Author Topic: Classic Army SA58 Review  (Read 2366 times)

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
Classic Army SA58 Review
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:16:47 PM »
(Warning several of the pictures below do suck.  I will try to take some better ones when I have some natural light to use)

History

The FN FAL (Fusil Automatique Leger - Light Automatic Rifle) is one of the most famous and widespread military rifle designs of the previous century. Developed by Fabrique Nationale (Belgium), it was used by some 70 or even more countries, and was manufactured in at least 10 countries. At the present time the service days of the most FAL rifles are gone, but it is still used in some parts of the world.  The first FN FAL was produced in 1953 and the first version was adopted in 1955 by Canada.  Belgium, Britain, and Austria followed over the next couple of years.  FN refused to license the gun to Germany who in turn looked at the Spanish CETME rifle from which the famous H&K G3 was created.  The G3 was the main competitor to the FN FAL.

The FN FAL was made in numerous different versions with different barrels and accessories.  There are, however, four basic configurations of FAL rifle: FAL 50.00, or simply FAL, with fixed buttstock and standard barrel; FAL 50.63 or FAL "Para", with folding skeleton butt and short barrel; FAL 50.64 with folding skeleton butt of "Para" model and standard length barrel; and the FAL 50.41, also known as FAL Hbar or FALO - a heavy barreled model which was intended primary as a light support weapon.

There are only two countries still producing the FAL today.  Brazil and, the subject of this review, the DS Arms SA-58.  The rifle in question is a (very) short barreled standard model SA-58 with the molded hand guards.

The replica
The first thing you notice when looking at the box is the relatively dull (color wise) front.  The box is light gray, with a white outline of the gun and black & white lettering with the exception of the full color DSA logo.  Upon opening the box you are greeted with pretty standard packaging.  Styrofoam, manual, catalog, gun, hicap.  No battery or other accessories are included.

If you are not familiar with the SA58/FAL, the first thing you notice when looking at the gun is it's size.  You might think it was a large gun from the pictures you see, but it is not.  With the carbine front and and slim stock this is a pretty maneuverable gun.  The gun is very comfortable to hold with it's SAW grip and hand guards.    It's certainly a relief from the M16 grip many are used to.

The selector is metal and easy to operate with your thumb while holding the gun.  The selector clicks firmly into place with little or no wobble (unlike some HK style selectors).

As you can see, it has a serial number (I would assume non-unique giving the fact this is #12) stamped right above the selector.  Further up, we have the markings SA58 MADE IN USA.

The charging handle is large and feels pretty sturdy, but is still a concern as I will discuss later.

The opposite side of the gun features a pair of full DSA trades stating DSAinc LK BARRINGTON, IL.  Once on the reciever, and a second set on the included scope mount.

Pulling back the charging handle locks the bolt cover back, allowing you to adjust the hopup.  This appear to be pretty standard stuff.

The front of the gun features a standard, removable, birdcage flash hider and a 360 degree rotating sling mount.  I have replaced my birdcage with a Madbull Noveske Fire Pig which looks quite fitting if you ask me.

The stock is a proprietary stock with no externally visible means of attachment.  The battery compartment is accessed by sliding down the rubber butt and pulling it off.  A large 8.4v is a tight squeeze, no chance of a large 9.6v without modifications.

The gun includes a 20a fuse.  That will need to be upgraded...

The bottom of the SAW grip features a large hex screw and the words "Classic Army".

Performance
The gun has not personally been chrono'd yet (I hope to do this later this week).  However the ASGI testers state it chrono'd at 290fps. This concerns me slightly as I would expect higher.  I hooked up a 8.4v 2600mah Ni-Cd battery and dry fired it a few times.  The gun sounds to be very well shimmed and cycled quite smoothly.  The gun is also quieter than I expected.  We will see what this means when I get the chance to field it.

The mags feel quite sturdy and look well finished.  They slide smoothly into the magwell and lock firmly into place.  The mag release will take a little getting used to as it is a little abnormal as far as mag releases go.  Next to the mag release is the bolt release.  The bolt lock is VERY handy for adjusting the hopup and when release closes with a nice smack.  It's not the same as a real steel, but still much more pleasing then your standard AEG bolt cover.

Overall
The fit & finish of the gun is excellent.  Everything feels completely solid with no wobbles or creaks.  The gun sounds like this trend continues on with the internals.

However, I have a couple of concerns.  First off, as stated above, ASGI states the gun chrono'd at 290fps which sounds low to me.  It's listed at 300-310fps by ASGI on the site.  However, this is a VERY short barreled rifle so then again 290fps isn't that bad.  My biggest concern however is the charging handle.

As I stated, the charging handle feels solid and sturdy.  However, it IS plastic and the spring on the bolt cover is QUITE strong.  The manual specifically states to return the charging handle to the front position before releasing the bolt.  This tells me they know it's a weak point.  If this breaks, it will make it very hard to adjust your hopup.

My only major complaint right now is the mags.  You have a choice of a highcap or 6 highcaps.  Standards, or at least Midcaps would REALLY be appreciated.  The only external accessory available for it right now is a RIS which is available from an EXTREMELY limited selection of retailers.

Initial Verdict
With the exception of a couple of minor concerns, the gun appears to have an above average build quality and finish both externally and internally.  That combined with the fact that this is one of the most uncommon guns in airsoft is making me really look forward to a good skirmish with it.  However, at this time, the mag selections and the price of the gun combined with a lack of accessories means this will probably stay an uncommon gun for quite some time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »