Author Topic: Ghillie suit  (Read 1641 times)

Offline VTT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
Ghillie suit
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:01:24 AM »
I am considering buying a ghillie suit but there are two options. 1) Buy a pre-made ghillie suit or 2) buy a kit that comes with everything needed to make it. I've heard it's pretty easy to make but I am wondering if the quality is as good. Just tell me your opinions on what you think is better.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
VTT - Volk Tactical Team.

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
Re: Ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
Making your own will take time and may end up bulkier than you want, but it will save you money. Pre-made ones are either costly or silly looking.

A light poncho type ghillie works well for airsoft. The games are so fast paced that in a larger suit you tend to look like a wookie running around the field more than you get to sit and stalk. Also big thick ghillies make it harder to feel hits.

Here are some good reads.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22384&hilit=ghillie

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23101&hilit=ghillie

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22007&hilit=ghillie
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline Rogue Fox

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • First Lieutenant
  • 6CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »
+1 on the poncho/stalker type of ghillie.

I personally like the kit I bought, its a long and boring process to put it together though.

If you do end up getting a kit, or premade suit I would supplement it with natural foliage.

Also, just a hat/hood works well too, since most of the time[for me anyway] its a persons head that gives them away.

When the shit hits the fan, dont be in front of the fan.

Offline carbon14c

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
another route, is to either buy/construct a "blanket" or "tarp" type concealment

that's what me and my brother use, i carry the ranged weapon and he uses the SMG, between the two of us we can usually keep our bases covered. the tarp works well because you just throw it over you and your weapon and you have instant concealment. then when you are on the move again, just roll it up and throw it in your bag.

of course this is all dependent on your loadout, if you are a high-speed low-drag type guy then this wouldnt work for you since you would be spending alot of time on the ground.

another upside to a tarp type concealment is that if you need COMPLETE coverage, you can just pull it up over the end of the barrel and yourself, then you should be safe from quick glances.

of course this works best in environments that have alot of vegetation, supplementing real foliage like rogue fox suggested is a very good idea as well
see you space cowboy...

Offline VTT

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions. These are good ideas. I think I may hold off on the ghillie for now and upgrade my gun for longer distance first.

Offline trystosell

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
if you decide to come back to the ghillie idea check out this video on how to make your own for a nice price

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5oBz-Po5fE

Offline VTT

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
haha thats an awesome ghillie suit. Unfortunately I don't have the time to make something like that though :/ I've decided to keep my gun stock since it is pretty damn good and just keep the DCU and ACU that I already have. I'm going to use the money I have to buy a paintball gun and start paintballing as well as airsoft.

Offline trystosell

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:42 AM »
good way to go if your not looking to spend to much money i have a friend who is selling his used blue invert mini for $250

Offline hendersen

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
after reading your post i might be able to help i am in the proses of trying to sell one of mine fell free to contact me
it has been proven in history that for a group to survive its government must be over thrown from time to time. my fear is that this will come to our lands way to soon.

Frank Herbert   1972

Offline Kodiak

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
I'll second that hood recommendation. My jacket has a hood on it, and it works better than you'd expect.

Offline Ghillieman

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
I have a ghillie suit, imagine that. I have used it in a couple of games and I'll say that unless you are guarding an objective they aren't really practical. If you want some sort of "uber camo" go with a bushrag. It's versatile and allows you to move well. The down side is access to your extra ammo and other gear.
I\'m a lead farmer

Offline Pick

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »
Quote from: "Ghillieman"
I have a ghillie suit, imagine that. I have used it in a couple of games and I'll say that unless you are guarding an objective they aren't really practical. If you want some sort of "uber camo" go with a bushrag. It's versatile and allows you to move well. The down side is access to your extra ammo and other gear.

No Way!!!!!! Ghilleman has a Ghillie Suit how are such things possible in this world? [-o<

on a serious note, i agree with him the suits are good if your sitting stationary somewhere for a while. In most cases my MarPat woodlands fit in most places and hardly get hit
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu