Author Topic: Has there been any large scale milsim or combatsim in AZ?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Ghost Operators

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Has there been any large scale milsim or combatsim in AZ?
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I was wondering if there has ever been any large scale airsoft milsim or combatsim operations, like Lion Claws?
And if there never has been why hasn't anyone ever tried too, I think it would be cool to have something like Operations Irene or something.
Just wondering?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
Re: Has there been any large scale milsim or combatsim in AZ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
Quote from: "Ghost Operators"
I was wondering if there has ever been any large scale airsoft milsim or combatsim operations, like Lion Claws?
And if there never has been why hasn't anyone ever tried too, I think it would be cool to have something like Operations Irene or something.
Just wondering?

The games at Camp Navajo have been the largest I know of.  

There might not ever be a game that draws a crowd like Lion Claws, considering John Lu's bread and butter is marketing, but there will be national-level games again in AZ in the future.

Offline Ghillieman

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
I'm working on my first Milsim operation right now. It's not big now but I'm hoping to make it something that will draw a crowd. As far as being on par with Lion's Claw, give me a decade or so :lol:
I\'m a lead farmer

Offline Ghost Operators

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"

but there will be national-level games again in AZ in the future.

That would be awesome, any thoughts on how this could be done? just asking.

Offline dismount

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
If everyone one here elect a small committee we could put together a huge arizona wide milsim in a centeral location and make an epic event here in arizona. Obviously that is easier said than done but not impossible people just have to be willing to work together for the greater good of airsoft in arizona. It could be a one year thing here. just a thought
Airsoft is fun, but not as fun as the real thing, INFANTRY for life.......3 tours in Iraq and still kickin

Offline D.RICH.1

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
Quote from: "dismount"
If everyone one here elect a small committee we could put together a huge arizona wide milsim in a centeral location and make an epic event here in arizona. Obviously that is easier said than done but not impossible people just have to be willing to work together for the greater good of airsoft in arizona. It could be a one year thing here. just a thought

thats what i was wanting and would love for something on that scale to come to arizona or be started in arizona that become a national event with hundreds of ppl from arond the country playing here...a small arizona airsoft committee would probly be the best bet for that to happen....work with mike from mtt and gearbox and something of that scale should be do able...ive already talked to mike about big scale milsims and he even has some plans i will not disclose but should be fun as well... :twisted:
[size=150]----------------------------------------------------------------[/size][/color]

http://www.steelworksairsoft.com
http://www.vipairsoft.net/

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
Quote from: "dismount"

We have a small committee that has been working on this for a long time. The biggest obstacle is finding a place to do it. Large scale events require a large space of land and that means, permits or permission from private acreage. Most private places require insurance for large events. Most of us are either too busy or too poor or both to set this up. Logistics for this kind of thing is a major headache and undoubtedly you will loose friends in the process because not everyone can have things how they want.
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Quote from: "D.RICH.1"
ive already talked to mike about big scale milsims and he even has some plans i will not disclose but should be fun as well... :twisted:

Large scale? Probably not, if he can't sell out a normal game.

Fun? Nah, I've played his larger games when he was relevant and had a good reputation; they were average at best.

Addressing the original post; the obstacle, as Ganef said, is a suitable location. The Combat Challenge OPs at Camp Navajo were great; and the high-level competition was second-to-none.

When the player base would support it, the monthly AA games in 06, 07 were fairly 'large scale'. I think we had like, 90 people at a couple of them. That's pretty damn big for everything outside of OPLC events.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline HWG-Victor

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:45:23 AM »
BTW - Before you go criticizing a person's capabilities other than your own, consider what you say.  The largest event Mike has put together was Red Dawn, with 105 participants, most of them paying customers, at the old Southwest Paintball Headquarters. He worked with Gearbox (Jungle Toy at the time), Arizona Paintball Depot, and countless of others who volunteered time and resources to make a large scale game like this happen in Arizona. Now I'm not saying Mike should be responsible for making a large scale games in Arizona, but before you go criticizing other peoples suggestions without being constructive, and making a better solution, just say nothing at all. Let those who want to talk about making a large game happen brain storm and come up with viable ideas. Don't bring them down with your negativity. It's ugly. But don't worry. That's why I'm here to patch things up and show you what real ugly can look like. Below is a list of the games and events Mike has put on over the last three years at the MTT UAC and few other locations. Most of the participants are paid participants, which is a lot harder to achieve compared to the free events that AA puts on.

Feb 2010      Left 4 Dead

Jan 2010      Open Games      

Jan 2010      Black Hawk Down

Dec 2009      Rise of the Insurgents      

Nov 2009      Confrontation 09      

Oct 2009      Resident Evil: Armageddon         

Sep 2009      Marauders Training Challenge         

July 2009      Operation: Blackout      

May 2009      Operation: West Wing         

Apr 2009      MTT Big Game         

Feb 2009      Resident Evil      

Jan 2009      MTT Big Game         

Dec 2008      Raiders of the Dead Man's Chest      

Sep 2008      SPEC OP Adventure      

Aug 2008      Operation: Blackout         

Operation: Blood Money    

Jun 2008 Marauders Training Challenge

19 Apr 2008 Appleseed Program

Apr 2008 Open Games

Mar 2008 Operation: West Wing

Jan 2008

Operation: West Wing

Dec 2007 Airsoft Boot Camp

Now that's what I call a consistent track record, considering he puts on most of these events at a location that's an hour or more drive for most people for a game they never played, or on a field they've never seen, and have to shell out $10 to $40 to participate in.  Now here's where you respond with a list of games or events you've put together with substantial proof to back it up. You know dates, locations, player count, etc.... I eagerly await your response.

But who needs a committee? To put something grand on, you need a dictator. I nominate Vince. Clearly a man of vision and leadership. Hail to the Chimp!

Offline Marauders Airsoft

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marauders.us
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
Let's not turn this thread into a flame war.  While I appreciate MTT Victor's support of MTT events (his company owns the land that the Urban Assault Course is located on and is related to me) I should encourage everyone to work towards building the sport up in the direction they want.

Some players like fast paced action, while others enjoy a slower paced military simulation event.  Instead of arguing who has done what or who will do what, put together some written proposals and share them with key members of the airsoft community.

As an event organizer, I have learned that until you put something in writing and submit it to sponsors or land owners, major events won't happen (creating a thread on a public forum is not the same as creating a proposal).

For those interested in setting up their own events, here is some information about using the Urban Assault Course (UAC).

The UAC is 40 acres of desert terrain with washes, mock buildings, and vehicles.
The current design and size can accommodate events of up to 125 participants.
Camping is allowed on property.
The daily rental rate of the property for an event is $300.
All participants must complete a PISG/MTT waiver to participate in any activities.

Our staff can also help coordinate offsite events at private venues if necessary.  Our team has set up successful relationships with paintball fields and private businesses in the past.

For any questions about organizing or hosting an event, please email MTTStaff@gmail.com
This account posts events held by Marauders Tactical Training and Havoc War Games.  Visit www.Marauders.us for more information.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:29:02 AM »
Quote from: "MTT-Victor"
Now here's where you respond with a list of games or events you've put together with substantial proof to back it up. You know dates, locations, player count, etc.... I eagerly await your response.
!

I'll just refer you to monthly AA games when they were held; held on fields that are an hour or more drive for people, fields that some people had never been to before.

The issue with planning a large milsim at the current time is not only finding a suitable AO, but the economy; a lot of people are broke. There have also been an unseasonably high number of ops in California which has kept the calendar reasonably full.

Why you so mad, though?

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline D.RICH.1

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
Quote from: "Marauders Airsoft"
Let's not turn this thread into a flame war.  While I appreciate MTT Victor's support of MTT events (his company owns the land that the Urban Assault Course is located on and is related to me) I should encourage everyone to work towards building the sport up in the direction they want.

Some players like fast paced action, while others enjoy a slower paced military simulation event.  Instead of arguing who has done what or who will do what, put together some written proposals and share them with key members of the airsoft community.

As an event organizer, I have learned that until you put something in writing and submit it to sponsors or land owners, major events won't happen (creating a thread on a public forum is not the same as creating a proposal).

For those interested in setting up their own events, here is some information about using the Urban Assault Course (UAC).

The UAC is 40 acres of desert terrain with washes, mock buildings, and vehicles.
The current design and size can accommodate events of up to 125 participants.
Camping is allowed on property.
The daily rental rate of the property for an event is $300.
All participants must complete a PISG/MTT waiver to participate in any activities.

Our staff can also help coordinate offsite events at private venues if necessary.  Our team has set up successful relationships with paintball fields and private businesses in the past.

For any questions about organizing or hosting an event, please email MTTStaff@gmail.com

sounds good mike...$300 isnt bad at all to rent out the uac field for the day...i might be getting a hold of you about some games me and the team im on wants to do out there on your field... 8)
[size=150]----------------------------------------------------------------[/size][/color]

Offline fourwheeltrooperguy

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »
I would be willing to work with other leaders to organize an event. I have been pretty successful with Rebel Union. Our bbq games are my shining example of that.

bbq 1-60
bbq 2-64
bbq 3-87
bbq 4-72
bbq 5 we are expecting around 70.

And we have been able to operate these events with minimal crew and all have run smoothly.
I think that a cooperative effort could result in a great large scale event.
if it bleeds, we can kill it

Offline D.RICH.1

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Quote from: "fourwheeltrooperguy"
I would be willing to work with other leaders to organize an event. I have been pretty successful with Rebel Union. Our bbq games are my shining example of that.

bbq 1-60
bbq 2-64
bbq 3-87
bbq 4-72
bbq 5 we are expecting around 70.

And we have been able to operate these events with minimal crew and all have run smoothly.
I think that a cooperative effort could result in a great large scale event.

give me a pm jacob and we can get something going...