Author Topic: Yes...gear questions from a noob..  (Read 2342 times)

Offline GenTarkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private First Class
    • View Profile
Yes...gear questions from a noob..
« on: April 28, 2006, 02:25:05 PM »
Ive read the noob's guide, read several expensive gear reviews in this section of the forum. Im still confused on what to get, what will be decent gear and the like.
I ordered recently my first gun from airsoftgi.com decided to go with CA M15A4 setup to start.
on that site they offer tons of gear, Im wondering are the vests and water systems and slings and all that stuff on that site decent at all?
Its all pretty good prices, butI dont know how "cheap" or "crappy" those items will be.
If anyon ehas some feedback on that place for starting gear suggestions I would greatly appreciate it =)
Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by GenTarkin »

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:22:03 PM »
A lot of people here are going to tell you that if you don't spend $200+ on your gear you are wasting your time and money.

If you are just going to play 1-2 times a month, one of the multitude of less expensive gear rigs will do you fine. Infinity stuff from JT is only $40, and I doubt you will wear it out in less than 2 years.

In fact if you are new to this I would encourage you over time to try out different low end setups so you can get an idea of what works for you and later, when you have settled on something you might think about getting a higher end version. Using some low end rigs will also later give you an appreciation for the high end stuff.

The two things you don't want to skimp on are your eye protection, and your hydration. I don't have to explain why eye protection is important, and hopefully the same goes for the hydration. A good camelback will not only last a long time, but you can attach it to almost any other rig you choose and playing in AZ, water is critical.

Anyway, just my $.02
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lightning_Man »

It is what we do,
when we believe we can do no more\' that makes us who we are.

Offline Farslayer

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:45:42 PM »
Quote from: "Lightning_Man"
If you are just going to play 1-2 times a month, one of the multitude of less expensive gear rigs will do you fine. Infinity stuff from JT is only $40, and I doubt you will wear it out in less than 2 years.

+1

I wore a cambel back, buttpack and this rig from CQB solutions:

http://store.botachtactical.com/cqbopserches.html

This rig is under 50.00 and works great...I still have it.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Farslayer »
Benn

Offline GenTarkin

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »
what about something cheap like this:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1107

or simpler:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1019

I know its nothing modular like what all you folks have =P but its cheap and looks like it has the basic stuff....hrmm...I just dont know.

I do like the above you posted, and where would I find the camelbak and the buttpack solutions...
thanks

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »
I don't know that company but it's probably fine. As long as when it arrives it doesn't have a bunch of threads hanging off it...

Give some thought to the question of using hicap magazines or not. The second one you linked isn't going to hold that many magazines so if you are using lowcaps or midcaps you might find yourself running dry on ammo out in the field. If you plan to use hicaps then no worries.

Honestly for what they are, and what they cost, I would pay a visit to jungle toy before deciding. At least they have something you can compare with and you would get a chance to see in person before you buy it.

-Jeff

It is what we do,

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:28:36 PM »
To understand what gear you need you have to understand your particular and unique loadout. You have to sit down and figure out these things:

1) What is it that I am going to carry on me?
2) Of the things I carry what do I need to be able to get to the fastest?, seccond? what don't I need acess to while my rig is on?
3)Modular or not?
4) Is this rig going to be comfortable? is it going to allow me to shoulder a weapon on both sides? am I going to be able to wear it for an extended period without getting fatigued or injured?
5) What is my price range, and what is there out on the market that fits my specific need? Is the color I want availiable? is it durable enough? how good is the resale value?

You have to go through these things with the consideration that when you buy cheap gear, not only is it probly not going to fit the need you have but its resale value is so low it becomes a disposable item. People may joke about guys that spend a ton on gear but everything I have (and now make) fits my needs exactly, it is comfortable, it is in the right color, it is versitile, it enhances my performance and I could sell it all tomorrow and get out of it exactly what I paid for it. If you are not sure what kind of loadout is the best for you, go modular. Buy a Tactical tailor MAV and xharness and build on it the pouches that fit your loadout and if they dont work for you, sell them to other aa members and get something else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Brando

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 12:00:47 AM »
in your 2nd post gen the two links, I own the top one and I used it for a while, it is a good vest.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Brando »
To many guns to fit in here

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 01:01:28 AM »
I echo Ganef's comments completely.  Assess your needs and determine your requirements from there.

I carry 8 magazines, a dump pouch, a radio, and a utility pouch to store my reloading tools, death rag, extra battery, etc.  There is no room for anything else on my rig because that is exactly what I want to carry.

Its all about what works for you the best.  Find something that combines what you think is cool and what fits your needs and you can't go wrong.

---

My personal take on Crossdraw vests - I dislike the crossdraw, because of the amount of room the holster takes up on the vest.  There are vests with six rifle magazine pouches (mirroring the other side) that will hold 12 M4 (6 AK) magazines.  I prefer these vests, as you can still hold a pistol in one of the rifle magazine pouches.  So instead of 6 mags and a pistol, you can hold 10 mags and a pistol.  It can still be crossdraw, too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline GenTarkin

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 05:34:22 AM »
I do like the modular idea at the moment the best, but it appears the price can get really high really quick and I dont know if I wanna go that far yet =/
but that I will decide in time...
more importantly,
what color camo would be best for the games in arizona? desert camo or forest camo I know both for both situations but I dont have that much money atm =P lol.
So if needed what would camo better, forest in desert situation or desert in forest environment...
Also, on average how many mags should I have for an average game here in AZ. My mags will hold 300rnds stock, 2-3? I dont know how many rounds on avg one goes through =)
Thanks,
Jason

also, thanks for being helpful guys =-) Im starting to piece together some ideas, and I do like that top link vest atm, if I dont decide to go modular right from the start. Looks like a decent all in one solution.

Offline Brando

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »
I carry 16 70 round mags and there has only been one game where i ran dry.  that was a speedball field with alot respawns.  normaly a game at southwest paintball with 30 people i will use 5 70rnd mags at most.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Brando »
To many guns to fit in here

Offline GenTarkin

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »
well I think I found my first set of gear:
let me know what you all think ...
I went to jungletoy today in phx here and the guy there was really cool he showed me some infinity tactical stuff and I think there are 2 items that will work really well.

http://www.airsoft128.com/xcart/catalog ... 33877.html

http://www.airsoft128.com/xcart/catalog ... 33880.html

and a water bladder from there that will fit into the big hidden flat pocket on the back piece.

then matching knee pads and elbow pads, and Desert BDU's from somewhere. if anyone could link me to nice yet good priced BDU's I would be greatful =)

maybe a hat, and still tryin to figure what eye protection to go with. I need something that will work with smallish glasses if there is even such goggles.

I believe the above would make an awesome starter set for 1 day events...throw in a couple mags, a battery and yadda yadda it looked like it will hold tons of stuff a sidearm even too, when I get around to buying one that will fit most tactical equipment as I have a DE right now...too big =/
and then that chest piece has some MOLLE connector stuff on the top half for whatever future modules will be needed, maybe a radio carrier or something.

Let me know what yall think.
Thanks,
Jason

Offline Kurn

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
Quote from: "GenTarkin"
if anyone could link me to nice yet good priced BDU's I would be greatful =)

http://www.bdu.com

still tryin to figure what eye protection to go with. I need something that will work with smallish glasses if there is even such goggles.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/esstacticalxt.html

These are probably the least expensive solution if you need to wear goggles over glasses.  There are better solutions, but they can get pricy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kurn »
Not dead yet.

Offline GenTarkin

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 08:49:32 PM »
sweet thanks man =)

Offline Lightning_Man

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 09:59:54 PM »
more importantly,
what color camo would be best for the games in arizona? desert camo or forest camo I know both for both situations but I dont have that much money atm =P lol.
So if needed what would camo better, forest in desert situation or desert in forest environment...

Thanks,
Jason

Generally AA games are played green vs. tan
There are a number of colors patterns that work well and no one pattern/color is going to be best all the time. We play at several different places and each has slightly different terrain/foliage etc. The time of year changes things at each AO as well. I would start out by deciding to commit yourself to either green or tan (picj your uniform first) then get your gear to go with whatever you selected.

It is what we do,

Offline Twitchy Konigkeit

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ahwatac
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »
well if your not gonna be a weekend plinker then what Gen Tarkin posted is a good set up one of us from AHWATAC has one and its really intersesting and durable, we have used the drag handle on it too(several times) and it won't rip! the backpeice is cool too! works great and pretty comfortable. its really cheap for the hole set up too.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Twitchy Konigkeit »