Author Topic: Problems with my brand new ICS M4  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Mr. Joseph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Problems with my brand new ICS M4
« on: December 19, 2004, 05:28:42 PM »
As some of you know, my brand new ICS M4 is giving me real problems.  I installed an M120 as soon as I got it, it was cake, only took 5 minutes which is why I bought the ICS.  I test fired it in my backyard and it worked fine.  I got to the game the next day, and it was seized up.  It seized up quite a bit all day long.  I was able to get it working again each time, but it would never work when someone was in my sights which sucks @55.  I put the stock spring back in it when I got home, and it still does the same thing.  Ive tried all conventional fixes (things that are easily checked) but it is still giving me the same problem.

Ive talked to a few other people, one being Shifty who upgraded the hell out of his and is using an 8.4v.  He has no problems and never has.  Screwloose said he has the same problem from time to time but his is easily fixed by hitting the forward assist.  This works with mine some times, but it must be done every other shot.  Screwloose's friend also has an ICS M4 and has had no problems.

Im looking for any help to get my gun running right.  Im even willing to pay someone to fix it if they can fix it so it works perfectly and will keep working perfectly (I guess I could take it to JT).  So if you know anything about the ICS m4 and why this is happening, PLEASE HELP.

Joey
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mr. Joseph »

-Wraith-

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 06:31:46 PM »
Well, you can't return it, due to upgrading. What do you mean by "seized up"?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -Wraith- »

Offline Mr. Joseph

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 07:41:25 PM »
Im not totally sure exactly where all the internals are at when it happens, but I do know that the motor does "try" and turn.  It can be heard "clicking" when the trigger is pulled.  Its as if the motot cant pull the spring back all the way.  That cant be the case though since I put the stock spring back in.  It was able to fucntion with the M120 in it.  I wish I could tell you more, but I am stumped.

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 08:23:52 PM »
You didn't put it back together correctly?  Crappy battery?  Any back roll  (anti-reversal latch take a pooh)?

Lead
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leadmagnet »

Offline Mr. Joseph

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:28:14 PM »
I put it back together correctly.  The battery is 9.6v, I know its not that.  I was wondering if it was the anti reversal latch.  It is working properly, but the ICS has a feature where the reversal latch can be released by pressing the forward assist.  That could be the problem but Im not sure.  Im leaning toward no.  I was hoping someone has had this problem and fixed it, but I guess not.

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 08:34:38 PM »
Quote from: "Mr. Joseph"
I put it back together correctly.  The battery is 9.6v, I know its not that.  I was wondering if it was the anti reversal latch.  It is working properly, but the ICS has a feature where the reversal latch can be released by pressing the forward assist.  That could be the problem but Im not sure.  Im leaning toward no.  I was hoping someone has had this problem and fixed it, but I guess not.

You can get a bad 9.6v battery or even easily screw up a good one by following bad battery charging procedures.  Really, try another batter.  If it is your anti-reversal you'll get sort of a back rolling effect immediately after you stop squeezing your trigger.

(I'm not trying to pump pooh your way, I actually own an ICS M-4).

Lead
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leadmagnet »

Offline Mr. Joseph

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 08:57:20 PM »
FOUND THE PROBLEM.

Its the "sear".  I put the selector plat to semi auto, and when the gear gets around and releases the piston, the "trigger switch" is supposed to spring back and break the circuit, but something is jamming at that point.  Im going to open the lower gear box now.  Ill let you guys kno how it goes.

Offline Long Trang

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 10:25:56 AM »
Hey Joey i talked to dusty saturday night and he said check the timing on your gears if they are off that will create the same problem that you are  having.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Long Trang »

Offline Mr. Joseph

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »
I think I fixed it.  The "airsoft sear" that kicks the switch off in semi auto after one rotation was sticking, or I think it was.  Its working ok now, so far.

I dont understand how the timing can be off.  There are three gears.  The first two simply push the third, and cannot be "timed" to the third.  Somebody else correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think an airsoft gun has a timing.  If I am wrong, an explaination would help.

Anyway, I think its working now.  I still have a little work to do, but hopefully Ill be good to go at the next game.

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 03:01:42 PM »
the timing has to do with placement of gears. there is a little nub on one that needs to sit at the one o'clock position. the larger one doesnt really have one. and the very bottom gear has notches in it where the antireveral latch sits, the ARL needs to sit in the notch. sorry for my really crappy way of explaining it, and i'm also using standard gearbox stuff, so it won't be the same as an ICS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Long Trang

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 03:30:28 PM »
Give dusty a call tomorrow and ask him about it.  I cant remember exactly how he put it but there is some timing on the gears.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Long Trang »

Offline PHX COBRA

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 03:34:49 PM »
Yes there is a timing, it has to be set right so that when the gears turn they will grab the piston at the correct time and pull it back.  That little nub that sticks off the top of the sector gear should be almost touching the tappet plate when the gearbox is closed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PHX COBRA »