Author Topic: Help w/ mAH?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline azseal16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Help w/ mAH?
« on: April 25, 2005, 10:08:02 PM »
mAH stands for milliamp-Hours. So it is a rating for capacity right???  This means as long as I have the correct voltage for my gun...I should be able to use a high mAH rating right?  Wouldnt a higher mAH battery live longer?  It wont hurt my gun will it?   please help....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azseal16 »

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 10:28:46 PM »
Here is how it works:
Your voltage is how much power (like raw horsepower) your battery is able to deliver, an increase in voltage will give you more juice that can translate into either more power to rack a higher power spring back or a greater rate of fire. The mAh is milliamp hours or how many milliamps your battery can give in one hour, though it is not a perfect analogy think of it as your gas tank. The more milliamp hours the longer your battery can sustain a higher output and the longer it will last. Somtimes a higher milliamp rating can translate into other things but this is a very generalized way of thinking about it. Check out some online explanations for these things at:

http://www.sentex.net/~mec1995/hobby/techbat.htm

http://www.batteryweb.com/faqbw.cfm#q21

good luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »
Quote from: "Ganef"
Here is how it works:
Your voltage is how much power (like raw horsepower) your battery is able to deliver, an increase in voltage will give you more juice that can translate into either more power to rack a higher power spring back or a greater rate of fire. The mAh is milliamp hours or how many milliamps your battery can give in one hour, though it is not a perfect analogy think of it as your gas tank. The more milliamp hours the longer your battery can sustain a higher output and the longer it will last. Somtimes a higher milliamp rating can translate into other things but this is a very generalized way of thinking about it. Check out some online explanations for these things at:

good luck!

What he said!

Keep in mind that, while you CAN overload on voltage, go as high as possible with the mAh.  For standard ratio gears, I'd stay below 10.8 volts.

One more thing. . . Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) packs typically have a higher mAh rating when compared to a Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) of the same size.  Translation = NiMHs cram more juice into a smaller cell.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 06:28:34 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
Quote from: "Ganef"
Here is how it works:

good luck!

What he said!

Keep in mind that, while you CAN overload on voltage, go as high as possible with the mAh.  For standard ratio gears, I'd stay below 10.8 volts.

One more thing. . . Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) packs typically have a higher mAh rating when compared to a Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) of the same size.  Translation = NiMHs cram more juice into a smaller cell.
and NiMH's tend to be 1/2 the weight if they are the good cells. Now I just wish someone would use LIPoly Cells for airsoft guns...

www.kokamusa.com :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline azseal16

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 09:39:21 PM »
thanks for the help...i was just curious because op: dark harvast is coming up and it is 3 night camp event so there will be no outlets to charge.....I only have 2 8.4 600mAH batteries for my stock M4... so I just thought it'd be a good idea to get 1 or 2   8.4 v   2400-3000 mAH batteries that should last a couple games on 1 charge (Even though it will take a long time to charge). Does this sound like a wise decision?

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:22:48 PM »
yes, though it depends on how much trigger time you get. I tend to lay down quite a lot of fire and so I can go through a 800mah battery pretty quick like 20 standard mags or so and it is done(bad battery anyway). So keep it in mind that you may not have that much power and you may be a little more cautious on when and where you shoot which you should be anyway. Do not use that as an excuse for when you get capped but be selective in your shots and do not "spray and pray". have fun!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline azseal16

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 10:32:16 PM »
alright thanx a lot

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 12:17:30 PM »
An 8.4 v 2400-3000 mAH battery for your stock gun should last you several days, unless you fire full auto all the time for long periods of time.  Kind of like using the thing as a Saw, then it may only last you one day.  But you shouldnt be expecting a 2400-3000mah battery to die on you after a game or two.  If so you have a bad battery, not a full charge on it, or HOLY COW...get your finger surgically removed from that trigger!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline dekul

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 12:52:02 PM »
Hey, just bought a MP5-J from precision airsoft, and it takes only mini-size batteries. The only one's i've seen are 8.4 or 9.6v 600mAH, anyone know of higher capacity minis? This is only my second AEG, my m16 has a 3000mAH and lasts for days on end so I've never had to worry about batteries much. Should I spend the 80 or so bucks to get the large hand guard and put large batteries in it, what about external? Anyone who uses external batteries? Are they more hindrance than help? Thanks in advance for your advice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by dekul »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 05:13:13 PM »
Quote from: "dekul"
Hey, just bought a MP5-J from precision airsoft, and it takes only mini-size batteries. The only one's i've seen are 8.4 or 9.6v 600mAH, anyone know of higher capacity minis? This is only my second AEG, my m16 has a 3000mAH and lasts for days on end so I've never had to worry about batteries much. Should I spend the 80 or so bucks to get the large hand guard and put large batteries in it, what about external? Anyone who uses external batteries? Are they more hindrance than help? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Unfortunately there are not many options for collapsible stock MP5s.  That was one thing you should have considered before buying that AEG.  Other than a new handguard, your best choice would be an external battery on the stock.  Not pretty, but you can get a beastly battery!

Unless you upgrade it, you should be ok with the battery you have.  I used to play for 2-3 weekends on a single charge with my 600mAh 8.4v pack in my stock TM M4A1.  

What I would do is just buy a few more packs so you can keep the gun looking the way it should!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline dekul

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »
Thanks, I'll probably just get a couple extra batteries, cant forsee goin through too many (I'm usually light on the trigger.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by dekul »