Author Topic: Nissan Vs. Jeep?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline HavHav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Nissan Vs. Jeep?
« on: March 29, 2005, 06:55:28 AM »
I know some of you guys on here like to take your trucks offroading. I figure it will give me something to do for the next year until I'm 18.

Anyways, heres my dilema. I have about $7000 to put towards a truck. I wanted something that could go through some of the areas we play at, and something that could be taken offroad for some weekend fun.

I origionally wanted a Jeep Cherokee, but something about a Nissan Pathfinder got me. My dad likes them, but I found some Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, and am hoping to get one of those.

This is the problem, my dad things they are unreliable. I've riden in Gregs, and liked it. Ive heard these are actually more reliable than the pathfinders, and they are within my price range.

Does anyone have any information on either? I've been looking into it, and cant get a straight answer on which one is more reliable. I know the Jeep will have alot more power, which is another main factor.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by HavHav »

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 07:25:02 AM »
I have had a Nissan almost all my life and though they have their moments they are pertty good and get great gas mileage. Based on what I have herd from consumer reports Jeeps are a bit prone to problems and are less reliable, but I have never owned one so i can only coment on nissans with experience. I am willing to bet that parts for a nissan are cheaper and easyer to find than parts for a jeep, and though it may not seem that important now when you get in an accident and have to rebuild your front end those high priced little bits realy add up. I have had a good go with nissan but am looking into a toyota, I know some die hard jeep fan is going to blast my comments, so let me repeat i have not owned a jeep and am basing my comments completly on consumer reports and word of mouth so I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Trashcan

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 07:30:43 AM »
My dad has 120,000+ miles on his Jeep grand cherokee laredo, and has already put about 2000 in repairs into it. Our toyota, on the other hand, has 90,000 miles and we just replaced the original battery.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Trashcan »

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »
Yeah, I would also look at toyota 4runners, as long as its not the v6. The 22re is the best by far.

the 4.0 isnt to bad in the jeep.  Never owned a Nissan,

It all depend on what you want to do with it. If you want to lift it. I would price lift kits first or buy one lifted with tires already
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline Ultor

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »
Nissa can be good, but I'm partial to Toyota and would agree with Gixser. The old 4 Runners and The 22re engines have earned alot of respect in the off road world.  I wouldn't get a old Nissan, for some reason you hardly see a lifted 4x4 around from that company.  But I do respect the Pathfinders.  Look around and you could get a Tacoma for the price range your looking at or even a Toyota pick up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ultor »
The Black Sheep of AA

Offline Victor3

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 09:24:27 AM »
No offense to anyone here that owns either, but stay away from both....get a Toyota. If you want more info, or the name of a great salesperson PM me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Victor3 »
"Victor3"
Airsoft AZ
Eat Hot Lead...uh...I mean Plastic!!

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Nissan Vs. Jeep?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:43:33 AM »
Quote from: "HavHav"
I know some of you guys on here like to take your trucks offroading. I figure it will give me something to do for the next year until I'm 18.

Anyways, heres my dilema. I have about $7000 to put towards a truck. I wanted something that could go through some of the areas we play at, and something that could be taken offroad for some weekend fun.

I origionally wanted a Jeep Cherokee, but something about a Nissan Pathfinder got me. My dad likes them, but I found some Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, and am hoping to get one of those.

This is the problem, my dad things they are unreliable. I've riden in Gregs, and liked it. Ive heard these are actually more reliable than the pathfinders, and they are within my price range.

Does anyone have any information on either? I've been looking into it, and cant get a straight answer on which one is more reliable. I know the Jeep will have alot more power, which is another main factor.

Thanks guys!

For around 5k you can get a nice Ford Explorer too.  Mine would climb and go through anything.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Harley »
\"Just because you\'re paranoid, doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you!\"

\"Have Gun - Will Travel\"

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 11:13:40 AM »
One thing you must take into consideration is the cost of maintenance.

I have a 1993 Cherokee (as you already know, Matt), and since it's older I can still work on it myself.  Parts are dirt cheap, and easy to find.

While I do not have a Nissan, my gf has an Isuzu Rodeo, and while it's very nice, it is very expensive to fix.  Parts are more expensive, and more work muct be done by the shop since everything under the hood is more complicated.  

My parents drive a couple of Expeditions.  Very, very nice - but you don't even want to know what it costs for maintenance onthose bad boys!  

For you at this point, my advice is to stay away from newer, "nicer" SUVs like 4 runners, Land Cruisers, Pathfinders, Explorers, and all the others listed above.

Get an old Jeep, well taken care of, that already has 4WD and some col sh*t on it.  You can't go wrong!

Then again, there's that 4WD Tacoma crew cab with the pintle mount that just calls to me...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 11:43:30 AM »
Good point Christian.  Yeah if you don't have the funds to keep it running, or can't do the work yourself it doesn't matter much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Harley »
\"Just because you\'re paranoid, doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you!\"

\"Have Gun - Will Travel\"

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 11:43:48 AM »
I have a  '98 Pathfinder.  I haven't had any huge issues with it.  I did have the water pump and rear suspension replaced at 90,000 something miles but that was under warranty.  Ultor is right though, there is no cool off-road stuff available for it which sucks but it keeps me from spending money I don't have.  Mine is more a glorified station wagon really because it doesn't have 4WD.

Don't listen to Victor3!  He has other motives!   ;)

Maybe Christian, Greg and I should have a SUV competition!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline thatoneguy92088

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 11:47:29 AM »
I have a friend that just got a 97 Jeep grand cherokee Laredo with 120,000 miles on it and there was something wrong with his jeep that caused it to shake when he went above 45. HE fixed it and now it is really good offroad and he got it for $7K and a little more for the repairs. Whoever said that parts are everywhere is right and they are easy to fix. I have a new Grand Cherokee Lredo in v8. I would never get the 4.0 I6 in  GC it is very sluggish. My v8 has enough power that if u were ever to take it off road you would not be dissapointed. TO summarize

Jeeps best off road, coolest, best looking (i think) get to do the "jeep wave" when u see other jeeps
Toyota Reliable 4runner is decent offroad but not as good as jeep
Nissan pathfinder is very good offroad but still not as good as a jeep

You dont drive offroad as much as you do onroad and so even though i drive a GC i would recommend a 4runner.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by thatoneguy92088 »

Offline stoneaglewolf

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tacticalmilsim.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 12:06:45 PM »
I have a 87' Jeep, 86' Jeep,  had a Nissan, had a toyota, and had a Rodeo.

Rodeo -  not even worth talking about, like Christan said too epensive to work on.

Nissan or Toyota -  very reliable, expensive to work on fewer aftermarket parts and the parts are expensive, and a pain to work on.

Jeep - ah Jeep... awesome reputation, known for using parts from every American manufacturer.  If you want a project vehicle then get an 80's or 90's jeep for 2500.00 then dump the rest in it and you will have an amazing vehicle that you built. They are easier to work on than the others mentioned.

It just depends on whether you just want to jump into a vehicle and go (Nissan or Toyota) or if you want to build a custom SUV that reflects your personality. (jeep)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by stoneaglewolf »
-Stone

http://www.TacticalMilSim.com
  Honor the Fallen SPC Marc A. Anderson 1/75th Ranger KIA 3/8/02, AF

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 12:21:13 PM »
I will sell you my K5 for 8500.00 Its a 72 chevy blazer full removable top, 6 inch lift (springs all the way around NO BLOCKS) with new Pro comp X terain tires & eagle 403 rims, Hot 327 out of a 71 vette with projection FI system, duel Flowmasters, gear drive, and 4.11s
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline Reaver

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://teamfe0.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 12:25:58 PM »
"The Jeep is the only true American sports car."
  - Enzo Ferrari

:D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Reaver »

Offline Surplus man

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 12:39:44 PM »
buy a jeep, buy american.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Surplus man »
I saw this plug was in my wall here and then i noticed that your house was glowin like THE FRICKIN SUN! So, i uh put 2 and 2 together here and decided that your pissin me off...

-carl