Linked Events

• OP GREENHORN 2 : June 16, 2012

Author Topic: Team Phantom Hosts OP GREENHORN II June 16th  (Read 25730 times)

Offline Warlord

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Master Sergeant
  • CROSSFIRE
    • View Profile
Re: Team Phantom Hosts OP GREENHORN 2 June 16th
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
Forest game???? YEEEES!

Can't wait! Been eager for a forest game ever since The Battle for Prescottonia last year.

We hosted one a couple weeks ago in the rim, it was awesome, we mainly played through the night and throughout the day saturday. It was when the moon was closest to the earth.

Snipers had the best advantage.
Team Crossfire
Position: Any and Every

Offline Dayton

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
The game is definitely a go unless there is a closure, But one of our team members works for the Forest Service, (working on the fire atm) and will inform us of any closures affecting our play. If anything happens, we will be sure to let you all know.
Fox Company | Tournament Locks
Main: JP Polarstar, Magpul PTS ACR, ARES Tavor TAR-21
Side Arm: KWA HK45, KWA Umarex H&K MP7
Other: AT-4, Defusable Bomb, Mortar

Offline AF1Fighter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »
Signed 8)

Offline vibora

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
  • Mile High Airsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
The 450fps w/ .25g bbs limit wasn't a misprint was it?  I could understand if you meant .2g bbs, but with safety distance set at 50 feet, that's pretty hot.  I know I bitch on these boards a lot about FPS limits, but I was going to bring my team out to this event, and I would like to make sure it'll be safe.  That doesn't sound very safe to me; I've seen eyepro fail at those velocities, and I've never met a teenager who overestimated safety distances.  Any chance you could change it to something a little slower?

Offline SpiritOfSimo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
The 450fps w/ .25g bbs limit wasn't a misprint was it?  I could understand if you meant .2g bbs, but with safety distance set at 50 feet, that's pretty hot...

Any chance you could change it to something a little slower?

This is going to be out in the forest. The average engagement distance will be generously greater than 50 feet, with the only exceptions being:

1) Negligent Discharges by team mates, or
2) you step on a patch of grass that turns out to be a ghillie suit, and      ::cue pokemon music::

"A wild sniper appears!"

Realistically, I think losing a tooth more likely, so bring mouth pro if you're still (understandably) concerned. Last year in prescott, I almost took a face full of friendly fire because a team mate just happened to get startled by me in my ghillie suit (and I was standing still!)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:55:13 PM by SpiritOfSimo »

A sheepdog can bite from any distance.

Offline Warlord

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Master Sergeant
  • CROSSFIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
The 450fps w/ .25g bbs limit wasn't a misprint was it?  I could understand if you meant .2g bbs, but with safety distance set at 50 feet, that's pretty hot.  I know I bitch on these boards a lot about FPS limits, but I was going to bring my team out to this event, and I would like to make sure it'll be safe.  That doesn't sound very safe to me; I've seen eyepro fail at those velocities, and I've never met a teenager who overestimated safety distances.  Any chance you could change it to something a little slower?

Its not extreme, we all wear paintball masks and shoot each other point blank sometimes with 430 fps with .2g its fine. I honestly have never seen our goggles fail under any fps we have put them too including a point blank sniper test (500fps point blank), it left almost no trace.

Might consider getting better protection, just my 2 cents.
Team Crossfire
Position: Any and Every

Offline Shadow

• Sergeant Major
  • Tappin' fools from 300'+
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

The intention is to go "one step up" in terms of joules and increase the engagement distance.  Normally, AA games are 419fps w/0.2g, which is 1.62J (375 w/0.25g).  Our speeds would put it at 2.3J, which is still significantly lower than AA sniper speeds with a MED 25 feet further (3.32J).  We'll discuss it, possibly putting it still higher than the norm 1.62J but not as hot as 2.3J.

I'll give you a little hint though: it obviously looks like the purpose of this game is working already :) It's meant to encourage more tactical decisions because there are stiffer consequences.  Knowing the other guy is shooting hotter than normal may help you think twice about running-and-gunning.  But yes, we are also considering safety...

Also, there's a reason why the game is limited to 18+.
Six Charlie
Phantom Retired
Prop Wash Gang

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »
the higher energy limits are what attracted me to this event in the first place... just sayin'
see you space cowboy...

Offline vibora

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Corporal
  • Mile High Airsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
I guess I just don't understand then.  I can reasonably see going up to 450 w/.2 g BBs, as I understand it is an outdoor forest event.  However, putting the FPS limits above what is realistically capable in an AEG (seemingly just because you can) is my problem.  I know there probably won't be any anybody cranking full auto at 475fps with .2s, but the possibility of someone attempting it gives me pause.  I also see the chances of this going down dramatically with this event being an "18 and over" thing, but still.  I hope you see my point.  I also understand that this is still not up to the "sniper" fps limits; that's why they are sniper limits.  The point is to give snipers a distinct range advantage; when everybody is shooting AEGs as hot as your limits are set, that advantage is eliminated (if not severely cut back).  BBs can only go so far, gentlemen.

Its not extreme, we all wear paintball masks and shoot each other point blank sometimes with 430 fps with .2g its fine. I honestly have never seen our goggles fail under any fps we have put them too including a point blank sniper test (500fps point blank), it left almost no trace.

Might consider getting better protection, just my 2 cents.

See above points.  It is a little extreme.  What you want to do with your buddies is on you, but if you shoot me point blank with a gun shooting that hot, you should expect a boot up your ass.  If I attended this event, I would most certainly be wearing my mask (Dye i4), so sufficient protection isn't an issue for me.  Honestly, wearing anything less than full face protection would be asking for trouble.  However, in this case, I speak for others who may show up at this event without a great set of eyepro.  As long as a point is made by the game admins to check these, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll give you a little hint though: it obviously looks like the purpose of this game is working already :) It's meant to encourage more tactical decisions because there are stiffer consequences.  Knowing the other guy is shooting hotter than normal may help you think twice about running-and-gunning.  But yes, we are also considering safety...

Lastly, I really don't understand this whole "fps is faster, play automatically becomes more tacticool" idea.  I've heard it on these boards a couple of times (usually when I bring up this point ;)), and I can't even describe how much I disagree with this.  All it does is encourage camping and injuries.  You will not lessen people's stupidity with added pain, nor will your head be on more of a swivel than it already was (if it is, you were doing something wrong).  Tactical awareness is there or it isn't; it doesn't work in degrees.  In short, I can figure out that flanking maneuver was a stupid idea without having to dig BBs out of my arm.  On the flipside, that guy you just caught making a bad tactical decision is still out, whether you shot him with a pellet going 350fps or 450fps.  Causing him more pain than is necessary to "punish" him (or her) for that decision just doesn't make sense to me.

If anybody wishes to continue this discussion via PM, please feel free to message me.  I am from the PacNW, and they do things a little different up there.  I honestly would love to talk to a senior member of this community about this issue in particular, and why you guys do what you do.  For real, before I stop threadjacking, I am not trying to diss this event, or personally call out any of the people who posted here.  I want to bring my team out to an event that's not just us and not in Prescott (it's boring here ;D), and this looks like a great game to do that.  Thanks to TPA_shadow for working with me on this issue.  As long as safety is a priority, I will be signing up about 4 for tan in a couple days.

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
The intention is to go "one step up" in terms of joules and increase the engagement distance.  Normally, AA games are 419fps w/0.2g, which is 1.62J (375 w/0.25g).  Our speeds would put it at 2.3J, which is still significantly lower than AA sniper speeds with a MED 25 feet further (3.32J).  We'll discuss it, possibly putting it still higher than the norm 1.62J but not as hot as 2.3J.

AA fps rules for AEGs have always been 400fps with 0.2 gram bb.  which is 1.48J, not 1.62J. 

As for my personal opinion, the average player can't judge minimum engagement distances if their life depended on it, I'd let them shoot close and make them run to cover to get into effective engagement distances. I know the field has a lot of open ground to cover where you are probably hoping the fps increase will help to balance this out but there are also plenty of areas that you can get in fairly close.  I too don't see how an increase of fps, increases tactical play but to each their own.   

The game host can set their own FPS limits as long as they are clearly posted before hand and the player so chooses to attend, full knowing those limits and minimum engagement distances.     

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline berzerker

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
I'm in not sure if I'm camping or not though.

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »
However, putting the FPS limits above what is realistically capable in an AEG (seemingly just because you can) is my problem.  I know there probably won't be any anybody cranking full auto at 475fps with .2s, but the possibility of someone attempting it gives me pause.

three words for you: polarstar fusion engine

see you space cowboy...

Offline Shdsteel

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Are cannons allowed?

Offline svataz

• Sergeant First Class