Author Topic: Walther P99 .40SW and concealed carry?  (Read 12101 times)

Offline Giland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Walther P99 .40SW and concealed carry?
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »
Quote from: "XavierMace"
I just have to say this.  For those of you using the MP5 as your main defense for 9mm, why did they make the MP-5/10 or MP-5/40?   Or the UMP primarily available in .40/.45?  Because they know 9mm often isn't sufficient.  The only reason they use a 9mm is for manageability on full auto.

I was the only one that I am aware of that specifically mentioned the MP5, and it was to contradict the statement that 9mm isn't a good tactical round. Again, the MP5 is the most popular SMG in the world, bar none.  If it wasn't a good tactical round in a good weapon, then it would never have become the most popular. Apparently a lot of folks in a lot of countries thought it was just fine and bought a lot of them. Come on, when you think H&K, isn't the first thing that comes to mind the MP5?
The MP5 was first introduced in 1966. It wasn't until 1992 that the 10mm and 40S&W was introduced in the weapon, and both were discontinued in 2000 I believe.  27 years it was only available as a 9mm and has been back to that way for the last 8 years. The 10mm version was created specifically for the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation due to the 1986 shooting which had the FBI do a bunch of ballistic tests and go with the 10mm. I am sure the FBI ordered a decent amount to fund the research needed for H&K to make the 10mm version. Of course, H&K never made a 45 version....why is that?

I wasn't arguing which is better, my argument was with the statement that the 9mm is not a tactical round.
Is the 9mm as good as a 45? No, of course not, but the 45 isn't the best round either. Each round has pluses and minuses that anyone looking for a carry gun has to weight and factor into what they want. What qualifies a good carry gun for one person might be a horrible choice for someone else. Size, weight, recoil, gun design, complexity of use, muzzle flash, magazine size, conceal-ability are all weighted differently for different people. There is no one "right" answer, just pros and cons.
Here is to hoping the pros beat the cons. 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
Well said....

personally I did my "prove it" a great many years ago.  I'm a little busy doing grown up things right now like preparing for the bar exam, jury trials, and trying to fit some high level milsim in between it all so I can't come out and do the my cock is bigger than your cock routine with a 25 year old fuckstick poser.

Seems to me though that its the ones who brag about how they did this and that and they have such great skills that end up like Nick Maas...   :---)  FOS.

Polie, I don't hate you.  You don't matter enough for me to hate you.  I have forgotten more cumstains like you than I could even keep track of.  You simply do not exist in the real world were the rest of us are living.  

But I understand why you have to keep drawing the attention to you.  Its OK..  the short bus is waiting for you now though so run along buh bye now...

Quote from: "Ganef"
Quote from: "Polie"
Quote from: "Doc Hollywood"
Polie is a fuckingposer anyway....
 like I said, dont hate me because I am better than you.

Talk is cheap, come out to the 4th match and prove it.

Offline usafcajun

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
    • Black Company
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
Quote from: "Doc Hollywood"
But I understand why you have to keep drawing the attention to you.  Its OK..  the short bus is waiting for you now though so run along buh bye now...

ROFLMAO......I make it a point to search out Docs posts to read.   =D>   =D>   =D>
USAFcajun
------------------------
** MCLMM **
 OP:Lion Claws VI  -  Tribe Longgrear

Offline Maestro

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
That's what these guys don't get, they can't win arguing with doc because he's smarter than they are and has had more time to perfect his technique  :lol:

Offline cburnett

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2008, 11:49:25 PM »
It sounds like everyone had "grown up things to do" like taking the bar exam... opinions are fine and everyone is entitled to them.  I think this thread has turned into a small man compensation bitch off.  I'm out for good.  See you out there when the real S@*% hits the fan, cause I'm the one you'll be calling.

Offline satallite

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
Quote from: "LaserRacer"
Hey I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Walther P99?

I have been looking at handguns for a little while, trying to decide what I want to get myself for a concealed carry firearm.

I would like to start carrying soon so that I am used to it in a few years when I qualify as an armed crewmember (airline pilot).

For years I wanted a 1911, but after much thought I decided that I wanted a double action for carry purposes. At this point the idea of having one in the pipe and the hammer back seems like a dangerous one.

So anyway, to make a long story short I decided that I liked the feel of the P99. I also was led to believe by a few LEOs back home that it is best to carry something in .40SW or .45ACP.

So my questions to all of you...

1: Experience with the P99 (especially in the .40)
2: Any other handguns you would recommend for a first concealed carry?

Thanks for all of your help.

I know you wanted personal experience, but this is the best i have.

My Dad carries the Walther P99 .40cal as his CCW. he hasn't had any problems with it and has been carrying it for awhile now. As of late he has been carrying a glock, but plans on going back to the Walther.
.308 holes leave empty souls
.308=/=.223

Offline BOLDEGRAPHICS.com

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boldegraphics.com/
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2009, 05:04:26 AM »
dude dont waste ur time  with a walther or a 40 get a sig!
!!!SNIPERS!!! ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Offline Fat_Santa54

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
Quote from: "LaserRacer"
Hey I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Walther P99?

I have been looking at handguns for a little while, trying to decide what I want to get myself for a concealed carry firearm.

I would like to start carrying soon so that I am used to it in a few years when I qualify as an armed crewmember (airline pilot).

For years I wanted a 1911, but after much thought I decided that I wanted a double action for carry purposes. At this point the idea of having one in the pipe and the hammer back seems like a dangerous one.

So anyway, to make a long story short I decided that I liked the feel of the P99. I also was led to believe by a few LEOs back home that it is best to carry something in .40SW or .45ACP.

So my questions to all of you...

1: Experience with the P99 (especially in the .40)
2: Any other handguns you would recommend for a first concealed carry?

Thanks for all of your help.

FYI- I didnt read all 7 pages.

Dad has a P99 (9mm) that i have "inherited", i love the way it feels... grip wise,I cant really compare it to any other 9mm off the top of my head, and i have no clue how the .40 shoots. I am not a fan of the P99 sights, but other than that i like the gun a lot.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »
Quote from: "BOLDEGRAPHICS.com"
Wouldn't carry a sig either for a 1st line real world weapon.

Nothing will ever be as reliable as a Glock. Hands down..

The kid in the beginning of the post said he went to a range and fired a 17 and didn't like it. I wouldn't trust the impression of a range owned weapon. They are abused and horribly kept most of the time. Point in fact I tried out a Kimber compact Pro II at SGC once.. half the mag jammed and it had just 'been cleaned'. The other thing is keeping that weapon clean and ready to go. Why would you trust your life, or someone elses.. to a weapon that is dirty or has known issues..

Offline Exarach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »
Glocks are amazing, other then the feel, which is fantastic, there was a guy that put one of these through a torture test and its was incredible what it could survive. I will look for the link and post it if I find it.

**Edit. Here you go! http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90
I think this has been on here before, but I just found it on google. Search for a 250 round test If you want more! It is fantastic, and the guy lives in AZ.
\"Friendly fire isn\'t\"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?

Offline Polie

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
there are only 2 problems with that,

1) This is an OLD thread

and

2) Its still a Glock
"Dude! Your ride is sick as fuck!"

Offline Ranger_Robby

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Quote from: "BOLDEGRAPHICS.com"
Wouldn't carry a sig either for a 1st line real world weapon.

Nothing will ever be as reliable as a Glock. Hands down..

The kid in the beginning of the post said he went to a range and fired a 17 and didn't like it. I wouldn't trust the impression of a range owned weapon. They are abused and horribly kept most of the time. Point in fact I tried out a Kimber compact Pro II at SGC once.. half the mag jammed and it had just 'been cleaned'. The other thing is keeping that weapon clean and ready to go. Why would you trust your life, or someone elses.. to a weapon that is dirty or has known issues..

I shoot both a Glock 17 and a Sig P229R DAK. the Glock has been super reliable but as most guns has the break-in feed issues until the feed ramp was polished. The handle on the also glock feels to be at a different angle then other guns and is pretty squared off so it might not be for everyone. The Sig came from the factory shooting straight with out any breaking-in issues, to this day it has not had any failures, not one. the grip is way more ergonomic especially since putting the houge grip on was easy, the only ergomonic option if the factory grip doesnt fit for the glock is a slip-on that aint that great.

I wouldnt discount the Sig to not be used as a real world front line weapon, do you own one? Just wonderin how you came to this decision. They are very high quality firearms and trusted by many government agencies for thier reliablity. i trust it will work every time, because it literally has. Also the slide has a better feel with the action and it's kinda nice to have an external hammer to not just feel the pull but to see it in your peripheral where that hammer drop point is.

I love the Glock because it's simple and when it needs to work, it works.. it's just so damn ugly. The Sig has a sexiness factor with it that the glock will never have and also works when you need it no matter what. Both are great guns but both are not for everybody.
Quote from: \"Vince\"
ALRIGHT GIRLS YOU\'RE BOTH PRETTY

NOW SHUT THE **** UP

Offline Woodman

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2011, 12:30:20 AM »
Guy's here's my Walther P99 I'm new in this gun, what do you think of this?
In a war weapons are really important like guns, knifes or brass knuckle, but not the decisive one; it is man and not materials that counts.

Offline GhostSOCOMM4

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://wolfpacktacticalsblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »
Quote from: "Woodman"
Guy's here's my Walther P99 I'm new in this gun, what do you think of this?

Check your dates before posting.

This thread is close to a year old.

Offline satallite

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Quote from: "GhostSOCOMM4"
This thread is close to a year old.
Over a year old.
.308 holes leave empty souls
.308=/=.223