Author Topic: Shotgun strictly for home defense  (Read 2959 times)

Offline kernel.panic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Re: Shotgun strictly for home defense
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 06:49:43 PM »
After reading all of this, I personally would go with the taser.
I own MANY real guns and have a few ready for use if needed, but always wonder if I do use it, what will happen to me?
I have a wife to think about now, and I think I may get one of those tasers myself and one for her.

There are too many wacko's out there. And there are too many wacko's that are going to be telling the jury that I should be
put behind bars because I chose ammo that was known in the state of California to cause death to anyone who was shot by it...
I really don't like the idea of being @ss-fragged by a bunch of criminals that I'd rather be shooting at...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
kp

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »
Quote from: "kernel.panic"
I own MANY real guns and have a few ready for use if needed, but always wonder if I do use it, what will happen to me?

You should think about what will happen if you don't.  Problem one- Saving your life. Problem two- everything else.
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline TheCzM

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »
Wow after reading all of this i am well not surprised by anything being said here about the rental cops and the criminals and the inability to protect urself and ur property. Im sorry about the problems u are having deathbydanish, it is very unfortunate, but i am also sorry to say that things will not be resolved anytime soon. Everyone where u live is a target for crime, places like that are always big targets. As u have found out, just because there is a "guard" there patroling doesnt mean a place is safe. One guard is never enough, armed or not. The idea about getting a shotgun to arm and protect urself is a great idea and i would tell u to do it because the guys who have beeing going around breaking car windows, if they get enough courage they will start doing bigger and bigger things. But there is always a problem that u must remember and it has been brought up to a point, the American justise system is a criminal justise system. What i mean by that is it is here to protect the criminal, not the innocent prey, who the criminal violated. Everyday if u read the paper u can see this, and its rather sad. Idk if any of u know this but Obama sometime in his career as a state senator tried to put a man in jail and ruin his whole life because he killed a man. The only problem is, this man is not a criminal, the man was only guilty of protecting his home, and his family and his life from a ruthless man wanting to rape plunder and kill. So Obama was trying to throw this man protecting all of his valuables in his own home, had to kill the criminal(which the world is better off because the man is not on the streets anymore) and now the very liberal (evil) men want to put him in jail for protecting himself. Which pisses off the liberal (obama and others) becasue their idea of government was unable to "protect"(more like control) this man and his family, since he is "incapable" of doing it himself bla bla bla. So ill say that im sorry for everything that is happening to u, and yes BUY BUY BUY a gun to protect urself, but unfortunatly in todays screwed up world there are ppl out there who will not sleep until they put u behind bars for saving ur life, Protecting ur unalianable rights to life liberty and property. I wish u luck that u will not be a attacked again by criminals and hope u never have to use the gun, because frankly u might save ur life but the government, our government who is becoming closer and closer to being controled by evil, blood thirsty, power hungry men will try to take it away to protect the criminal who only they are suppose to defend against not u, and u will inturn lose everything u have or worst. May the worst never come.
"Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord" but He subcontracts.

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »
Quote from: "TheCzM"
Idk if any of u know this but Obama sometime in his career as a state senator tried to put a man in jail and ruin his whole life because he killed a man. The only problem is, this man is not a criminal, the man was only guilty of protecting his home, and his family and his life from a ruthless man wanting to rape plunder and kill. So Obama was trying to throw this man protecting all of his valuables in his own home, had to kill the criminal(which the world is better off because the man is not on the streets anymore) and now the very liberal (evil) men want to put him in jail for protecting himself. Which pisses off the liberal (obama and others) becasue their idea of government was unable to "protect"(more like control) this man and his family, since he is "incapable" of doing it himself bla bla bla.

Got a reference for this banter? "IDK if any of u know this" kind of stuff needs a link, this ain't no place for backwoods hearsay.

NObama
Carry a pen so you can draw an N on every poster and sticker you see.

Back on topic, I am making a effort to lock up all the little expensive things(gps, camera, ipod) that I sometimes leave lying around. I know that keeping nothing of value in your vehicle isn't a guarantee, but it will help. My father always says "dung attracts flies", leaving shit out will get noticed.
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline TheCzM

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
I would but its in an NRA mag and then the paper in my town, it was like the friday or saturday paper. the name of the paper is The Dispatch. i remember reading it and until that moment did not know about it. also the paper talked about the supreme court ruling taking away the death penalty for raping children, but ya this is were i got this infor from. im not good enough to make that crap up. but ya thats where i got it.
"Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord" but He subcontracts.

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »
Score one for the good guys...

HOUSTON - Ever since he fatally shot two men he suspected of burglarizing his next-door neighbor's home, 62-year-old Joe Horn has been both praised and vilified for his actions.

Horn called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a shotgun and was going to kill the intruders. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but a defiant Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.

Some community activists wanted Horn to face charges for the deaths. Supporters of the retired grandfather said what he did was justified under the law.

After listening to evidence in the case, including testimony from Horn himself, a grand jury on Monday cleared him of the shootings.

"He wasn't acting like a vigilante. He didn't want to do it," said Tom Lambright, Horn's attorney.

Lambright said Horn was not a "wild cowboy" who took the law into his own hands after he saw the two suspected burglars, with bags in hand, crawling out of windows from his neighbor's home on Nov. 14 in the Houston suburb of Pasadena. The neighbor was out of town at the time.

Instead, Horn was a frightened retiree who tried to defend his neighbor's property and when the two men came onto his yard and threatened him, Horn defended himself, Lambright said.

"He was scared. He was in fear of his life," he said.

Grand jurors had to consider two issues in the case: the intentional killing of another person and whether the killing was justified either by self-defense or the defense of property, Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson told reporters.

"I understand the concerns of some in the community regarding Mr. Horn's conduct," Magidson said. "The grand jury concluded that Mr. Horn's use of deadly force did not rise to a criminal offense."

Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves if it is reasonable to believe they are in mortal danger. In limited circumstances, people also can use deadly force to protect their neighbor's property; for example, if a homeowner asks a neighbor to watch over his property while he's out of town. It's not clear whether the neighbor whose home was burglarized asked Horn to watch over his house.

Frank Ortiz, a member of the local League of United Latin American Citizens chapter, said he hopes federal authorities investigate the case further.

"That's amazing that they would no-bill him with so much evidence against him," Ortiz told the Houston Chronicle in Monday's online edition. "This was no more than a vigilante."

Horn did not speak with reporters on Monday.

A large red sign with the words "No Trespass" on it blocked the path to his front door and a handwritten sign on the door said "Please no media," "No Trespassing" and "Do not knock or ring bell." A couple of neighbors also had signs on their doors asking media to leave them alone.

A few police cars patrolled the area near Horn's home.

The two suspected burglars, Hernando Riascos Torres, 38, and Diego Ortiz, 30, were unemployed illegal immigrants from Colombia. Torres was deported to Colombia in 1999 after a 1994 cocaine-related conviction.

The city of Pasadena, where protesters and defenders of Horn engaged in counter-demonstrations, pledged to keep its police force staffed enough to protect its citizens.

Keith Hampton, a Houston attorney not connected with the case, said he didn't expect Horn to be indicted. "This is a real conservative county," he said. "A lot of folks in Houston and Harris County are saying this man was doing a good thing."

In the 911 call, a dispatcher urges Horn to stay inside his house and not risk lives.

"Don't go outside the house," the 911 operator pleaded. "You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun. I don't care what you think."

"You want to make a bet?" Horn answered. "I'm going to kill them."

After the shooting, he redialed 911.

"I had no choice," he said, his voice shaking. "They came in the front yard with me, man. I had no choice. Get somebody over here quick."

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »
Since when has a "paper" been an unbiased reliable source of facts ????  And I am generally pro-NRA but they are biased as well in their publications.

The real demise of our constitutional rights isn't the government - its the failure of our society to obtain a correct education on the nature and process of constitutional law.  In otherwords, Ricky Bobby didnt form his assbackwards opinions on is own, they came from Uncle Daddy or some other vocal source.

A syllogism is only as valid as its underlying premises.  

But there is no mistake about what the Second Amendment means now in this Country and because of a little thing called stare decisis that isnt going to change because Obama may or may not appoint someone to the Supreme Court.  Remember that Justices are lawyers and once they are in there is nothing that can remove them so they have no strings attached to the government conspiracies.

Anyway, take a fuckking writing class or something....

Quote from: "TheCzM"
I would but its in an NRA mag and then the paper in my town, it was like the friday or saturday paper. the name of the paper is The Dispatch. i remember reading it and until that moment did not know about it. also the paper talked about the supreme court ruling taking away the death penalty for raping children, but ya this is were i got this infor from. im not good enough to make that crap up. but ya thats where i got it.

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »
Well something interesting happened today as I stopped by the office to drop off my rent check. I had a discussion with some of the people who worked there, they are already trying to get a neighborhood watch going as well as trying to some off-duty Phoenix PD to patrol the grounds. They are also looking for a new security company to patrol the grounds as well. When I told them that my car got broken into over the weekend they were surprised that I wasn't more upset about it. Without me even asking they flat out said that you can have a firearm in your apartment, and if it turns into a case of him or me, that they suggest doing whatever is necessary to protect yourself.

Just as I walked out I saw four Phoenix police officers walk into the office to get the details of a break-in at one of the units.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline kernel.panic

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
oh, man!
why don't you just move!

I have a home for rent if you are interested.
4 bedroom 2 bath!
kp

Offline deathbydanish

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
Thanks, but I'm good, I think I should be more responsible for my own safety now.
Saguaro Airsoft Team

The quietest move is the most efficient one.

Offline AddoAduro

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:25 AM »
If you're seriously considering a shotgun, I've got a Benelli pump I'm looking to sell. :)
Quote from: \"XavierMace\"
Every day I have to wade through mountains of stupid posts on forums by kids who feel it necessary to share their personal life on the internet like they think we care.

Offline Doc Hollywood

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:38 AM »
By way of example of what NOT to do ....

(Arizona Republic reporting on a Phoenix Shooting)

One man was in custody Thursday morning after police believe the man fired a gun several times at a pickup truck containing three people, including a 3-year-old girl.

The armed man believed his stereo was stolen by the people in the truck.

The three victims were in the pickup truck driving in a neighborhood near 43rd Avenue and Bethany Home Road shortly after midnight. The driver noticed someone in a Chevrolet Suburban was following them.  The driver of the truck called police and remained on the line with dispatchers while continuing down Glendale Avenue, Detective Reuben Gonzales of the Phoenix Police Department said..

When the pickup truck got near Seventh and Northern avenues, the armed man fired his gun and the driver of the pickup said he could tell his truck had been hit.

The driver of the Suburban stopped chasing the pickup. The victims went to a nearby gas station, where police met them and got information about the suspect's vehicle.

Officers who had heard the vehicle's description over the police radio spotted the Suburban and began following it.

The officers stopped the Suburban and found that [sic] the driver inside. He was wearing only boxer shorts and matched the shooting suspect's descriptions.

The shooting suspect was taken back to the scene where he was identified by the victims.

The suspect told police he followed the pickup truck because his car had just been burglarized and his stereo stolen. He believed the people in the pickup truck were the suspects of the suspected burglary.

"He should have called police," Gonzales said of the shooting suspect. "He could have followed it and got a plate number of the pickup truck to give to us. But you can't just shoot at a vehicle like that."

There were three bullet holes to the passenger side of the bed of the truck and one flat tire.

No one was struck or injured in the shooting. The suspect was booked in connection with three counts of aggravated assault, Gonzales said.

Sentence range with a plea bargain will be 7 1/2 to 25 years in prison unless they charge him with attempted second degree murder.

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
No property is worth killing anybody over.

A couple of scenarios:

1) You shoot the person; he dies, you go to jail and be somebody's bitch

2) You shoot the person he lives, you go to jail and be somebody's bitch and he sues you

3) You shoot the person, he dies, you go to jail and be somebody's bitch and his family sues you

4) You shoot the person, he doesn't die and you don't got to jail and he still sues you

5) You the shoot the person, he does die, you don't go to jail and his family still sues you.

News flash!! THIS IS REALITY!!! NOT THE FUCKING MOVIES!!!

Welcome to adulthood, some punks stole some of your stuff and now you want to kill them.  It ain't going to happen, go to the range, talk all the sh1t you want and shoot some targets.  You aren't going to do anything about it.  

Best bet, buy an alarm, a dog, and form a neighborhood watch.  You won't get arrested for any of these things.

I Understand you are emotional and upset about what happened.  It's over move on with life.  Curse them, pray for them, etc.  But..... if you think you are going to buy a gun and shoot the next person that steals your property and get away with it then move to Texas where it's legal.  Else you just posted on the Internet that you want to buy a gun and kill the next theif.  If I was on the jury, I'd find you guilty.

Something to think about the next time you post about buying a gun and wanting to defend yourself (i.e. get a little revenge)

P.S. Before people start talking sh1t about how they hate what I wrote, I believe in the right to protect yourself and your property; the difference is I think about the ramifications before I'd pull the trigger like any other adult.

I'd be the first to tell you if it is him or you, shoot him!  If it's him or your car or radio.... GUILTY YOUR HONOR!!!

Something to think about before you buy a gun, in my opinion you aren't mature enough to own one yet.

Offline Maestro

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »
um, wow

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
Ya'll need to stop typing such long posts.  Seriously, who has the time to read that?

So far, this topic sickitates me.  

Raith said it.  Worry about your life.  I'll add to worry about the life of your family just as well, although I'm sure he implied it.

When you guys are in the situation, I hope for your sake that your thoughts of legal repercussions come secondary.