Author Topic: Credit card fraud  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Drmalan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sergeant First Class
  • Team: Stripling Warriors
    • View Profile
Credit card fraud
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
Last week I purchased one of the EVIKE mystery boxes. Those of u who have done so before know they sell out quickly and their website often crashes during process. I finally got my shopping cart with item but when trying to check out with PayPal the Evike server was unable to process so against my better judgement I for the first time in my life used a credit card to make purchase instead of PayPal. 3 hours later thousands of dollars of charges occurred on that credit card and I am going thru the painful process of having those charges reversed and having to get a new credit card. Again I have never used that card except this one time on EVIKE. It wasn't just my credit card number that was used. The number was made into a new card with someone else name for the charges. This was obviously a scum bag EVIKE employee who has probably done this before and will do it again. Of course no reply from EVIKE as to how this could have happened.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:02:11 PM by Drmalan »

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Credit card fraud from EVIKE
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »
I feel your pain....
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
If an Evike employee was talented enough to make a fake credit card in under 3 hours, I really wouldn't think he'd be working at Evike.  Not to mention payment processing isn't actually done by a physical person.....

Not saying you didn't get ripped off or that Evike isn't necessarily at least partially at fault.  But 3 hours would be REALLY damn quick to log into the webserver's database, decrypt the payment information, and make a new card using your number.  It's not like he just logs into the website and ta-da, there's your card number.  \Not to mention, why just you and why Evike?  If they are good enough to be able to do that in 3 hours, they wouldn't stop with just one person and they would be doing it at a place with a higher likelihood of deep pockets. 

While I'm by no means a fan of Evike, I'll admit credit card fraud isn't on the list of reasons I hate them.  I've had fraudulent charges on my card before, so I know how you feel.  However, I'm just not so sure your anger is pointed in the right direction.  I would say a keylogger on your computer is a far more likely option to consider.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:17:46 PM by XavierMace »

Offline Drmalan

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
First charge in 3 hours was online small money
Next day still small charges then on 3rd day the fake card with big money charges.
Card never ever used any other time either in person or online until that charge and that charge made was made on iPad using 3G not wifi hence no key logger possible leaving only EVIKE employee or their website security at fault.

Offline Benny1232

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »
What Xavier said is true, it is highly improbable that that happened because of evike, they aren't #1 airsoft retailer in the country for nothing, like them or not. You can always contact the sales department at evike and they should look into it if you feel that that is necessary. Obviously i can not promise the outcome, just a recommendation. But as a person who knows and experienced what key-loggers, virus's etc. do - your computer being infected seems a lot more probably then theft by the evike personal. I bet my baby (g36c) on that.
Get your computer thoroughly checked through before you make another payment using a card.

Hope everything turns out okay bud
People ask me how to find me, i respond by telling them to look for the guy with the bugle.
Callsign: Bugler
Main: JG MK36C
Secondary: USP H&K

Offline bailey5671

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRedviper12?feature=mhum
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »
Ordered from them many times, no problems what so ever, things happen on any website. Best of luck to you though, this kinda thing always sucks.
The Only Thing You Should Feel When Shooting Someone is Recoil...

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
Once again, I don't want to sound like I'm trying to minimize what you are going through....

However, you have to understand how eCommerce works.  I work for a company that does IT support exclusively for banks, including security work.  I've also worked on the web hosting side on the past.  I'm not just pulling info out of my ass here.  Evike does not process your payment, that's done through a payment gateway (typically authorize.net) nor does their shopping cart system display your credit card info for Joe Blow to see.  While not impossible to crack by any means, someone talented enough to do that would not be working at Evike.  It's not like skimming a card you physically have access to.

Neither the iPad itself or 3G is magically secure.  If you look through some security websites, you'll see the the amount of people they pissed off when they started using iPad's + card readers to take orders from people in line.  Invisible keyloggers for iOS are quite easy to come by and 3G is by no means a 100% secure system.  Using a wireless connection of any sort to relay credit card information isn't the best practice.  Once again, believe me, I've got no love for Evike.  However this is the far more likely culprit.

When an eCommerce database gets hacked, they don't just take one credit card.  If the gateway (authorize.net) got hacked, there would be a real shit storm.  The fact that I haven't seen a mass list of people complaining, that points to you being the only person affected.  A security breach only effecting one person generally points to an issue on the users side.  I'd also wonder about the card company itself at this point.  If this was an existing card that had never been used, they should have spotted this unusual activity and called you on it.

The reason I'm trying to argue/explain this is that as much as this situation sucks, it would suck more if it happened again with a new card because the same thing happened.

Offline nukeduster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
Just because its an Apple product doesnt mean you cant have  a key-logger on it. Or a worm. Or a virus. Or other malware.

People think their little BSD based OS is immune to being rooted. People are wrong. Back in my blackhat days we used to have root competitions who could hack the most servers in a given length of time.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/widespread-computer-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-safe/

Offline Drmalan

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
Ordered from them many times, no problems what so ever, things happen on any website. Best of luck to you though, this kinda thing always sucks.

Again purchase was made on an iPad on 3G not possible to key log. It's EVIKE

Offline Fresnel

• Sergeant Major
  • Accuracy by Volume
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
Also worth mentioning: the number one way to steal credit card information during an online purchase is to watch over someone's shoulder as they type it in. Now I don't know where you were when you made the purchase or who was around you, but it's a possibility to consider.

Offline Acid_burn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »
dang that really sucks, the further and further down i go i wish i didnt just make a large purchase from them right before reading this:/ hope all goes well for you

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »

LOL.  Since when?

Offline hdrox88

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • First Sergeant
  • The Wrecking Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »

LOL.  Since when?

You can't key log an iPad, it doesn't have a mechanical key board...DUH ::)

Crappy situation, but now I'm wondering if this is just a stab at Evike for an unrelated incident.

Hopefully my sarcasm is obvious enough that nobody gets bent out of shape.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:58:10 PM by hdrox88 »
Don't ever heezjack a Heezjacker!
€√εΓ¥ßσÐý Ð↕Σ§, ßµτ ⁿΩ┬ €√εΓ¥ßσÐý ╚│√ε$

Fighter Town Paintball & Airsoft

Offline PhoenixShadowCompany

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://phxshadow.net
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
I'm sure mace will agree. the only safe network is a non existent network. it doesn't matter if you have an ipad and android a computer laptop netbook because it is on a network it can be hacked. think of it this way if they do u s military can get hacked why would a civilian be allowed to have something that couldn't?

Offline Dayton

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »

LOL.  Since when?

Didn't you get the memo?
Fox Company | Tournament Locks
Main: JP Polarstar, Magpul PTS ACR, ARES Tavor TAR-21
Side Arm: KWA HK45, KWA Umarex H&K MP7
Other: AT-4, Defusable Bomb, Mortar