Author Topic: Drop Leg Holster  (Read 1476 times)

Offline desert rat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Drop Leg Holster
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »

Offline Arcane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Drop Leg Holster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
It's a BH SERPA knockoff, which is a good design, my preference in holsters.  It's really cheap, so most likely crappy quality, think split seam lines, fragile plastic (which could be a big problems, as this kind of holster tends to get smacked into stuff etc.)  My take - scour ebay or the classifieds for a used genuine SERPA.

Offline Fresnel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sergeant Major
  • Accuracy by Volume
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
My take - scour ebay or the classifieds for a used genuine SERPA.
Also check Allied Surplus, I was in there earlier today and I'm pretty sure I saw at least one drop-leg SERPA for a 1911.

Offline SpiritOfSimo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
What does everyone think of this style of drop leg holster?
http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/holster/drop-leg-holster/cqc-colt-1911-m1911-rh-pistol-paddle-belt-drop-leg-holster-tan

Serpas are convenient and awesome if you find yourself transitioning often, but I don't like drop leg positioning for a pistol. The weight wiggles and bangs around when I sprint, and when I'm prone (which is frequent for a sniper), I find that drop hip holsters are the hardest to get to.

I prefer to orient my Serpa on my vest, on the chest MOLLE, barrel facing left. It's quick to transition, but with the bonus of distributing the pistol's weight evenly across the vest's shoulder straps. Also, it's in a centered position, unlike a hip / drop hip holster, and I can easily get to my pistol when I'm prone or crouched, because my hands are so close to it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:03:54 PM by SpiritOfSimo »

A sheepdog can bite from any distance.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
What does everyone think of this style of drop leg holster?
http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/holster/drop-leg-holster/cqc-colt-1911-m1911-rh-pistol-paddle-belt-drop-leg-holster-tan

Serpas are convenient and awesome if you find yourself transitioning often, but I don't like drop leg positioning for a pistol. The weight wiggles and bangs around when I sprint, and when I'm prone (which is frequent for a sniper), I find that drop hip holsters are the hardest to get to.

I prefer to orient my Serpa on my vest, on the chest MOLLE, barrel facing left. It's quick to transition, but with the bonus of distributing the pistol's weight evenly across the vest's shoulder straps. Also, it's in a centered position, unlike a hip / drop hip holster, and I can easily get to my pistol when I'm prone or crouched, because my hands are so close to it.

This, I have the BH SERPA in that configuration too, I hardly ever use it in drop leg anymore simply because it flops all over the place whenever I run. I also agree in terms of it being much faster to draw vs drawing from the leg. Unless I'm hard up on space on my PC, I'll just leave my SERPA on the front of my setup, it just works much better for me vs. drop leg.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline xTanTricK

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
In my experience drop legs have flopped around and made all kinds of noise when going through rooms. I used my serpa on my belt for awhile and I liked that set up. I recently started using it on my plate carrier and found out it's much easier to draw and reholster and faster to do both of those when on my plate carrier compared to on my belt or a drop leg.
Whiskey One Alpha

Offline theFlyingTrumpet

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
How loose are the straps on all of your drop legs? I have a drop leg and practically don't even know it is there. Doesn't shake around at all. And that's with a metal hi-capa. Just putting some opposing opinions out there.
Mazatzal Security Solutions - MSS Airsoft Team
"Medic! Medic! ......GINGY!!!!"

Offline xTanTricK

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
How loose are the straps on all of your drop legs? I have a drop leg and practically don't even know it is there. Doesn't shake around at all. And that's with a metal hi-capa. Just putting some opposing opinions out there.

Mine was as tight as I could make it. From running around and bending down it just became loose over day. I was always having to tighten it back up. Granted I wasn't using a Black Hawk drop leg panel, I was just using one of those Condor drop legs. It could have been that too. Either way I just don't prefer drop legs anymore.
Whiskey One Alpha

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »

Mine was as tight as I could make it. From running around and bending down it just became loose over day. I was always having to tighten it back up. Granted I wasn't using a Black Hawk drop leg panel, I was just using one of those Condor drop legs. It could have been that too. Either way I just don't prefer drop legs anymore.

I've got an all Blackhawk SERPA setup and it still flops around and gets loose. I'd imagine if we were more rigid and hardly ever bended or twisted they'd stay in place, but yeah, its probably not gonna turn out that way. I'll stick with leaving it on my plate carrier and reap the advantages of a faster draw.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.