Author Topic: Barrel oil and gearbox grease  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Chayote

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://chayotemu.com
Barrel oil and gearbox grease
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:06:18 PM »
I was wondering if anybody knows of a decent place in town (Mesa/Tempe/and that corner of Phoenix area) to get silicon oil for my AEG barrel and grease for my gearbox? I've got an AEG and want to use it but had to take it apart to replace the hopup so that's pretty dry. I also had to replace the piston and it took me a few tries to get all the parts in there at the same time :oops: so that lost a lot of the grease. I'd like to use this for the game this weekend and don't have the ability to get the stuff off of the Internet right now because my credit card company is run by inept people and it'll take too long to pay by mail and get the stuff. Also if anybody has some extra available I'd be willing to buy some off of you. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Chayote »
\"We think Coyotes howl at the moon, but really they laugh with their friend.\"
\"To catch a thief you can hire a thief, to catch a master thief you must be a master thief.\"
MOSKVASPEZNAZ

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:27:36 PM »
Why would you put oil in your barrel?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 10:47:59 PM »
Silicon oil.. alot of people do. It helps clean it :-X
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:24:31 PM »
I spray a little bit on the AR-15 wipes that I use for my Bushmaster. I thread it through the plastic cleaning rod,  then go in a up and down twisting motion to clean my barrel. Makes the barrel nice and shiny. So fresh and so clean clean...lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:12:06 PM »
I use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a small  Hoppe's square with the provided cleaning rod for AEGs.  After a few swipes, using a fresh square each time, I run two dry squares through.  After that, I moisten another clean square with some 50 weight silicon R/C shock oil and run it through.  Another dry square through to remove excess, leaving a very tiny ammount of silicon, and I'm done.

When I do this, I clean the hop bucking with spray silicon (very low viscosity compared to the shock oil) and a Hoppe's square.  Then, I wipe it several times to remove any silicon that may remain.  Some guys spray the stuff in there, which only reduces the sticky effect of the rubber bucking.  This reduces the hop-up effect, and makes it inconsistent.

I clean the hopup chamber itself in the same manner as the barrel.  Q-tips can be used here rather than the cleaning rod/cleaning squares.

For gearbox lubrication, alot of guys use white lithium grease which is available at any hardware store.  You might have to get it in a larger cardboard tube, but it's all the same stuff.  What I use now, however, is USGI M14 grease.  It comes in small plastic cups with a yellow cap, and is available at gun shows for less than a dollar.  Raith gave me some, and said he heard about it from Harley.  It apparently stays-put better than white lithium, and provides more durable lubrication for your gears.  Use it sparingly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Chayote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://chayotemu.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 03:26:30 PM »
That's for the suggestions guys. I'll see what I can find now that I have an idea what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Chayote »
\"We think Coyotes howl at the moon, but really they laugh with their friend.\"
\"To catch a thief you can hire a thief, to catch a master thief you must be a master thief.\"
MOSKVASPEZNAZ

Offline Harley

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 07:40:13 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
I use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a small  Hoppe's square with the provided cleaning rod for AEGs.  After a few swipes, using a fresh square each time, I run two dry squares through.  After that, I moisten another clean square with some 50 weight silicon R/C shock oil and run it through.  Another dry square through to remove excess, leaving a very tiny ammount of silicon, and I'm done.

When I do this, I clean the hop bucking with spray silicon (very low viscosity compared to the shock oil) and a Hoppe's square.  Then, I wipe it several times to remove any silicon that may remain.  Some guys spray the stuff in there, which only reduces the sticky effect of the rubber bucking.  This reduces the hop-up effect, and makes it inconsistent.

I clean the hopup chamber itself in the same manner as the barrel.  Q-tips can be used here rather than the cleaning rod/cleaning squares.

For gearbox lubrication, alot of guys use white lithium grease which is available at any hardware store.  You might have to get it in a larger cardboard tube, but it's all the same stuff.  What I use now, however, is USGI M14 grease.  It comes in small plastic cups with a yellow cap, and is available at gun shows for less than a dollar.  Raith gave me some, and said he heard about it from Harley.  It apparently stays-put better than white lithium, and provides more durable lubrication for your gears.  Use it sparingly.

That's the way to do it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Harley »
\"Just because you\'re paranoid, doesn\'t mean they\'re not out to get you!\"

\"Have Gun - Will Travel\"