Author Topic: HOP Up wheel hard to spin  (Read 3311 times)

Offline chainsaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
HOP Up wheel hard to spin
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:29:31 PM »
Ok, This is on my ICS c-15 or SR-16 and I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to make the hop up adjustment easier to spin, at the moment it is very difficult.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 08:30:03 PM »
Well, you could always turn the screw on the hop up wheel...Sometimes that helps..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 08:42:30 PM »
Well thanks busta what exactley do you meam, i am trying to not have to take apart my gat just yet.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 08:44:45 PM »
If you can handle it, the best thing to do would be to remove it and inspect all the gears and plastic parts to make sure they move freely.  Do it without the bucking installed first, and then with.  

While you are at it, clean the unit, and place a drop of threadlocker on the tip of the screw that holds in the adjustment wheel (taking care not to get any on the wheel itself).  This will keep the screw stationary in relation to the unit, rather than the wheel, which turns.  This will prevent the screw from tightening (which may be what's causing the difficulty in rotation), or worse - the screw falling out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 08:45:05 PM »
Have you ever adjusted it? Are you going in the wrong direction? It's pretty tight for me as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 08:48:13 PM »
Well, christain I know I should but I am not yet comfortable taking my gat apart so I think ill have bucket look at it for the 1st time with me.

And vince I have tried both ways and I did adjust it on sat. when I was playing with bucket.

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »
Easy to do.  Pop out the pins, and tilt forward, the receivers will come apart.  Pull out the upper part of your mechbox, then pull out the barrel.  Takes a minute, if that.  The hop up is the only "hard" thing to take apart, and if you put everything in order, you can reassemble it without any problems.  Just be careful that you don't loose any pieces, so do this over a tiled area, or a white bedsheet if you can only work above a carpeted area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Dust2Dust »

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 09:03:35 PM »
Aright I will try to do tomarow So I can use a wooded floor with a white sheet over it, only issue is getting it back together, why is hop up hard to take apart.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 09:30:18 PM »
The HOPUP unit is one of the easiest assemblies to take apart on an AEG.

If you don't feel 100% comfortable, ask for help the first time, like you mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 09:33:21 PM »
Alright, I think i might although I feel and have heard (one reason I bought an ICS) is the easy ablity to upgrade and take apart, also need to know how before I get a tightbore to put in.

Offline JoJockAmo

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »
Everyone knows an ICS hop-up is a style like an AUG or G3 not likr a CA or TM there is not much to take apart. total of 3 parts
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by JoJockAmo »

THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE! (and don\'t you forget it)

Offline Dust2Dust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • The SPHL
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 10:22:20 PM »
I put the hard in captions because out of the things I listed, that'd be the most difficult.  Nothing is really too difficult with AEGs other than getting used to shimming.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Dust2Dust »

Offline JoJockAmo

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 10:32:39 PM »
not that the ICS hop is hard or easy, its just that there is not much to it. not so many moving parts makes it little easier to find physical problems with the unit
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by JoJockAmo »

THIS IS CETI ALPHA FIVE! (and don\'t you forget it)

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 10:33:16 PM »
AEG's are the most finicky little pieces of shit ever...Ill just ask here...I noticed once I got my Gat working a few things:

-The piston SLAMS forward with a loud pop(has done this since I upgraded it)
-Seems to be very very loud now that I switched mechbox's.
-Its just bad sounding..Its lubed well and has "silent" parts in it...

I had a problem earlier with bb's not feeding correctly or just jamming altogether, rolling out etc, I messed with the hop and rebuilt it, but now My gun hops without the hop...If I turn it 1/8 of a turn its a 4-5ft hop at 100ft....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline m-79_Grenadier

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 12:41:25 AM »
Most problems that pertain to aegs are usually preventable when it comes to taking boxes apart and fooling with the hopup.

The loud "popping" of the piston that you described is normal when a gun is upgraded. When a heavier spring fith much more force than the stock spring is put behing the piston it is naturally going to hit harder. In doing so, the piston is supposed to sound like it is hitting harder as well.

A loud and bad sounding box is also very preventable. This is mostly caused by overlooking the tuning of the motor when the gun is reassembled. It is totally wrong to just put a mechbox back in and throw the motor in after, and expect everything to mesh together as is should.
The motor has to pe perfectly positioned so as to make the gears mesh prcisely as to make the least amount of gear noise. This adjustment can be easily made by turning the screw in the bottom grip in or out until the desired sound is aquired.

Hop up problems are another story. If one were never to change a hopup it should still theoretically work. Most hopup problems are caused by either one of two things.

1- the use of wrong oil in the chamber, which causes the rubber to expand slightly and make the bbs hop almost too much.

2- Cleaning the barrel while the hopup is on, causing eventual wear of the rubber and possible failure to operate.

AEGs are somewhat semi complex pieces of machinery and it takes time and experience to learn the ups and downs of these systems. I have spent years tearing down boxes and putting new parts or other types of accesories into them, and the most impertant part that I learned was to have patience. Taking you time and making sure that you have everything right will save you alot of headache in the future, and you wiont have to do it all over again.  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by m-79_Grenadier »
Owns the REEEEL THAAAANG!

"No, I shall not be attending the funeral services..... though I do highly approve." -Mark Twain