Author Topic: Suggestions for high fps project  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Adr3n4line

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
Suggestions for high fps project
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
What would I need to upgrade a version 2 gearbox to shoot around 500 fps. The gun i'll be working on is a g4-a3 DMR.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for high fps project
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
Sorbothane. And money
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Adr3n4line

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »
Oh really, I had no idea i needed money. lol
And isn't sorbothane the stuff they make insoles out of for shoes?

Offline DangleBanger

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:22:48 AM »
What brand is the rifle? I'm guessing Classic Army?
Don't "get some", Marines! Go get ALL of it!!!!

Offline morugatu

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
The G&G gearboxes are evil and difficult to work on. I'd say kick it down to something useable around 400-450fps, so probably a sp120 spring. Beyond that is unnecessary and likely will not be allowed into most games.

The stock internals are for the most part fine, however the stock bushings are not going to hold up long to that kind of stress, so I'd recommend getting some nice modify steel ones. You will need to reshim the gears by doing this, so some nice shims will help (try to get a pack that has the smallest width of shims as too large of shims are useless).

Also, as mentioned above, get some sorbothane (you'll want 70 Duro and yes its used in shoes as a shock absorber and works great for airsoft). Cut it and replace the stock rubber pad with this, then glue the rubber pad onto the back of the sorbothane pad to keep it from receiving wear from the piston head. This will help correct your AoE so the first tooth of the sector gear pulls on the first piston tooth at a 12 o'clock angle. Check the piston to make sure none of the piston teeth are interfering with the proper retraction of the piston by the sector gear. If any teeth interfere you will need to shave or remove them.

Beyond this, you will also need a very high out put battery. I recommend a really nice lithium polymer battery with high 'C' rating and capacity at 7.4v (11.1v is too much for stock trigger contacts and will require a MOSFET which I will not go into). If you do not want a lithium battery, get a large type battery that has over 3000 mAh at 8.4v (9.6v will wear down your trigger contacts faster).

Please understand that this AEG is already shooting a great velocity and performs great stock. 500fps is complete overkill and aside from a minor increase in distance, you will have to spend some serious cash and sacrifice reliability, trigger response, and RoF. My recommendation would be run it stock until it dies as having seen this gun in action, it is perfectly adequate as a DMR stock with good quality bbs and proper marksmanship.

P.S. For anybody trying to help that is not familiar with the internals of a G&G Combat Machine Gun, here is a link to a review of the internals. http://www.airsoftgiforum.com/viewtopic ... 28&t=10605
Name: Alex
Replicas: HFC USR 11 (PDI 240 setup), ICS L85A2 (sp120 setup), ICS Colt M4 (390fps), KJW 1911 Tactical, CA M14 (M120), and CYMA Mp5k (M120)

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
Quote from: "Ad3n4line"
Oh really, I had no idea i needed money. lol
And isn't sorbothane the stuff they make insoles out of for shoes?

...I've never seen a sorbo insole. It's usually used in anti-vibration mounts for heavy-ish machinery.

Oh, and if you want to take the guesswork out of a 500fps project... I've got one built up and ready to go... probably for less than you'll end up spending trying to put one together. :D

http://www.airsoftarizona.com/forumbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29388

Offline morugatu

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Nice setup man! I'd agree and say that is probably the best deal on something that saves you the headaches of trying reach such a crazy high velocity and maintaining great trigger response, accuracy, and reliablity having been there myself. Lol  :mrgreen:

P.S. Sorbothane is a pretty wide-use material. It used to be really popular with athletes shoes back in the day. Its used in just about every shock-absorbing use you could conceive!  :shock:
Replicas: HFC USR 11 (PDI 240 setup), ICS L85A2 (sp120 setup), ICS Colt M4 (390fps), KJW 1911 Tactical, CA M14 (M120), and CYMA Mp5k (M120)

Offline Adr3n4line

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
This really helped me out. Before I start buying things, i'll definitely take this info into consideration. And axisofoil, i'm not really looking to buy another airsoft gun at this point in time, but good luck with it.

Offline morugatu

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
Alright man, and also, a last resource I'd provide is www.airsoftmechanics.com The members of that community are some of the brightest individuals out there and many make a living off of manufacturing parts for high stress builds and/or creating monster setups shooting in excess of 500fps. They are very friendly, mostly unbiased, and experienced with most brands.

Offline Adr3n4line

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
Quote from: "morugatu"
Alright man, and also, a last resource I'd provide is http://www.airsoftmechanics.com The members of that community are some of the brightest individuals out there and many make a living off of manufacturing parts for high stress builds and/or creating monster setups shooting in excess of 500fps. They are very friendly, mostly unbiased, and experienced with most brands.

Thanks for the link. I'll be looking through their as well.

Offline Crono0001

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://jagxops.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:24:46 AM »
You know, that review of the G4 G&G Gearbox is quite old.  G4 gearboxes are cracked open by GI Techs to be reshimmed and re-lubed, so it's pretty nice.  I mean, I own 2, and they're reliable monsters.

Offline icorus16666

• Thieving Bastard
  • Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
actualy asgi doesn't open the gb's on their m4s. There is no tooling marks on the screws or sheet metal bar that secures the top. In addition the metal bar is a pain in the ass to take off the first time. Therefore i would doubt that they actually reshim the boxes.
bet you mofo's wish your sig could do this. haha

Offline Crono0001

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
Quote from: "icorus16666"
actualy asgi doesn't open the gb's on their m4s. There is no tooling marks on the screws or sheet metal bar that secures the top. In addition the metal bar is a pain in the ass to take off the first time. Therefore i would doubt that they actually reshim the boxes.

My G4 Noveske was definitely opened, because the screws on the outside of the GB are definitely not standard G&G (comparing it to my Combat Machine).  The lube inside was not that crap grease that was inside my other Combat Machine either, and it was shimmed near perfection.  Either G&G makes it like that stock, or mine definitely had some work done.  I'll give you that there are no scratches or tooling marks to indicate that it's been opened though.  Maybe just another level of professionalism.

Offline morugatu

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
Its normal for companies to switch screws and lubricant. Over the years I've noticed, CA, JG, CYMA, etc. have all changed the style of screws, lube, and other internal components. The G&G gearboxes are fantastic stock, if airsoft gi does open them to re-lube and re-shim, they are wasting their time and money. Either way those screws had to be stock, I can't see any reason the stock G&G screws would be replaced as they are perfectly adequate and to do so is yet another waste of money and time.

Offline Crono0001

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »
Quote from: "morugatu"
Its normal for companies to switch screws and lubricant. Over the years I've noticed, CA, JG, CYMA, etc. have all changed the style of screws, lube, and other internal components. The G&G gearboxes are fantastic stock, if airsoft gi does open them to re-lube and re-shim, they are wasting their time and money. Either way those screws had to be stock, I can't see any reason the stock G&G screws would be replaced as they are perfectly adequate and to do so is yet another waste of money and time.

*shrug* Maybe you're right.  I didn't actually see them opening it up, but it was my guess.
But back to the topic, G&G gearboxes are excellent platforms.