Author Topic: Newbie & Stupid Questions forum  (Read 5408 times)

Offline Lasivian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Newbie & Stupid Questions forum
« on: June 02, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »
It stands to reason that people don't bother searching or can't find what they want from searching, so why not set aside a forum for just those questions, they might get answered, they might not. But at least everyone would know what to expect there.

*shrug*
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Lasivian »

Offline PHX COBRA

• Captain
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
I found plenty of info/opinions on AUGs just now by searching "AUG" in the search function.  The info is out there, you just need to do some reading.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PHX COBRA »

Offline GUNFIGHTER6

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 10:59:22 AM »
This is not the first forum that I have been a member of, and I understand that repeat questions can be bothersome, but why are people on this site so anti social to newbies?  Isn't the idea of a forum to exchange ideas?  So what if someone starts a new thread on a topic that has been discussed before.  Maybe rehashing the idea will shed new light on it?  You say that they should run a search before asking questions, but how much information would they have to filter through to find what they need?  I really think people should lighten up a little.  If you see a topic that has been discussed before, and your not interested don't read it.  

GUNFIGHTER6 OUT
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by GUNFIGHTER6 »

1st Special Operations Rapid Deployment Company - Airsoft Team

Offline Ghostsequel

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 11:35:11 PM »
Quote from: "GUNFIGHTER6"
This is not the first forum that I have been a member of, and I understand that repeat questions can be bothersome, but why are people on this site so anti social to newbies?  Isn't the idea of a forum to exchange ideas?  So what if someone starts a new thread on a topic that has been discussed before.  Maybe rehashing the idea will shed new light on it?  You say that they should run a search before asking questions, but how much information would they have to filter through to find what they need?  I really think people should lighten up a little.  If you see a topic that has been discussed before, and your not interested don't read it.  

GUNFIGHTER6 OUT

I have noticed here that there are quite a few people who are great to newbies and really help 'em out, and I've noticed there are some guys who think they're the coolest thing since sliced bread and hate newbies.  And I think you have a good point as far as rehashing a topic can shed some new light on it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ghostsequel »

Offline pythonline

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
Quote from: "Ghostsequel"
I have noticed here that there are quite a few people who are great to newbies and really help 'em out, and I've noticed there are some guys who think they're the coolest thing since sliced bread and hate newbies.  And I think you have a good point as far as rehashing a topic can shed some new light on it.

So true, and its so fun when you hit one of those big headed guys square between the eyes.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by pythonline »
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 07:54:12 PM »
I cant speak for everyone, but when I was new I realized that this forum had been around for several years prior.  So I knew that many topics should have been discussed and hence I choose to use the search feature. I didnt have to search through tons of threads, I just narrowed my search criteria. And Granted once I found those related topics, I may still had questions. So then that would be a good time to ask. When I do ask, I would show that I have searched the subject some what. To me there is nothing worse than someone who is constantly lazy and doesnt take the time to try to find answers to their own questions.  Dont know about others but when I answer questions I try to do some research to make sure that I am pretty confident that my information I am giving is correct. I dont know about you but when someone asks "What gun should I get? Or What gun is better?", to me that is asking me to do the work for them.  I am very eager to help someone if I can.  But why should i put in effort to answer a question for someone who doesnt care enough to do some research on it?   To me there is a big difference about asking a specific question that is a good question, compared to those general questions that can be found in about 30 threads on this site.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »
To add to Ryan, I think that when you do your own reaserch, asking the guys at JT and searching the threads you tend to answer a more important question. "why the gun you bought is good for you." You should in the first few months on the board do a search first before you post any new threads and I am not just talking about on these forumns, google search it, hit it on airsoft players.net and a few other sites before you ask it. If it is something specific about the organization then pm someone who is "in the know". Sure it is fun to go around "pwning" everyone you meet but it makes for an unpleasant community, and that is what we have and are trying to maintain. Come out to a game, ask if someone has a rental, meet us face to face (look for me at games I have ganef on my gear) and I hope we can all get along.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."

Offline frostbite

• FNG
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 12:53:06 PM »
What the heck is all this. I cant create a topic becuase I dont have enough posts?!? thats gay. You guys need to change that. Thats so stupid.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by frostbite »

Offline Bullseye

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 02:56:19 PM »
This is not the first forum that I have been a member of, and I understand that repeat questions can be bothersome, but why are people on this site so anti social to newbies?  
GUNFIGHTER6 OUT

Quote from: "frostbite"
What the heck is all this. I cant create a topic becuase I dont have enough posts?!? thats gay. You guys need to change that. Thats so stupid.

'nuff said.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Bullseye »
Field Cmdr, Fatal Exception

He who dies with the most toys...
... is still dead. http://www.tucsoncoalition.com http://www.teamfe0.com

Offline chainsaw

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://amsog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 03:03:17 PM »

It's pretty homosexual huh? Maybe your looking for a diffrent word.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by chainsaw »

Offline RangerBob

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/c48/rikki185/?sc=4
Frostbite..
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 03:24:07 PM »
Alright all.
I'm sure a moderator can handle it if what he said is a big issue.
I sent a long explanation to him...He did say he was sorry for blowing up to me.
Well, whatever... No need to go on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by RangerBob »
A team kill is still a kill.....

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 11:12:17 PM »

Here is the real reason why you can't make topics till' ten posts.. but, before I say why, learn to ask why you can't, instead of acting like a jerk.

People come on, make topics to piss people off. Pointless topics, etc. Now, if you need to make ten posts, ten RELEVANT (sp?) posts to get a topic, then that usualy filters out all the trolls.

The problem now, is that you get people bitching about it all the time, and make replies to year old topics saying, 'huh?', 'uhh..', etc to get to ten posts. But, when that happens.. they usualy get banned.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

Offline BrianAnim

• FNG
    • View Profile
    • http://www.saintjamesgrenadiers.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 11:17:58 AM »
I joined the forum just to post a link for another website, and I have to post 10 other mesages before i can :-( tis teh sux0rzzz!!111!!one

hah naw it's an interesting idea never seen this aproach to noobie control
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by BrianAnim »
-Rex Et Patria

Offline AZdirtRiDeR

• FNG
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
Quote from: "Bullseye"
This is not the first forum that I have been a member of, and I understand that repeat questions can be bothersome, but why are people on this site so anti social to newbies?  
GUNFIGHTER6 OUT

'nuff said.....

And two years later it's still not fixed.  Now, I really don't have anything to say, but I've got to run around and find relevant posts that I can actually reply to.

I thought this was a good one, because it looks like nearly 2 years ago somebody thought it was a good idea to change the rules and here I am running into the same problem.

And I'm being really careful to use good punctuation and grammar too :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by AZdirtRiDeR »
AZdirtRiDeR

Offline Ganef

• Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.coyotetactical.blogspot.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 01:59:43 PM »
If the mods had direct control over the coding and such problems may get fixed faster, but Paco is a busy man especially running azshooting as well it is a big mess to deal with. Have a question that you think needs a new topic to answer? PM me or any of the other board frequenters and see if we cant answer it to your sadisfaction, and if we cant we can start a thread about it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Ganef »
"Well, ain\'t we a pair, Raggedy Man..."