Author Topic: First handgun/rifle  (Read 2670 times)

Offline HelsinkiVampire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 09:53:11 PM »
I would suggest a 357 mag revolver (what every member of my extended family has for home defense) the cool thing with a 357 is that if the 357 round is to powerful for the members of your family you can use 38 specials but you still have the option of the more powerful round.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by HelsinkiVampire »
If jesus came back today
and wanted to save the world he would be killed by the CIA
for fear of taking over

-|-Anno-|-Domini-|-

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
Quote from: "Vince"
In a home defense gun, why would you want to complicate the procedure of protecting you or your loved ones? A home defense guns sits at the ready, not being played with, not being fooled around with -- ready to address any threat. A revolver is PERFECT because you point and pull the trigger. No need to chamber a round, no safeties, no magazine locks, nothing keeping you from your desired end result.

Imagine someone breaks in to your home...do you want to gamble your life, the life of your family, on remembering to unsafe your weapon? Would be a shame if you got your face blown off. I keep my home defense weapon in condition zero at all times. Why? It never gets touched. When I go to it, I know it will be ready. If someone gets into my house, I probably have ten seconds before SHTF. I'll need every one of those to collect myself and get my gameplan ready.

Do you remember when you wake up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night? Do you trust yourself to remember to disable the safety?

The reason to get a home defense gun without a safety is BECAUSE you have no experience. I agree that there is no substitute for training, however.

The most qualified gun users in the world keep their fingers out of the trigger guard until they are ready to shoot.

Skill and determination, reinforced by regular practice, will carry the day.

I appreciate the level-headedness and patience with which you replied to my post with, but I can see that we are going to have to agree to disagree.
Going back and forth about this won't change my opinion, and I can assume it won't change yours either.

So, I'll bow out now and let this get back to the original posters question.

Thanks,
[AD]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -|-Anno-|-Domini-|- »

Offline supporter

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.goarmy.com
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
Well, me and my mom have desided to get the Mosin Nagant. Does that sound like a good idea, or is that just a waste of money?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by supporter »

Offline azmjs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:54 PM »
Quote from: "supporter"
Well, me and my mom have desided to get the Mosin Nagant. Does that sound like a good idea, or is that just a waste of money?

Not unless you want to kill your neighbors trying to shoot a burgler and go deaf.

It's a fun gun for blowing things to bits out in the desert, making fireballs, and punishing your shoulder-- but not a good choice for a first gun. As already explained above, get a 22 if you want to go plinking and a shotgun or pistol for defending your house.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azmjs »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 05:48:44 AM »
Everybody has to start somewhere.  Its only a waste if you don't use it or regret buying it, only you will know that.

Best of luck with the purchase!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline supporter

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.goarmy.com
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »
We dont want a home defence weapon. I use my airsoft GBB pistol for that (no it doesnt kill, but when you hear a "clank" from the slide in the dark, i dont think youll be able to tell the difference). Its just to go target shooting. a 22 is too small for anything really. Thanks for all your help guys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by supporter »