Author Topic: shredders concave spacer "SCS"  (Read 5472 times)

Offline THE DUNN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
shredders concave spacer "SCS"
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:03:46 PM »
A Shredder's Concave Spacer or SCS replaces the stock hop-up nubs/spacers that come along with AEG's. It it manually made on a lathe and each is measured with the use of a Mitutoyo Digital Caliper in order to get a precise measurement that will make it fit inside the hop assembly and the barrel window.

For those of you who don't know what it looks like
I
                                                                          I
                                                                          V

Trust me.. this picture does not show just how small this little guy is, here is a pic of it sitting on top of a BB (notice the perfect contour of the "nub" and how it fits around the BB)

* It's Made from special impact-resistant non-biodegradable-environment-hostile engineering plastic that theoretically lasts forever
(but of course, we won't live that long to find out)

* Machined 1 piece (not molded)

* Cut just right to fit standard hop-ups. (custom sizes available upon request)

* Designed for maximum bb surface contact
I
I
V

Keep in mind that you HAVE TO use a SOFT HOP UP BUCKING for it to work properly.. If you don't the BB will not fit the concave design of the "nub" and will pretty much render it useless. Also some modification may be needed to use this "nub"

THIS IS STRAIGHT OFF SHREDDERS WEB SITE

The SCS makes your hop-up very sensitive and it must be aligned/centered properly to get its maximum effect.

The SCS is not a "plug and play" hop-up upgrade and you must eliminate all the hop-up problems (wobbles, misalignments, hop-up defects such as plastic/metal "flash" that came from the factory molds, barrel window must be at least 4.10mm wide and the edges should not be sharp).

-Now for the actual review-

I have a 09' Classic Army m14a4, before the "nub" it was shooting a little below average (BB's would go way off the path of the others)
so i decided to invest in a tight bore... i went to gearbox and picked me up a mad bull 6.03mm bore at 363mm long, after i installed it i noticed that the groupings were much tighter than the stock barrel but BB's were still going all hay wire practically every 10 or 15 shots. Thats when i new that the hop up was the problem. so i looked around and found some write ups of the SCS and decided to get it along with a systema bucking (all from Evike.com)

I installed it and presto chango the random BB's were all taken care of and the groupings were even tighter

This is a great investment and i would not recommend anything other than this for your hop up. Even if your not having  any problems with your gun, this will greatly enhance the performance of your gun.

Be weary tho.. my order was on back order for about a week and a half before they shipped it out
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:47:02 AM by THE DUNN »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
Re: shredders concave spacer "SCS"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
Why hasn't anyone though of this yet?

I think one made of acetal would be interesting, and I bet I could make one ;) .  This is like the airsoft equivalent to the Crane o-ring - simple yet effective.

Thank you for posting this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline THE DUNN

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »
Thank you, i was hoping this would be a good and useful write up.

I'm not familiar with acetal but i think i know where your coming from.. are you thinking the "nub" is a soft piece of rubber that can squish?? Because its not, but if thats not what you think then i'm lost haha
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:45:44 AM by THE DUNN »

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
No, acetal is hard.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline THE DUNN

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:51:52 AM »
so what exactly is acetal and what would the difference be in this type of application? (plastics VS acetal)

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
You can machine acetal.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline THE DUNN

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
Quote from: "THE DUNN"

* Machined 1 piece (not molded)

but this is machined.. and sorry if this is getting on anyones nerves, i am just curious to know the differences of acetal vs plastic

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
I don't know enough about chemistry to explain the differences between acetal and, say, polystyrene.  Acetal machines well, and has great tolerance.

I don't have any reason for wanting to use it other than the fact that I have access to it, and the capability to mill it.  I could make one of the metal units like you posted as well.  

Regardless, this is a product that improves function, and I applaud it's developer for bringing it to bear.

There's just always a way to improve a design.

Offline THE DUNN

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:06:56 PM »
i say go for it, it would probably be a lot cheaper then the 8 bucks (thats still pretty cheap but hey.. moneys money) plus i bet you could make bank if you sold them locally and who knows maybe you will get into it and improve on other parts.

Offline stealthmaster14

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
The SCS is an amazing upgrade when installed correctly.  (sometimes it requires modifications to get it to sit level) I'm glad yours just dropped in. They can be somewhat of a pain to install in G36 hop up units in my experience. Totally worth it though. :)

I'm getting 170 foot shots with the STOCK SRC barrel (seems to be a good barrel though), JG bucking, CA hop up chamber, TSD .26 bios, and a SCS.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dlX-ShJnU

Shredder is an incredibly nice and unselfish person, great guy.

If anyone purchases the SCS and is having accuracy issues, PM me.  I don't work for Shredder, but I have experience with diagnosing issues with installation.  Shredder doesn't let anyone work for him (he doesn't trust people to make the SCS), so he answers 1000s of questions and what not all the time.  So if I can't figure it out, I'll forward you to him. ;)

Offline yammie r6s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »
sounds really cool. does anyone have any data on how long they last? i imagine quite a while compared to traditional spacers. good find

Offline stealthmaster14

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
Quote from: "yammie r6s"
sounds really cool. does anyone have any data on how long they last? i imagine quite a while compared to traditional spacers. good find

Basically, they will out last you and I lol.

A regular H nub isn't going to wear out and the SCS is made of a nicer material, so yeah, it will last pretty much forever. :)

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
Quote from: "yammie r6s"

What about this products' design or material composition makes you question it's durability?

I think the shitty asian airsoft gun around it would break or wear out before it did.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
I don't know enough about chemistry to explain the differences between acetal and, say, polystyrene.  Acetal machines well, and has great tolerance.

I don't have any reason for wanting to use it other than the fact that I have access to it, and the capability to mill it.  I could make one of the metal units like you posted as well.  

Regardless, this is a product that improves function, and I applaud it's developer for bringing it to bear.

There's just always a way to improve a design.

Acetal huh? What's your cost like on a 1"x1' of round natural acetal stock.. I need To have some little barrel spacers cut on the lathe.. Would rather not have to buy a mini lathe lol. PM me.

Offline fliptothekick

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
The SCS is AMAZING! I never have fliers ever since I put this in.I recommend this to anyone with an airsoft gun. For a correct install go to gearbox.