Author Topic: Fire in the Sky  (Read 3020 times)

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Fire in the Sky
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:09:29 PM »
Did any one see those three lights South West of the Valley tonight?   I just saw them as I was almost home tonight at about 9:50pm  They were set in a configuration where the middle one was the highest in the sky and the second highest was to the west of the middle one and the third highest was to the east of the middle one.  Well they were very low on the horizon, I thought they were towers of some kind but then remembered never seeing any towers up on the Estrella Mountains before.  Plus the main factor was these points.  They were a steady orangish-yellow light, reminded me of what a street light looks like at a distance.  A tower would have a red flashing or steady becon on it for planes.  The next thing which is the very oddest thing I have seen, was that the middle one dissapeared.  It was like something moved infront of the light from left to right.  Then 5 seconds later the left one did the same, and followed by the 3rd one. What was that all about?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 10:12:03 PM »
It's obvious whatever I said at Jack in the Box made you go completely out of your mind.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:23:50 PM »
You need to have a waiver signed by the people around you because when you opened your mouth Mikey about died laughing : )  

I wonder if they could have been the tail end of aircraft using their afterburners?  From when I noticed them to when they disappeared was about 5 mins.  Could it have been a jet turning right, as I saw the light disappear with a sweep from left to right?  Dont know if you would use your after burner for that long of a period of time?   I just hear some jets or jet flying in.  I am near Lukes flight path.

But why I didnt think it was a plane or planes, was due to the large light balls to the fact that if it were a plane I would have thought that I could tell if they were moving or not.  But like I said they could have been going away from my position.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline sNiPeRWoLf88

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airsoftcoalition.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:49:44 PM »
Doubt it was a jet.

THose lights would have been moving way to fast to confuse with any stable object.  Plus, you wouldn't be able to see their burners from that distance.  Not likely anyways (plus they probably wouldn't have been using burners within proximity... they usually only use them on takeoff around here).

Lastly, you would have seen every other light on a jet.  Like the anti-collision lights and navigational lights.

SO keep asking.... because i doubt jet is the answer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by sNiPeRWoLf88 »
If you never assume importance, you never lose it.

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 11:14:48 PM »
It probly was the same thing it was the last time that those lights appeared. Some kind of aircraft dropped flare on a parachute.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Ghostsequel

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 11:30:08 PM »
Quote from: "Ganef"
It probly was the same thing it was the last time that those lights appeared. Some kind of aircraft dropped flare on a parachute.

If you're talking about the infamous 'Phoenix lights' like 7, 8 years ago, those were no flares, man.  The speed they were traveling, the directions, the formations....none of it consistent with flares.  Luke also scrambled air intercepts with full combat payload that night, according to witnesses.  And the flares would've had to have been dropped literally into some neighborhoods.  And radar didn't pick up any aircraft in that area, and Luke denied having any military craft up at that time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ghostsequel »

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 11:38:05 PM »
Well, it could be two things. Both, everyone is thinking of.. but no-one wants to say.

1. Drugs
2. Aliens
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 11:44:55 PM »
Quote from: "studdermonkey"
Well, it could be two things. Both, everyone is thinking of.. but no-one wants to say.

1. Drugs
2. Aliens

Remember when Symington, when on (1) came out with a dude in a (2) costume as an explanation to the Phoenix Lights?

Crazy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 02:05:13 AM »
...One possible explanation.

Sometimes when Vandenberg AFB has a launch, you see the missile/space payload/ ABM test ascend. VAFB is located N. of Los Angeles on the coast, and I've seen launches from as far away as Globe and Tucson as well.

It sometimes looks as if the missile is going backward.. Due to the launch trajectory and curvature of the Earth. Yellow lights could be a result of seeing the contrail through a low point of view with the dust and smog, like the yellow Moon when it rises sometimes.

Chip
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 02:12:01 AM »
...Oh, -and for those lights a few years back.. They were first reported in Kingman. -UFO in my book.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Mooncruiser »
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 07:48:43 AM »
Quote from: "Ghostsequel"
Quote from: "Ganef"

If you're talking about the infamous 'Phoenix lights' like 7, 8 years ago, those were no flares, man.  The speed they were traveling, the directions, the formations....none of it consistent with flares.  Luke also scrambled air intercepts with full combat payload that night, according to witnesses.  And the flares would've had to have been dropped literally into some neighborhoods.  And radar didn't pick up any aircraft in that area, and Luke denied having any military craft up at that time.

Yes I was taking about those lights and the airforce did say that it was flares.
"Close to Phoenix, to the west of the city, is the Luke Air Force Base (AFB - or Luke AFB – 56th Wing fighter equipped with F-16 planes. Luke AFB also hosts a training center for NATO pilots). The military authorities at Luke AFB were also questioned. First, they said that nothing anomalous occurred and they remained mute also. Only a few months later, the military released their own version of the events: the "Phoenix lights" resulted from a released of "flares" in the course of an exercise. Flares are decoys consisting in a light- and heat-emitting device. They are intended to fool air-to-air missiles fitted with an infra-red guiding system."

Don't go droppin your Art Bell shit on me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:48:01 AM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline cmptrdewd

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 09:45:07 AM »
I remember seeing those lights. I know what flares look like and those were not flares! The lights didn't drop, they moved at a steady pace through the sky in a triangular pattern. Notice Luke stayed quiet for a little and then said they dropped flares. Sounds a little more than suspishous to me!  :shock:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by cmptrdewd »

We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!
--John Adams and John Hancock [April 18, 1775]  \"These things we do, so that others may live!\" --Airforce Motto

Offline leadmagnet

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 10:32:34 AM »
Was that really the final explanation for the "Phoenix lights"?  Flares?

I'm think I'm about to start in with my "good griefs" again.

Lead
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by leadmagnet »

Offline AddoAduro

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 11:58:25 AM »
Well, I saw one light to the north east of Mesa last night, (about 8:15) it appeared to be traveling straight down, then it disapeared.

I didn't see any to the southwest though...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by AddoAduro »
Quote from: \"XavierMace\"
Every day I have to wade through mountains of stupid posts on forums by kids who feel it necessary to share their personal life on the internet like they think we care.

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 07:02:06 PM »
No I was not on Drugs Nathan!  :)  Dont know what they were.  There were three lights in a pyrimid formation that were non moving, steady balls of orangish-yellowish light.  Steady until they individually disappeared in that eclispe effect. I guess I was the only one to see, they were very low on the horizon, but clearly in the air past the mountain range here.  Dont know what they were, and will probally never know.  

My "great" uncle was an Army Aircore Pilot back in the day.  He flew supplies and troop transport. He told me that one night he was flying with one other C-47 late at night somewhere.  He saw a small white light that was traveling at a high rate of speed.  He thought it was an aircraft, but what a plane!  It was amazing since it was traveling so fast for the distance that it looked to be at.  He watched it travel across the sky as it then suddenly stopped for a second and then fell towards the horizon really fast for a few seconds.  Next, as it was falling, the light istantly made a 90 degree turn to return to level flight and then streaked across the sky and dissapeared.   Stunned, he looked over at his co-pilot, nodded and just keept on flying. Then the other C-47 pilot came over the radio and said " Ah Richey, did you just see what I saw?"  He replied back "No, I didnt see a thing, and you didn't either, you got that?."....he answered "Right, I didn't see anything." Why did he say something like that? Well, because back then he told me, if a pilot reported something like that they usually were taken off of active flight duty and then never seen again by the unit.  Some scary shit.

Don't be an Escalefter.