Author Topic: walther P22?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
walther P22?
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »
Looking at getting one of these, my dad has a P99 and I love it, I think it feels Amazing and is and all around great pistol. Now the reason I was lookng at the P22 was well, one it's a walther and  guessing has a simiar feel to the P99 and I would really only be using it for target type shooting, and seeing as the .22 is a very affordable round it seems to fit my needs. Not to mention the pistol is very affordable
Can anyone give some imput on this, or any other .22 pistol youve used and can say something good about?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: walther P22?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
I have only shot the P22 on a few occasions and that has been the only 22 pistol that I have ever shot, so I have nothing similar to compare it too.  But my overall impressions from the few times shooting the P22 is due to it being so small it felt fairly comfortable. It can be accurate enough to hit a soda can at an estimated 150ft with a bit of practice if needed, otherwise you may find a TV box to be a better target.  It's cheap to purchase and operate, .22 ammo is dirt cheap, which makes shooting the gun loads of fun because you can shoot it a lot for very little cost. Form my limited exposure to this gun I had never had a feeding issue and it seemed to be reliable. It is small and easy to transport. Down side is it is a 22 but if plinking around is your game then I would say you would enjoy it.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Uchiha Itachi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
I have one, its all I'll ever need.

What exactly do you want to know?

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »
^your general opinion about it, your responce was a bit cicular, you cant say its good on the basis of "its good" what do you use it for? does it feel good, ect, ect.

Offline Hawk

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 01:04:47 AM »
I've got one, and I've had it for about three years or so. It's a good little plinker gun, but I have had a few problems with it. You have to make sure that you don't buy some of the lower powered .22 ammo, otherwise it won't cycle properly. I've also had problems with the hammer spring, it's broken twice, and I've had to buy a replacement twice. I've only found one place in the US that carries the hammer spring for it, and it's $15. I also took out the mag disconnect safety and some other safety that needs a key to turn, but I haven't had any malfunctions due to that. Overall, though, it's a good gun, not as good as some other pistols I own, but it's fun and cheap to shoot.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 05:44:49 AM »
If you like the looks of it, get it.

Otherwise, you'd be better served with a Ruger Mk2/3.

The P22 is kinda finicky about ammo, in addition to the other things esteemed poster Hawk has said above.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Seedy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deserthawks.org
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »
If I were you I'd get a Sig Sauer Mosquito.
Those are great little guns.

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 01:49:42 AM »
Quote from: "Seedy"

I've heard its crap, from a few trusted sources.

From my understanding, I got lucky with my P22. I've heard alot of them have issues with FTFs/FTEs. I haven't had any issues with mine so far, maybe 1 or 2 malfunctions. I've shot several different brands of ammo through it, though I do not remember most of them.

Overall, its a fun gun, but I would have to agree with Vince with the Mk2/3 suggestion.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:39:36 AM »

how can you not want that

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »

How can you say no to that? I love the way the walther looks, I'd buy a P99, but dont want to spend $800

Offline Uchiha Itachi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
Quote from: "Firehead"
Quote from: "Seedy"

I've heard its crap, from a few trusted sources.

From my understanding, I got lucky with my P22. I've heard alot of them have issues with FTFs/FTEs. I haven't had any issues with mine so far, maybe 1 or 2 malfunctions. I've shot several different brands of ammo through it, though I do not remember most of them.

Overall, its a fun gun, but I would have to agree with Vince with the Mk2/3 suggestion.

Might as well finish my post.

I'm assuming that FTF/FTE means failure to fire and eject?

The answer is yes. The spring and slide and too heavy for normal LR ammo. The round may go off but the round will not have enough power to push the slide back and kick the shell out. The round and jam and start to cause excessive damage and wear to the gun. That is why whenever I talk to a dealer or other ownerd the recommended ammo is CCI high velocity and Remington Yellow Jackets. Even though the Remmys are cheap, the HOLLOW points create enough back pressure for the gun to cycle. I personally use the HPs and have only had 1 malfunction with the round failing to enter the chamber after a mag change. I'm unsure why it failed to enter but I've heard when you fully load a magazine they tend to jam on the first round.

Just like most things in this world once you screw with it or not use the recommended accessories it breaks.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 01:03:52 PM »
Quote from: "Fat_Santa54"

How can you say no to that? I love the way the walther looks, I'd buy a P99, but dont want to spend $800

because I've shot one :d

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:47:07 PM »
Quote from: "Vince"

how can you not want that

Is that the ruger your were going to shoot birds with?

Give me your impressions on your ruger, what you like about it, the feel, ect ec..... please

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
Points naturally, eats anything you feed it and has a fantastic trigger.

I have a Tactical Solutions Paclite upper on mine and I rebuilt the trigger with Volquartsen components. Breaks at three pounds now with no overtravel/pretravel.

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:32 PM »
But out of the box whats the triger like? I think the P22 is 12lbs triger pull.