Author Topic: Is it worth it to switch to Lipo  (Read 3419 times)

Offline paulschoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • FNG
    • View Profile
Is it worth it to switch to Lipo
« on: June 08, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
I have A few AEG's that im considering putting a mosfet into them so I car run Lipo's. is this something worth doing?

Offline Zanurath

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it to switch to Lipo
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Yes, you can even put them on AEGs with no fet (7.4 only) they do better with outside temp changes and they have higher amperage (better trigger response). only downside is they can be ruined if drained too low and are more dangerous if you do something stupid. I have 2 9.6 batteries I still use because they are old and refuse to die but I never purchase new ones either getting high maH/C rating 7.4s or good 11.1s (with a good mosfet).

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
All airsoft guns are "lipo ready"....Step 1, install lipo.  Step 2 you are done.

A Mosfet is not required to run a lipo.  With any battery type I would highly recommend replacing the Tamiya connector with a higher amp rated connector. The Tamiya connectors are only 10 amps and if your gun draws more than 10 amps the connector will get warm and can melt. I've experienced this twice and replaced my systems with deans connectors (50 amps) and never had any issues.   

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline paulschoon

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:40:19 PM »
Thanks for the feed back, it seams straight forward enough.

Offline MaxtheNinja

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »
Yeah, you can run a lipo in any gun without a mosfet, a mosfet is just more of a security protocol than anything. It will regulate the amperage coming in and prevent the battery from being too powerful for the gun. I'd recommend to start with a 7.4, as they are pretty similar to a 9.6 is terms of amperage, but give much better trigger response. A 11.1 can cause issues, in my VFC vr16 avalon when using an 11.1 on semi auto my gun will shoot twice because the voltage that the battery gives per trigger pull is too much, and it spins the gears around twice. A mosftet would fix that, so I'd recommend getting a mosfet if you're going to run a lipo, but you don't have to.

Offline paulschoon

• FNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that. You said the avalon? I'm actually looking at getting one, where did you get yours?

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
I run all my guns without mosfets and the only problem I've encountered is having to replace the trigger contact switch due to the extra voltage.  This is a normal wear item with any battery.   I just upgraded my contacts with a stronger copper material and that has stopped the contact from burning out after a year of moderate to hard use. A basic mosfet is a much better design to take the amp load in lieu of your standard trigger connection. Yeah a basic mosfet will eliminate you burning out your trigger contact over time, or you replace the contacts depending on your use.   

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline MaxtheNinja

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
Oh, I didn't know that. You said the avalon? I'm actually looking at getting one, where did you get yours?

Oh, that's cool! I got mine from Modern Airsoft (https://modernairsoft.com/collections/vfc-avalon-vr16) since they give a free mystery gift with every order, and they have better customer service than evike imo.