Author Topic: I have a question...  (Read 1174 times)

Offline SilentDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
I have a question...
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »
I was thinking about buying a handgun.  However, i am not legally old enough to buy one... unless it is by a private seller.  My friend said he'd sell me one.  How would the paperwork work out?  How can it be legally be put in my name, and off of his...
Help?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SilentDragon »

Saguaro Team Leader
LCVI, LCVII, LCX, LCXI, Balkan Hammer I/II, Red Dagger II, Cold Burn II. AA Vet

Offline SilentDragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
AZ Carry Laws
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »
POSSESSION

No state permit is required to possess a shotgun, rifle or handgun.

It is unlawful for a "prohibited possessor" to possess a firearm.*

A prohibited possessor includes (1) a person found to constitute a danger to himself or others pursuant to a court order and whose court ordered treatment has not been terminated; (2) a person who has been convicted of a felony involving violence or possession and use of a firearm or dangerous instrument and whose civil rights have not been restored; (3) a person who is at the time of possession serving a term of imprisonment in any correctional or detention facility; or (4) a person who is at the time of possession serving a term of parole, work furlough, home arrest or release on any other basis or who is serving a term of probation or parole.

No person, other than a peace officer or a member of the military forces of the United States, shall knowingly possess a firearm on which the manufacturer's serial number has been removed, altered or destroyed. This does not apply to (1) possession by a museum as a part of Its collection or an educational institution for educational purposes or by an authorized employee of such museum or institution or (2) acquisition by gift, devise or descent or in a fiduciary capacity as a recipient of the property of an insolvent, incapacitated or deceased person

An unemancipated person under 18 not accompanied by a parent, grandparent, guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with consent of the minorÕs parent, grandparent or guardian shall not carry or possess on his person, within his immediate control, or in or on a means of transportation a firearm in any place open to the public or on any street, highway, or on private property, except private property owned or leased by the minor or the minor's parent, grandparent, or guardian. This prohibition does not apply to a person between 14 and 17 engaged in lawful hunting, marksmanship practice, transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of hunting or, between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM, transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of marksmanship at a range or other area where the discharge of firearms is not prohibited. This law applies in counties with a population exceeding 500,000. However, counties with a lesser population, or cities and towns within such counties, may adopt an ordinance identical to this law.

* A firearm is defined as any loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or other weapon which will or is designed to or may readily convert to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, except that it does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition.

PURCHASE

It is unlawful to sell or give to a minor, without written consent of the minor's parent or legal guardian, a firearm or ammunition.

No state permit is required to purchase a shotgun, rifle, or handgun.

It is unlawful to sell or transfer a firearm to a "prohibited possessor" (See definition under Possession.)

CARRYING

No person shall carry a firearm "concealed on his person." This does not apply to a person in his dwelling, business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person. A handgun carried in a belt holster which is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage is not considered carrying concealed.

It is unlawful to carry a firearm* concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation.

This does not apply to firearms carried in a case, holster or scabbard in a means of transportation or a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

Exempt from these prohibitions are 1) peace officers or any person summoned by a peace officer to assist and while actually assisting in the performance of official duties; 2) on duty military forces of the United States; 3) a person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to an Arizona or United States statute.

No person shall, unless specifically authorized by law, enter a public establishment or attend a public event carrying a firearm after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event to remove his firearm and place it in the custody of the operator or sponsor. This does not apply to shooting ranges or shooting events, hunting areas or similar locations or activities.

It is unlawful, unless specifically authorized by law, to enter an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a firearm.

It is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on grade or high school grounds. This shall not apply to an unloaded firearm within a means of transportation under the control of an adult, provided, if the adult leaves the vehicle, it shall be locked and the unloaded firearm shall not be visible, or for a program approved by the school.

The Department of Public Safety "shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon" to a resident at least 21 years old, who satisfactorily completes an approved firearms safety program, submits fingerprints and a fee determined by the Department of Public Safety, and who does not fall into a class of person prohibited to possess a firearm, such as a convicted felon, adjudicated mental incompetent, or illegal alien. The qualification checks shall be completed within 60 days of receipt of the application, and the permit will be issued within 15 working days after completing the checks. The permit is valid for not more than 4 years and is renewable every 4 years.

I'm sure this is what i need to know...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:45:27 AM by SilentDragon »

Saguaro Team Leader

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:41:04 AM »
Would he be buying it from a licensed dealer, then selling to you? If so, that would be illegal.

I carry my bill of sale in my wallet, showing that I purchased the firearm through a legal means. When you're 21 you can put it in your name.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline SilentDragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:48:33 AM »
So... how could I legally buy a handgun?  Even though i'm not 21.

Saguaro Team Leader

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:51:15 AM »
A private sale, just like stated before. He would essentially be buying a handgun for you(known as a Straw Buy). If he bought it, and down the line decided to sell it, then it would be okay. Its kinda like buying alchohol for a minor. Except that someone doesn't decide down the line to resell at a lower cost than which they paid....unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 01:25:31 AM »
Condensed :

Buy it from a person, not a business.

That bill of sale stuff is unnecessary. I was given my handgun by my father (gifted -- legal).

You still won't be able to buy ammunition though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline SilentDragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »
I am aware of that, Vince.  I just wanna know how to legally purchase/own a handgun under the age of 21.

Saguaro Team Leader

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 12:46:08 PM »
Legal advice is better from a lawyer....  try the yellow pages... IMHO
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Doc Hollywood »

Offline PHX COBRA

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »
It is simple, buy handgun through private sale at 18, do a bill of sale if you feel more comfortable, though it is not nessicary.
At 21, you can buy it from an FFL.
No need to register any guns ever in AZ, so when you turn 21 and you have a handgun you purchased before you were 21, nothing changes, no registration needed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PHX COBRA »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:12:43 PM »
Quote from: "Doc Hollywood"
Legal advice is better from a lawyer....  try the yellow pages... IMHO

OK, let me go ask my father.

OK, yeah, he said the same thing I did. This is coming from a criminal lawyer, as well.

Art - just find something you like on www.arizonashooting.com or something, and PM the guy -- that's how Ben got his Glock and Nate got his USP. If you go on www.AR15.com and go to the Hometown tab then click Arizona then click the post at the top by TREETOP (link to Arizona Hometown Equipment Exchange) you can also find some good stuff.

There are caveats though, such as concealment, et cetera. You should get a copy of Alan Corwin's book The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu