Author Topic: Immigration........Was Raped, but toned down  (Read 1304 times)

Ricky

• Trade Count: (0)
Immigration........Was Raped, but toned down
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:05:57 PM »
I realize the one thread got locked, after folks took it too far, however I saw this, and it reinforces WHY I say we have to seal the borders, enforce immigration rules, and deport those who just do not belong in the USA.

------------------------------------------------------------

Shooting Victims Identified
The Gila County Sheriff’s Office has identitfied the two people shot to death Sunday on Highway 87. The driver of the vehicle was 28 year old Mario Benitez of Mexico, an illegal alien, working and living in Phoenix. Identification was hampered by the fact that Benitez had 5 different identifications on him, a fraudulent Arizona driver’s license, and fictitious plates. The other victim was his 14 year old girlfriend. Benitez had been living with the girl, her father, and her brother with the understanding that he was only 17 years old. When they found out that he was really 28, they told him that he had to leave. Benitez left the house with the girl Sunday afternoon. The family told detectives that she was attempting to break up with him. The Sheriff’s Office has determined that when the deputy pulled the vehicle over, Benitez shot the girl in the neck and then shot himself in the head.

-----------------------------------------------

FLASH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ricky »

Offline Silverman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:52:28 PM »
I agree with the part about enforcing the rules - both for keeping people out, and for letting them in.  Mexicans pretty much get a free pass, but immigrants from any other country have a tough time.  My wife and I have been married for over eight years, and we have a six-year-old son, yet it will still be years before she is eligible for citizenship.  It took almost six years after our marriage just to get her green card - which expired almost a year ago, and she has only a piece of paper saying that it's extended because they haven't even been able to send a new card yet.  

Still, we thank God for Bush and Homeland Security - under Clinton and the old INS, we would never have gotten even this far!  They initially closed her case without even telling us - I finally had to file a FOIA request to even get her file number.  We got more done in one month after the changeover than we did in the six years before it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Silverman »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:06:17 PM »
Quote from: "Silverman"
I agree with the part about enforcing the rules - both for keeping people out, and for letting them in.  Mexicans pretty much get a free pass, but immigrants from any other country have a tough time.  My wife and I have been married for over eight years, and we have a six-year-old son, yet it will still be years before she is eligible for citizenship.  It took almost six years after our marriage just to get her green card - which expired almost a year ago, and she has only a piece of paper saying that it's extended because they haven't even been able to send a new card yet.  

Still, we thank God for Bush and Homeland Security - under Clinton and the old INS, we would never have gotten even this far!  They initially closed her case without even telling us - I finally had to file a FOIA request to even get her file number.  We got more done in one month after the changeover than we did in the six years before it.

I'm here on a Green Card through my marriage, got the green card in less than a year.  A green card is good for 10 years, unless you were married less than two years when she received it.  Also it only takes 3 years to get a citizenship through marriage (5 years if not through marriage).  The math isn't adding up on your green card expiration..?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline Silverman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »
Quote from: "andyhinds"
I'm here on a Green Card through my marriage, got the green card in less than a year.
If you applied between 1997 and 2000, then you were very lucky.  If you applied before that, you should have expected it within about 30-90 days.  After 2000, a little under a year was about average.  We hit a very bad period (and had quite a bit of bad luck also :( ).

A green card is good for 10 years, unless you were married less than two years when she received it.  
That would have been the case for us also if we had received it as fast as you did :D  Nowadays, the first green card is good for two years.  After that time, you can apply for a "permanent" 10-year card.  They haven't finished processing hers yet (although it's been almost three years now), so she's stuck having to get yearly extensions.

Also it only takes 3 years to get a citizenship through marriage (5 years if not through marriage).  

It's 5 years for everyone now (check your own link  ;) ), and it starts when the permanent residence card is received.  Simple math means 10-1/2 years of marriage for us before she can file for citizenship.

Thanks for moving to our country, though.  I firmly believe that immigrants (legal immigrants) breathe life into our country.  When the are so many people that were lucky enough to be born here that do nothing but complain about how bad it is, it's good to be reminded that people all over the world still love this country and choose to live here!

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 03:17:10 PM »
Quote from: "Silverman"
I'm here on a Green Card through my marriage, got the green card in less than a year.
If you applied between 1997 and 2000, then you were very lucky.  If you applied before that, you should have expected it within about 30-90 days.  After 2000, a little under a year was about average.  We hit a very bad period (and had quite a bit of bad luck also :( ).

A green card is good for 10 years, unless you were married less than two years when she received it.  
That would have been the case for us also if we had received it as fast as you did :D  Nowadays, the first green card is good for two years.  After that time, you can apply for a "permanent" 10-year card.  They haven't finished processing hers yet (although it's been almost three years now), so she's stuck having to get yearly extensions.

Also it only takes 3 years to get a citizenship through marriage (5 years if not through marriage).  
It's 5 years for everyone now (check your own link  ;) ), and it starts when the permanent residence card is received.  Simple math means 10-1/2 years of marriage for us before she can file for citizenship.

Thanks for moving to our country, though.  I firmly believe that immigrants (legal immigrants) breathe life into our country.  When the are so many people that were lucky enough to be born here that do nothing but complain about how bad it is, it's good to be reminded that people all over the world still love this country and choose to live here!

Not to argue but...

Generally, an applicant must show that he or she has been a person of good moral character for the statutory period (typically five years or three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for Armed Forces expedite) prior to filing for naturalization.

This link makes it the easiest!!
http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/wor ... ugLevel=2b
[/i]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline Cheeze_IZ_G00d

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 03:28:10 PM »
I personally fail to see why this has anything to do with immigration. Yes, the man was an illegal and had many different forms of identification on him. However, this crime could have been perpetrated by anyone, who probably would have had multiple identifications on him or her. Crime is crime, it does not matter who committed it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Cheeze_IZ_G00d »
Visit my website -
http://www.iwantafreedollarnow.com!!!

Get great ringtones here!

Offline Silverman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:29:42 PM »
Generally, an applicant must show that he or she has been a person of good moral character for the statutory period (typically five years or three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for Armed Forces expedite) prior to filing for naturalization.

This link makes it the easiest!!
http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/wor ... ugLevel=2b
[/i]

Dang... maybe the CIS person lied to us?  That would be cool - citizenship after only 8-1/2 years!  Considering you can apply 3 months early, we could go ahead and start the process (April will be three years).  Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's amazing what you can learn on the airsoft website - and to think of how many hours we've spent reading the immigration books and online info...)

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »
Quote from: "Cheeze_IZ_G00d"
I personally fail to see why this has anything to do with immigration. Yes, the man was an illegal and had many different forms of identification on him. However, this crime could have been perpetrated by anyone, who probably would have had multiple identifications on him or her. Crime is crime, it does not matter who committed it.

/Concur

This kind of thing isn't anywhere near being limited to illegal immigrants. As horrible as it is, it has nothing to do with immigration. You show me any group of people and I will show you pedophiles, thieves, and every other sort of criminal. Crime transcends nationality, culture, and every other social boundary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Raven1

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 02:31:16 PM »
Silverman,

You need to get yourself a good immigration lawyer!  That's what I did with my wife who is Japanese.  They filed all of the paperwork for us told us of any pitfalls and handled all the rest.

We applied in November, have had 2 FBI interviews and her final interview is March 21st.  The applications were change of status to permenant residency green card, travel authorization and work authorization!

Cost varies but you will find it is well worth the money!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raven1 »

Offline mini-support

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 09:07:20 AM »
I agree that we need to close the borders and force people to go through proper channels, my grandmother did. But, unless stricter penelties are enforced, closing the borders wont change a thing.

Stop simply sending them back to return again, put them in prison each time they are caught. 1 time = 1 year, 2 times = 5 years etc. Build these special prisons along our easiest borders to cross as a reminder to those who attempt an illegal crossing of the penelties.

Up the fines for hiring/employing illegals, actually make it hurt. Employers will figure out how to sniff them out if they know it will really cost to not.

Fine and/or deport families who harbor illegal family member(s) or immagrants, without question, american(fine) or not(deport).

Im all for diversity and the great melting pot we call home, just do it legally, my family did.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by mini-support »
Lyle
AirsoftAddicts.com

"It\'s time to let Old Painless out of the bag"....

Offline Silverman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 11:22:09 AM »
Quote from: "Raven1"
You need to get yourself a good immigration lawyer!

Yeah, really... our first bit of bad luck was when our immigration lawyer got disbarred  :?

If we have any more trouble, do you mind if I ask for the name of your lawyer?

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 01:34:05 PM »
disbarred..... would that have been "Max Garcia" by any chance?

MOST immigration lawyers will be honest and tell you no chance in hell can you get LPR satus in the USA.  There are some who will take your $2,000 to $10,000 and lead you on right up to the point where you are jailed and deported.

I have prepared hundreds of petitions and adjustment of status packets and for every person I could help there were 10 or more who I had to turn away - most of them had only one reason they could not legally acquire LPR status:  They were here without inspection or overstayed a visa for more than 2 years (10 year automatic ban).  Had they followed the requirements they would have been allowed entry.

Its unfortunate.  All the technology in this world and it comes down to "get out of my sandbox."

IMHO
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Doc Hollywood »

Raven1

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 08:04:43 PM »
Shoshanna Tancer of,

Galbut & Hunter Law Firm!

She's been in the business for over 30 years!  She looks like "Aunt May" from "Spider Man" but really knows her law.  She been practicing here in the valley most of that time and Knows or has dealt with just about every judge, lawyer and agency that operates here in the valley!

Money Well Spent!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raven1 »

Offline TheStenGun

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 12:44:11 PM »
8-10 years for citizenship!? Man I am glad that my wife had no problems with her application; It took us only 4 1/2  to get her full citizenship (she is from New Zealand BTW)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TheStenGun »