Author Topic: Anyone ever contested a speeding ticket?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline busta_cap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Anyone ever contested a speeding ticket?
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:58:36 PM »
1.Have any of you ever contested a speeding ticket?
2. Is it "ok" for the police to speed when there is no emergency, on a call, or following someone?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever contested a speeding ticket?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 04:01:47 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
1.Have any of you ever contested a speeding ticket?
2. Is it "ok" for the police to speed when there is no emergency, on a call, or following someone?

Claim racism, thats what I do regardless of the race of the officer.  If he's white I say I'm latino, if he's latino its cause I'm white.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 04:05:14 PM »
The guy seems somewhat illiterate..Check out the handwriting..I thought mine was bad! Lol. He was a tall skinny whitey, Funny thing was he was in a White UC malibu with super tinted windows. Malibowned.

Offline djmtott

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
Always always always find out exactly how fast he clocked you. Ask the officer for the calibration date on his radar unit. If he didn't clock you then you contest it on the fact he really didn't know how fast you were going.

If the radar unit is past the calibration date then you can bet I'd be in court fighting the ticket, and I'd win.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by djmtott »
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother f****r in the valley!"

Offline PolandsLeftTesticle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »
Quote from: "djmtott"
Always always always find out exactly how fast he clocked you. Ask the officer for the calibration date on his radar unit. If he didn't clock you then you contest it on the fact he really didn't know how fast you were going.

If the radar unit is past the calibration date then you can bet I'd be in court fighting the ticket, and I'd win.

Explain. How exactly do you get to see this radar? Do you walk up to his car and stick your head through the window to check?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by PolandsLeftTesticle »
Quote from: \"SHIHAN\"
I never knew that three inches was the minimum length for a handgun barrel. I guess all of the anti-gun politicians wont be able to register their penises.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 06:42:50 PM »
Quote from: PolandsLeftTesticle
Quote from: djmtott

Explain. How exactly do you get to see this radar? Do you walk up to his car and stick your head through the window to check?
They have to write down what model it was and the serial number i know that...But he was driving next to me when he pulled me over...

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 06:54:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure in Maricopa County, pacing is acceptable, and the courts recognize LEOs as judges of speed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline djmtott

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
Vince: That's crap... but I can see that.

busta_cap: When you get pulled over and he says you were speeding, you find out if he did infact clock your speed, or if like Vince said he paced you.

If he did use his radar unit, you ask him for the calibration information. If he doesn't give it to you then you can use that in court as well. You have the right to know if the equipment used to track your speed has the possibility of being faulty.

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 07:08:28 PM »
Well i already got pulled over and got the ticket...

Offline djmtott

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Well i already got pulled over and got the ticket...
Yeah, it's unfortunate. My advice is more for the future, or shoulda, woulda, coulda.

For this case I'd say if you really don't have an issue to debate about then it'd be best just to pay the ticket and move on.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 07:12:49 PM »
I asked my father, and he says that in Maricopa County, pacing is an acceptable method of measuring speed, and the citing officer can give opinion and testify to the court as to how fast the plaintiff was going, but it's ultimately up to the judge to decide.

I'm sure if you go in, and you don't look like a scuzzball, you'll at least get some sort of break. I didn't have my insurance card, and the LEO that pulled me over (for not having headlights on after "dusk" [7PM in the summertime]) didn't wanna let me go to my house 2 blocks away, oh well, letter of the law, not the spirit, so, he ticketed me. I went to the East Phoenix JP and got it sorted out, and reduced from $450 to $222. Cool.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Vince »

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Brando

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
Back in Oregon on the tickets they check the method used. i.e pace or radar or laser.  look on the bottom and see if it says.  but yes if its by radar ask to see it and they will walk with you back to there car and show you the readings on the dash.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Brando »
To many guns to fit in here

Offline djmtott

• Sergeant First Class
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:22:43 PM »
Quote from: "Brando"
Back in Oregon on the tickets they check the method used. i.e pace or radar or laser.  look on the bottom and see if it says.  but yes if its by radar ask to see it and they will walk with you back to there car and show you the readings on the dash.
That's when you make sure to check the calibration date. If it's past the date then you can make the case that the equipment might not be functioning properly.

But if they've gotten to the point of making equipment that no longer needs to be calibrated... then for get everything I've said :)

Offline Silverman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
Of course, just because the radar shows the speed doesn't mean it was you...

One time I was driving about 35 mph in the middle of nowhere (well below the speed limit - my car was overheating and I was trying to limp back to civilization) when another car flew past me at some ridiculous speed.  A cop went chasing after him, gave up, made a U-turn, passed me on the other side, did another U-turn, then pulled my over and gave me a speeding ticket.  His radar showed "me" going 95 mph  :?

BTW - I went to court to fight it and won by default.  It took two days (the first day they didn't get to me), and on the second day the cop didn't show up!  Go ahead and go to court, there's a good chance the cop will have something better to do that day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Silverman »

Raven1

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 09:57:11 PM »
Busta Busss,

We got this a lot on the AZ350Z forums!  It completely depends on what you were doing and how it all went down.  But if he paced you then your are Fuct!  That is the best and most accurate way to judge speed.  So if the LEO tails you and you don't notice then that sux for you!  Time of day is a factor as with motorcycle patrolmen it may be difficult to view the speedometer in low light conditions.  But your were popped at 8:30 AM so that isn't a factor here.  Also if he only paced you for a few seconds it would hold up either.  Especially on surface streets as flow the of traffic is very fluid and not consistent.

Stationary radar is easier to beat in court because of the calibration issues.  Or if they are stationed at a freeway on ramp it is easy to beat as well as freeway entry speeds are dependant on traffic conditions to safely merge into the flow of traffic.  So it might be neccessary to slightly above the speed limit to get onto the freeway.

I can't tell what city it happened in.  If it was Phoenix I'd take it to court and contest it if you feel it was incorrect.  But it looks like he has you doing 58 in a 45 or about 15 over.  So it would be a tough sell in court but not as tough as most people tend to do 60 on the surface streets here in Phoenix and you could always tell the judge you were mirroring the flow of traffic.

Dress appropriately, speak with proper grammer and leave the slang and modern txt type language outside the court room.  Speak with respect and if you dis-agree do it with respect, stand your ground, be respectful of the officer and don't put anyone (the officer, traffic flow or the justice system) down.  You want to prove your point, not look some arrogant dick head who drives a bimmer!  If it's Phoenix chances are the officer will be too busy to show up in court.  They are over worked and the last thing they want to do is show up in court on their day off!

Lastly if you do end up with the ticket you can plea it down.  If you haven't had a ticket in a while (past 3 years) go to traffic school and it will keep it off you record and keep your insurance rate from going up.  But if you have had a ticket or several tickets then Get A Lawyer!  It Is The Best thing to do in to Keep You On The Road!

Hope this Helps bro,

Be E - Z!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raven1 »