Author Topic: My PC upgrade saga... for BF2  (Read 823 times)

Offline Paco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
My PC upgrade saga... for BF2
« on: August 02, 2005, 09:25:56 AM »
Well, I've been playing BF2 on my aging system:

MSI KT3 Motherboard (only 4X AGP)
AMD XP 1600+ (non-overclocked)
512MB RAM (PC2100/266MHz)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
SB Audigy 2
Maxtor 40GB HDD (ATA100)

I upgraded it to 1GB RAM a month or so ago and that improved things a bit, but after I found someone willing to sell me a slightly used, but never OC'ed Athlon XP 3000+/400MHz CPU for $60, I decided it was time to upgrade.  Now my sound card is pretty good and my video card is decent, but the rest was really holding me back.  I ran BF2 in 800x600 with medium settings and it ran at a good FPS with no stuttering, but at the price of that CPU, I figured I could afford a small upgrade.  I knew that the RAM I had in my system (@266MHz) would mean that my new CPU would be limited to ~1.75-1.8GHz instead of 2.1-2.2GHz without overclocking, but for $60, who cared?  I bought the processor and found out that my old motherboard would support the 3000+ processor with a BIOS update.  I did that and then took my PC apart to replace the processor.  As I popped the HSF off the motherboard, one of the tabs on the socket adapter - that holds the HSF on - broke clean off.  Damn!  I knew that it probably had to do with the age, considering that my MoBo was ~4 years old, and I ran the hell out of it.  Heat probably made it brittle.  I also knew that this simple failure meant that I wouldn't be able to use that MoBo for my new processor.  My simple $60 upgrade just got a lot more expensive and time consuming.  :x

Not wanting to have to completely reformat/reinstall, I decided that it would be best to try to find the same MoBo on eBay, after all, it was so old, it should be pretty cheap.  Nope.  Didn't find very many of the model I needed.  Oh well.  I told my wife what happened and she felt bad and offered to pick up a new MoBo while in town since she was near Fry's.  I gave her a model of a mobo that I thought might work well and it turned out that she found a much better model with more features and got a deal to boot.  She picked up an Abit NF7-S G2 and only paid $66 for it.  Wow.  Only "down side" was that it used an nForce2 400 Ultra chipset, which in and of itself wasn't really a down side except for the fact that my KT3 used a Via chipset which meant that a Windows reinstall/repair would be necessary.  Once she got the MoBo home, I saw that it had RAID and SATA built in - which was something I wasn't expecting.  I decided that I could spring a few more $$ to pick up some new hardware to go with it.  I dropped $87 for some Crucial memory (2x512 of PC3200, shipped FedEx 2 day) so I could get the full effect of my new processor, and dropped another $130 shipped for two Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB SATA150 drives.  Not bad - pretty much a new computer for less than $350.  My wife's computer will benefit from the additional memory she'll get as well.

Well, after all this, I am hoping to at least be able to run 1024x768/med for BF2 - though I thuroughly expect that to be attainable given what I could run before the "upgrade".  Yes, I plan on a RAID1 array, and not overclocking my Barton - call me cautious, but I prefer stability and redundancy over speed.

8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline Paco

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 04:03:05 PM »
Okay - I put in the two Maxtor SATA150 drives.  My computer has started doing some funky stuff.  After I get through loading the RAID drivers and copying over files for Win install, the computer shuts off (sometimes it's during the Win install) and makes an alternating beep noise (high - low - high - low) and continues until I unplug the computer.  It has me at a loss.  The beeps are nothing like bad CPU or bad Video or bad RAM beeps - these are of a completely different type.

Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Paco »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 06:18:30 PM »
Well I currently upgraded my self after getting some kind of virus that wipped out one of my hard drives.  My antivirus was out dated : (

I upgraded to a Pentium 4 3.2ghz
with an asrock motherboard (8xAGP)
And also upgraded to windows XP from Win98 and got Norton Anti-virus 2005.

The rest is what I had in my old computer before...
BFG Nivida Fx 5700 OC 256mb Graphics Card.
512mb Pc2100 Ram

OH man it runs so much better than the old Celeron 1.8ghz and win98!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.