Author Topic:  (Read 13801 times)

Offline Stoli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: September 14, 2004, 12:35:35 PM »
I happen to agree with this one. Why does anyone need a 50cal sniper rifle to go shooting at a range? Answer: You Dont. Its a weapon designed to kill people. Unless youre in the marines trainng to be a sniper, there is no reason in the world for anyone to own a 50cal sniper rifle. Saying its for "sporting" use is complete bull****. I've never seen a deer with armor plating, therefore a 50cal is not required...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Stoli »

Offline Under_Fire

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 12:44:54 PM »
Right, cause we all know how often 50cal is used in crime, and we all know how many aircraft are shot down by sniper rifles every year. Where did all the common sense go?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Under_Fire »
O god! I could be bounded in a nushell, count myself king of infinite space, were it not that i have bad dreams...

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:45:48 PM »
why do you need a car that can do over 75 miles per hour? TO each there own I do not shoot all my guns I am a collector also, If they can sell you on this ban then they can sell you on more gun bans,
I have a .50 muzzle loader should that be banned also?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline Stoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:57:38 PM »
And up untill 9-11 we all knew about how many planes were flown into buildings too. Its common sense to realize it COULD happen, & prevent it...Cmon guys, youre seriously trying to put reason into owning a 50cal? Theres no reasoning in the world for that. And Gix, if youre able to shoot down planes, then yes it should be banned also...

Offline Under_Fire

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »
Under that resoning, there also is no reason to own assault weapons. You don't have them for any practical everyday use, so why have them?
"To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government'
-Declaration of Independance
O god! I could be bounded in a nushell, count myself king of infinite space, were it not that i have bad dreams...

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 01:15:56 PM »
Furthermore, the burden of proof lies upon those looking to restrict rights, not merely exercise them.  It doesn't matter if you can't prove a need.

"Banning" objects based on their potential is a dangerous and terrible precendent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Stoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 01:21:32 PM »
I dont think people need assault weapons, but since everyone on here is a gun nut, I havent said ****, but when you start defending a 50cal sniper rifle I will. Assault weapons are one thing, sniper rifles are a completely different subject. They are designed for one thing, to kill people. Not deer, not turkey, people. you can try to "sporterize" it all you want, its still designed to take human life....

& youre quote from the DoI, simply suggests mutany on the gov't if they do something you dont like...I'd love to see someone try.

Offline Stoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Raith</i>
<br />"Banning" objects based on their potential is a dangerous and terrible precendent.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So youre able to handle nuclear material then? Thats banned, & I dont see anyone tryin to make it legal...

And if you want proof that 50cals are dangerous, just wait til someone shoots down a plane, or assasinates the Pres.

What if John Allen Muhammad & Lee Malvo (DC Snipers) had a 50cal? You'd still want them out on the streets for anyone to buy? What if a member of your family had been killed by a 50cal. Would you still be against the ban then? I seriously doubt it...

Offline Victor3

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 01:50:25 PM »
I think a better question than why do you need a .50 rifle is: If you're a law abiding citizen and not going to use it for illegal purposes why should they be banned. Anyone that really wants to use them for illegal purposes isn't going to care wether they are banned and they're going to get and use them anyways. MANY more people die every year from drunk drivers........I guess they should ban cars and alcohol then. As for nuclear material, if you really want to handle it you can get a license to, but trust me.....you REALLY don't want to, WAY too much red tape.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Victor3 »
"Victor3"
Airsoft AZ
Eat Hot Lead...uh...I mean Plastic!!

Offline Under_Fire

• Private
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 01:53:18 PM »
A .50cal sniper rifle wouldn't have made the DC snipers any more dangerous. In fact, the sound, muzzleflash, and size of the gun probably would have made them that much easier to find.

.50 BMG wasn't designed with people in mind. It was designed to hit soft targets at a safe range (trucks, APCs, communication outposts, fixed emplacements, etc.) without risking sending in a demolition or Anti-armor team.

Offline Greg

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stoli</i>
<br />
What if John Allen Muhammad & Lee Malvo (DC Snipers) had a 50cal? You'd still want them out on the streets for anyone to buy? What if a member of your family had been killed by a 50cal. Would you still be against the ban then? I seriously doubt it...

It would not have made a difference if they had a 50 cal or a 5.56 (which they did). In each case, they fired a round off and killed one person. The only difference would have been the larger wound on the person. The end result would be exactly the same. They could have used almost any gun.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stoli</i>
<br />And up untill 9-11 we all knew about how many planes were flown into buildings too. Its common sense to realize it COULD happen, & prevent it...Cmon guys, youre seriously trying to put reason into owning a 50cal? Theres no reasoning in the world for that. And Gix, if youre able to shoot down planes, then yes it should be banned also...

So we were too late. We should have banned airplanes and box cutters before 9-11. There was potential there.

Seriously, though, all of their reasoning behind banning 50's is that there is potential. Not many people have them so they are fairly easy to get a ban on. They've been around for quite some time now and have yet to catch on with criminals. As Matt said, the burden of proof is on their side, not ours and they haven't made much of a case for 50's being a problem.

Just because you can't see why someone would ever want to own or do something doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. Anti-gun people don't understand guns or their appeal and the little bit of knowledge they do have comes from movies. So of course they think guns should be banned. When was the last time you saw a potential rape victim defend herself with a gun in a movie? When was the last time you saw a gang-banger do a drive-by or saw someone try to assasinate a politican with a sniper rifle in a movie? Anti-gun logic usually seems to make a lot of sense until you do some research and look at crime statistics to see that the things they try to get banned aren't even a real issue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Greg »
-Greg of Christian\'s Team

Offline Stoli

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 02:22:01 PM »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by USMC-Greg</i>
<br />When was the last time you saw a gang-banger do a drive-by...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

2 weeks ago, right across the street from my house. 25 rounds from an SKS, & another 30 from 9mm. It happens, more then rich suburban ****s like to think...

Offline delta_echo

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 02:49:44 PM »
I can make a better case for banning all pools than they can for banning sniper rifles. I guarantee that more people drown in pools than are killed by .50 sniper rifles each year and *oh my gosh* most of the deaths are kids. So should we fill in all pools. Well, no, people enjoy them. BUT THEY'RE DANGEROUS. That can be true, but exactly when are they dangerous? When unsupervised children or those who don't know how to swim are in or near them. Thing is, if used properly, they're a great way to cool down and blow off some steam.

By the way, thats just with drownings. That doesn't even get into accidents caused by slips, mess-ups on diving board, or just general rowdiness that can result in death, paralysis, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by delta_echo »

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 03:05:24 PM »
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by USMC-Greg</i>
<br />When was the last time you saw a gang-banger do a drive-by...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

2 weeks ago, right across the street from my house. 25 rounds from an SKS, & another 30 from 9mm. It happens, more then rich suburban ****s like to think...

You've taken Greg's quote out of context here and changed and applied it to your own ends.

He wasn't asking if you've seen any shootings lately, he was pointing out that there is usually far more protrayal/instances of negative firearm use in movies than there are of firearms saving lives and preventing crimes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 04:16:38 PM »
Stoli, I guess it's time for you to turn in your Airsoft guns then.  Why on earth do you need guns that replicate and simulate REAL ASSAULT rifles!!!???

Fear a government that fears your guns!  Our country was founded on the principle that ALL men have the inallienable right to keep and bear arms.  The did not stipulate the size, style, capacity and so forth.  Sure it was 200 years ago, but they were very intelligent people and took 13 years to come up with the Bill of Rights.  I'm sure if they wanted to limit us to what we could possess they would have done so with some type of wording.  However... they did no such thing.  So who's going to tell me that I'm not allowed to own and shoot a 50 Caliber rifle?  If they want to ban it then they'd better go all the way to the top and ban manufacture of them, because as long as their legally sold in the US then it's a bunch of BS trying to ban them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Harley »
\"Just because you\'re paranoid, doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you!\"

\"Have Gun - Will Travel\"