this! :shock:

This area makes great sniper country as well.  If your going to ghillie up...make sure you lean more towards "woodland" because of the season.  Lots of greens right now. :D

Here is another two shots of some trails in The Jungle!  Hmmm, could there be an ambush waiting for your team???

Good Ambush sight indeed! :twisted:

Me fine-tunin the 324 after installing modifications.

Posing for the press! :D

My wife Donna tryin here hand at the 324.....

And THIS is what she did to me at 103.26 feet!  Well...according to the range finder....Ouch!  And it still hurts!  :cry:

So there you go fella's....A taste of what The Jungle has to offer.  I would have pics of the dam and stuff...but the batteries were dyin in the cam.  My bad!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:47:43 PM by MIKEY »

"Only the dead have seen the end of War." -Plato-

Offline ValhallenAngel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »
I'd like to see a new AO. Sounds great.

Is there much cover out there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by ValhallenAngel »

Offline PolandsLeftTesticle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:00:28 PM »
For those of you who need them;

They're all linked to a map of directions on how to get there from Phoenix.

I love the looks of the place. Hopefully someone'll set up a game there soon. It'd suck to get stuck in that river bed during a storm.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PolandsLeftTesticle »
Quote from: \"SHIHAN\"
I never knew that three inches was the minimum length for a handgun barrel. I guess all of the anti-gun politicians wont be able to register their penises.

Offline Farslayer

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »
wow..some bad-ass bush.  good job mikey.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Farslayer »
Benn

Offline ValhallenAngel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 06:18:11 PM »
Yeah. Ok that answers the question for 6 months- 3 years ago. Does it still look like that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by ValhallenAngel »

Offline Cochise116

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
Last January it did, There was alot of paint around as well and it is quite I hike down since you cant drive. over the dam.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Cochise116 »

Offline MIKEY

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 07:47:11 PM »
Ok Fella's.....I just got back from Hewitt Dam.   We are good to go!  I had not been out there for at least 3 to 6 months....so I went out this afternoon to do a little scouting and zero in my Rifle.  Now the dam itself is off limits but the spill way and res are ok.  I did not see any NO TRESSPASSING signs anywhere on the east side of the dam.  NOW they are all over the dam!  STAY OFF the dam and we will be ok.  I have some pictures that I took today that I will post later tonight.  Trust me fella's  you are going to LOVE THIS AO!  Plus we don't have to drive 3 hours to get to it.  It's in our backyard so to speak.  Now, there is a new sign posted saying "NO TARGET SHOOTING".  So we can't shoot real steel as of now.  Must have been changed recently.  This is because there are alot of off-roaders and bikes etc... that like to ride in the area.  I would like to get ahold of our AA event people and take them out for a look see.  We might be able to set up an event or somthing.  I'll post up the pics later tonight for you guys.  Trust me....the pics do not do this area any justice.  The AO is just Fu@king Beautyful!!!

Keep it real!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:07:08 PM by MIKEY »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »
Do you know what sort of land it is?

The other Mikey and I are planning on going out there sometime, but haven't checked it's status on the County Assessor's website yet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline MIKEY

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 07:53:45 PM »
You don't need to get to the area from the West side of the Dam.  You turn LEFT onto QUEEN VALLEY RD. from the US60.  You take that until you come to HEWITT STATION RD. (Dirt RD.) and make a RIGHT.  This road will take you all the way to the east side of the area.  Look on the SAT/PICS and you will see the roads in the area to get there.  It's a bitch to get in from the West.  And if you don't have a four wheel drive...could be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by MIKEY »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 07:56:52 PM »
Yeah, he's been there, and I have a good idea of where it is. Four wheel drive won't be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline GrimUSMC

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 08:42:36 PM »
Sweet spot. Is the way there 4x4 accessible only? and if it is what would you rate it for 4x4 LOL
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by GrimUSMC »
Locate, Close With, Destroy

Offline MIKEY

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 10:55:57 PM »
Pics Are up!!! Check out the AO....and to answer Vince, the area is legit.  There are no postings other then on the "physical dam".  I talked with a few quad ridin old men who stopped to check out my rifle.  The area is open.  You just can't go onto the dam and now you can't shoot "real steel" in the area because of all the dirt bike riding and such...  If they wanted to close the area....they would have done it along time ago...

Offline seanm028

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all those pics, looks awesome.

Hope someone plans a game out there soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by seanm028 »

Offline MIKEY

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »
Heck!  Get the word out now!  Start sindin it out on the forum...LOCK AND LOAD BOYS!

Offline Ghostsequel

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 01:45:04 AM »
Hot damn, that place looks fun.  Definately gotta get a game going there sometime soon.

As far as roads go, how accessible is this place?  What kind of vehicles could make it here?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ghostsequel »