Author Topic: Hello, very new to this.  (Read 1722 times)

Offline McMoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
  • Six Charlie Alpha
    • View Profile
Hello, very new to this.
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
Hello,

My name is McMoose (or John, either/or). I very recently go interested in airsoft (recently being Last Wednesday). I have been doing a lot of research lately into the sport but really without knowing whats good or where to go I have kind of hit a dead end.

I bought a very cheap spring action pistol from big5 and have a cheap rifle coming from ebay. I don't intend on it being a long term thing, I just want to see if I like what I am getting into before dropping the big money on a rifle.

I have no idea where to go around here or what groups there are as I have only lived in AZ for around a year coming from South Carolina (originally from England). Just trying to see if its big around here and who is around. Also another thing I am a little concerned about, and I apologize in advance if I am stereotyping, that is not my intention but there is no indirect way to ask this question, what is the common age group for airsofters (airsoftists?), I am 26 and would like to at least play with people around my own age.

Anywho, just wanted to shoot a message.

Moose

Offline Watch_Dog

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, very new to this.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
Welcome Moose! Im Watch Dog, or zac. Its a fun time and im sure you will love it. Now where you live in Az depends on where you can play. As far as i know the east valley has gearbox(mesa/tempe i think) and the west side(surprise/suncity) has hatfield which is free to play and fighter town which is $20(dont hold me to that price tho). And ages depend, down at harfield where i play has many ages mostly people in their 20's, afew teens(17-19), and some above 20.
name: Zac Colley
primary: Ak47 kalashnikov

Offline theFlyingTrumpet

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
Sup dude! There are quite a few older players in this community. Many games are strictly 18+, especially the mil-sim (military simulation) games. Check out the RSVP section of the forum for games. Hope to see you out on the field!
Mazatzal Security Solutions - MSS Airsoft Team
"Medic! Medic! ......GINGY!!!!"

Offline Archer

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »
Welcome Moose! Im Watch Dog, or zac. Its a fun time and im sure you will love it. Now where you live in Az depends on where you can play. As far as i know the east valley has gearbox(mesa/tempe i think) and the west side(surprise/suncity) has hatfield which is free to play and fighter town which is $20(dont hold me to that price tho). And ages depend, down at harfield where i play has many ages mostly people in their 20's, afew teens(17-19), and some above 20.

this guy is a little confused on where to play, Gearbox is an airsoft retail store. they sell parts, guns and gear. places to play include; VIP, in gilbert, Fightertown in northwest surprise. Hatfield and Fuji are free AO's that are hosted by local teams. keep an eye on the games listings and see what you want to do. i would try some of the free games before moving on to the pay fields.

welcome to AA! let us know if you have any questions.

-Archer
Team A.D.M.

Offline xXmusicimpactXx

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
England and SoCal? Man you came from some huge airsoft communities haha. Welcome to AZ and the forums. For free outdoor games, most weekends there are games at the "New Hatfield" location. There are also a few regulated fields here. Fort Adobe which is run by a store called Arizona Paintball Depot, Fightertown, and if you're looking for some indoor/CQC action there's Vanguard down in Gilbert. If you're looking to try out an electric gun before you buy one, you can rent one from Vanguard, so it might be worth you checking it out. Plus, deciding whether you prefer field or CQC play will help you better narrow down a gun to buy, should you choose to in the future. Happy airsofting!

Offline Watch_Dog

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »

this guy is a little confused on where to play, Gearbox is an airsoft retail store. they sell parts, guns and gear. places to play include; VIP, in gilbert, Fightertown in northwest surprise. Hatfield and Fuji are free AO's that are hosted by local teams. keep an eye on the games listings and see what you want to do. i would try some of the free games before moving on to the pay fields.

welcome to AA! let us know if you have any questions.

-Archer
Yup sorry i erased and never finished the full thing   ::) whoops. But thanks for pointing this out.
name: Zac Colley
primary: Ak47 kalashnikov

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
Hi Moose,

It is a very respectable thing to get your feet wet before investing a lot into something new to you.  Everyone has started there.  There are various types of airsoft out there ranging from speed paintball type games to capture the flag and then military simulation games. Go to a few different type of games and see what you like best.  Games are hosted by a wide range of people, be prepared to drive good distances for legit playing areas.  The best test to see if the area you will be playing at is legal, is if it passes for shooting real guns at the location. If you can safely and legally shoot a real gun at the location, then you are good to go.  So that being said most games are not within city limits, we don't need the bad press. Sometimes we have permission to utilize a few Guard facilities.  Also, most games you will find here on AA will state they are 18+ only, due to several reasons.  One being legality and the other is because some people prefer to spend their time with other adults who share the same interests. Most of the games I attend ranging from adults being 18-50, average age probably mid 20's to mid 30's. You probably will have a lot of questions so please feel free to utilize the search feature as many threads can help answer a lot of them, or ask people at a few games.  If you still have unanswered questions after searching, feel free to ask.

Here is one group that hosts milsim type events 2-3 times a year. The next event is in the planning stages for the next few months.  http://www.combatchallenge.org/challenge.php  Good luck and hope to see you on the field sometime.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Fresnel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Accuracy by Volume
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »
Hatfield and Fuji are free AO's that are hosted by local teams.
Isn't Fuji a no-go field? Because I'm pretty sure it's listed on the no-go field list.

Offline Red Devil

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »
Isn't Fuji a no-go field? Because I'm pretty sure it's listed on the no-go field list.
We play there but don't post it on here. A couple people have the authorization from the owner to play on it. I have seen the email the owner sent.
82nd Airborne 1989-1993 Rangers Lead The Way

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline Archer

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »
We play there but don't post it on here. A couple people have the authorization from the owner to play on it. I have seen the email the owner sent.

thanks for clarifying that :)
Team A.D.M.

Offline Paradox

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
Fuji is still illegal to play at. The person who provided you the information Which is an APN of 304-34-021Q doesn't own the land there.

That person which was mentioned above does not own Fuji Field. Again which leads me to tell you it's still illegal to play there.

Fuji's APN is 304-34-19Q/R/S Owned by Femcon Inc. Which is Foreclosed on and owned by a bank. I don't care if you have a "Email to play there" It's not legal.
Team Phantom(Retired),2006-2013
Six Charlie

Offline Archer

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
Fuji is still illegal to play at. The person who provided you the information Which is an APN of 304-34-021Q doesn't own the land there.

That person which was mentioned above does not own Fuji Field. Again which leads me to tell you it's still illegal to play there.

Fuji's APN is 304-34-19Q/R/S Owned by Femcon Inc. Which is Foreclosed on and owned by a bank. I don't care if you have a "Email to play there" It's not legal.

i stand corrected, lol, thanks for the more in depth answer. i personally have never played that so i wasnt to sure if it was still a field we could go.
Team A.D.M.

Offline McMoose

• Corporal
  • Six Charlie Alpha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
Wow, hello guys. Thank for the awesome replies. I will for sure check out gearbox this weekend, get a feel for where I want to go with this. Will do some research around these forums.

1 question, kinda hard to word this one into a search engine, Is there a good list of meanings for airsoft terminology, like what shimming is and metal gearboxes?

Thank for the responses guys, hope to see you on the field sometime.

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Master Sergeant
  • No Longer Cujo :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
Welcome McMoose,

As to info Google is your friend on much airsoft info...
I am just a chalk line on the sidewalk waiting for the next rain to wash me off...
For the time I am here I am what I am...