Author Topic: AO section  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Kileyhaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • View Profile
AO section
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
So... been digging around lightly as time permits at work trying to find AOs in and around the Phoenix area and I am having a tough time finding them.  Seems many of them are privately arranged or far to public for a 'responsible' pickup game organization...

My suggestion is to create a AO section of the forum with directions and info on any AOs in the area that either have pre-arranged permissions for airsoft play or need no permission.  We have something similar to this on TAC in this section:
http://www.tucsoncoalition.com/modules. ... forum&f=51

Ideally, I'd like (or anyone for that matter) to be able to look at a list of AOs, pick one, then setup a game and not be at the mercy of these backyard pickup games that some of the younger crowd throw.  I understand if these AOs are by invite only or are obscured to keep unwanted 'guests' from playing on them, if thats the case let me know.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kileyhaz »
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn\'t thinking"

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:58:46 PM »
I think this is a good idea.

The problem is just as you stated, "many of them are privately arranged or far to public for a 'responsible' pickup game organization..."  Also, sometimes the AOs will be gated and locked.  

If someone wants to take the time to make a non-discussion, info-only AO thread, I'll make it Sticky.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but that wouldn't be a problem if we just didn't allow the "younger" crowd on here.  At the least you should be able to create a group containing the "older" crowd and restrict access to the topic based on group.  That would solve the problem of unwanted people viewing the thread.

Just add people to the group as needed on a per request basis.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »

Offline djmtott

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:06:10 PM »
Quote from: "XavierMace"
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but that wouldn't be a problem if we just didn't allow the "younger" crowd on here.  At the least you should be able to create a group containing the "older" crowd and restrict access to the topic based on group.  That would solve the problem of unwanted people viewing the thread.

Just add people to the group as needed on a per request basis.
The "older" crowd being people over 30, right?

Some of the younger players show just as much or more maturity than some of the older guys. There's no miraculous event that matures a person on their 18th birthday.

Just had to add that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by djmtott »
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother f****r in the valley!"

Offline OCHO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
I agree with djmtott, but on the flip side there brings into play liability, and legality.  Without waivers, or the ability to purchase these "toys" on their own, it could bring up a mess that some people do not wish to deal with.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by OCHO »
Team Saguaro---Tango 1

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won\'t---Patton.

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38:08 PM »
Some of the younger players show just as much or more maturity than some of the older guys. There's no miraculous event that matures a person on their 18th birthday.

This was the same counter point that gets brought up every time.  It still hasn't become any better of a counter point.

No, theirs no miraculous switch.  However, I have yet to play with somebody under 15 that demonstrated even the slightest maturity and or common sense.  I have played with a few 16-17 year olds I would not have a problem playing with again.  The number of 18+ that I have had that problem with is very slim.

But, I wasn't referring to just the maturity level either.  As we have seen, the media is starting to come after airsoft again and very little good can come from it.  As stated in another thread, Pima County Sheriffs showed up at SASCO recently.  I really don't want to know what had happened if it was a group of 13-15 year olds.

Plus some of the places we play at hinge upon not trashing the place.  Older people are more likely to make sure that happens.  While yes there are some minors that have shown themselves over the years to be mature and respectable players, the majority of them aren't.  But since they cannot be legally held responsible for their immaturity they need to be left out.

It's a lot easier to take care of one older person in the group thats an issue than a whole group of immature minors.  I really don't want to go out to SASCO (or any other AO) and find out that a group of kids got us banned from there.  I'm sorry for those minors who are the exception to that rule, but the Marauders made up my mind on minors and airsoft years ago.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by XavierMace »

Offline morugatu

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:49:12 PM »
Quote from: "OCHO"
I agree with djmtott, but on the flip side there brings into play liability, and legality.  Without waivers, or the ability to purchase these "toys" on their own, it could bring up a mess that some people do not wish to deal with.

See, now I myself as a minor realize such consequences could happen from us playing along side adult airsofters, and I personally would not mind not being allowed to an event based on that or even the fact that many people find it awkward playing along side players almost half their age, if not more.

However, when someone simply assumes that since I'm a minor, I am automatically an immature player who has no concern for the community and is completely ignorant of others opinions does get on my nerves.  I do realize though, this would not be given to us minors if it hadn't been for a good number of other irresponsible a teens to us earn this sterotype.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by morugatu »
Name: Alex
Replicas: HFC USR 11 (PDI 240 setup), ICS L85A2 (sp120 setup), ICS Colt M4 (390fps), KJW 1911 Tactical, CA M14 (M120), and CYMA Mp5k (M120)

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:04 PM »
This is NOT a discussion about age.

If you want an AO section, cool.  There is too much involved in creating a restricted forum just to keep minors out.  Then, who's saying kids just won't lie about their age when registering?

Any further discussion about age in THIS thread will be clipped.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »
I did at one time post a reply to one of Lasivians (sp?) topics about AO maps and such.  Can't seem to find it now though.  I listed all the AOs I have ever been to.  If it is so desired I can do it again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline Kileyhaz

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 06:42:52 AM »
Thanks azsarge, not the time or place for that battle, fact remains we have a diverse group so we need to work with what we have and move on.

Quote from: "Airsofter1"
I did at one time post a reply to one of Lasivians (sp?) topics about AO maps and such.  Can't seem to find it now though.  I listed all the AOs I have ever been to.  If it is so desired I can do it again.

Airsofter1, I Suspect that might be a good start, once I start visiting the local venues in the area I have no problem cataloging them as I have done on TAC (Assuming of course they don't fall into the above bucket of being a private arrangement or a field thats by invite only to keep 'uninvited' folks out).  

I'm guessing that if we dont want to open a whole subforum about it that a pinned thread thats neatly manicured in the Local Games RSVP section or General airsoft game section would be the best place for a single thread.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Kileyhaz »
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn\'t thinking"

Offline CipherBlue

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Desert Hawks
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
I could easily set AA up with a feild or two out in the West Valley that i have frequented in my youth. Yet i think for many of you on the east side it would still be a decent drive length. the open permissions shouldn't be to hard i know most of the old bastards that own the lands.
Quote from: "Kileyhaz"
(Assuming of course they don't fall into the above bucket of being a private arrangement or a field thats by invite only to keep 'uninvited' folks out).

i would have to say the best way to combat this issues would be to make the The sections in the forums to view the games only post able to the moderators and viewable by all. this Way trusted moderaters could confirm the given issues with the site before posting them for open rampage to the masses.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by CipherBlue »
"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." ~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline Venom21

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/diadeloscalaveras818
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »
I support this idea ;) So I'm signing. Would be nice to have a section like this with threads showing Airsoft playing local allowing others to post what they think about the area. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Venom21 »

Offline SILENToc714

• Private
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/silentbp13
me too
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:47:56 PM »
i concur with ur oppinion and i to would like to sign let me know how
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by SILENToc714 »
silent 13

myspace.com/silentbp13