Author Topic: Echo1 Red Star AKM  (Read 1559 times)

Offline VTT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
Echo1 Red Star AKM
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
First off I will start off with the Pros and Cons of this gun.

Pros: 1) Good power, range, and accuracy
         2) Weight- not overly heavy. Around 5-7 lbs.
         3) Looks- personal opinion. But I love the looks of this gun.
         4) Magazine size- holds 600 BB's for hi-cap.
         5) Cost- $220 well spent at airsoftgi
         6) Iron sight has adjustable distance
         7) hop up works well.
         8) Overall quality is good. Real wood, full metal.

Cons: 1) The handle is slightly cheesy and can get awkward.
          2) Hop up adjuster is flimsy, but works well. Just be careful with it.
          3) The fire selector becomes loose after some time.
          4) The battery is a pain to get inside to full wood stock. Can only hold up to 9.6V small type.
          5) Attachments are not easily put on this gun. Separate parts will be needed.
          6) FPS is too high for some places that require a limit and .2g BB's. --> not good for CQB

Before buying this gun (the Red Star AKM) I was considering buying the Echo1 mp5. I was advised to get this gun from a friend in California and it was some of the best advice I have followed. This gun gives the perfect mobility and range that I want in an airsoft gun.

I have put no upgrades on this gun and it still shoots like a dream. I was slightly disappointed that I was not able to attach a red dot sight on it; however, the iron sight on this gun works just as well. If you are a person who likes to customize a gun with all sorts of gadgets, this may not be the type of gun for you.

This gun easily shoots in the 400's with .2's and will shoot from 370-390 FPS with .25's. I use .25's for better accuracy and it works like a charm. I also use the stock 8.4V battery just because I had a friend use a 9.6V and it seemed to mess with the gears. I'm not sure if that is because of the battery or not though. Because of the small battery, the rate of fire is average.

The only recommendations I would give for upgrading the AKM would be a tight bore barrel and possibly a 9.6V if you want a fast rate of fire. Also, a new handle would make the looks and feel to this gun truly complete.

The quality of the gun shocked me when it arrived because I still get a grin on my face when I see that real wood (no pun intended). Personally, the fake looking wood never cut it for me. The only low quality piece on this gun is the plastic brown handle. I'll probably replace it one day, but for now I can deal with it.

I've used the AKM several times now in skirmishes and it has improved all my games tremendously. Overall I am very happy with this gun and would give it a rating of 9.5 for performance, and 10 for looks.

I'm sorry, but I do not know the specific details of the inner electrical parts. All I know is that I plan to keep them the same and that they are good. This gun has never let me down and I am convinced it would not let anyone else down. Props to Echo1.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:43:09 PM by VTT »
VTT - Volk Tactical Team.

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Echo1 Red Star AKM
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
i would suggest a line break or two on your next review, so its not so tldr >___>

and remember my friend, FPS isnt everything! ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
see you space cowboy...

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »
Organize this better or it will be deleted. I added a few paragraph breaks but I ain't your mom and this isn't a school paper due tomorrow, I am not going to translate the run-on sentences for people.

You have 5 days.
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline VTT

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
haha my bad guys it's my first review. I'll try to improve it.

Offline VTT

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »
Sorry for only 1 picture, I couldn't figure out how to add others. The quality is kind of iffy as well because I used my phone camera. Its all I have that will upload to my computer.

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:17:32 AM »
alot better then the original one!  :roll:

jw, how long have you owned this particular rifle?
see you space cowboy...

Offline VTT

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
I've owned this gun almost 3 months now. I have owned a Tokyo Marui 74 for a bit over 5 years. The Tokyo Marui is probably built a little better but it is not full metal and does not come close in performance.