Author Topic:  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Bladerunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: July 19, 2003, 11:09:16 AM »
Any place like homedepot should carry 100% silicone based oil. I forget where I bought mine but it was local. Just one of the stores around town. When I was using my AEG I would clean it after every game. Of course clean the barrel with oil, then clean that little hole where the bbs enter the bottom of the gun from the magazine. I like to spray some on a couple bbs and fire them throgh the gun with the hop up on. You can check out airsplat.com. They should still have their little AEG caring guide for you. It tells where to spray the silicone oil. I just always tried to get as much dirt and sand out of my gun as possible because the whole arizona desert just seems to want to get into your gun. When the wind blows all the dust gets picked up and thrown into your gun. My friend was cleaning his gbb after a game and actually dumped, yes dumped, sand out of his guns internals. I guess he had dropped it but the gun was saturated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Bladerunner »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 03:41:41 PM »
Bladerunner is right.  A side note...paper coffee filters work well for cleaning Airspoft guns with a little silicone lube ("oil").  The filter does not release any lint, or fuzz like cotton, or paper towels can.  Use the cleaning rod, satuirated with sil, then run a dry piece through it.  There is no need to leave lube in the barrel.  Old sil gets gummy, and collects sand/dirt.  Firing silicone-saturated bbs thru isnt a bad idea, but not really necessary.  After a thorough cleaning (inside and out), spray a small ammoount of sil into the mag well, and into the feed nozzle (where the bb's enter the chamber).  Firing a few (like 3) CLEAN bbs through with hop-up fully on distributes the sil through the hop unit.  Remove Mag, empty mag, and replace.  Keeping it on as well as the barrel cap, keeps dust out of the inside of the AEG.  Very dusty in AZ, even indoors.  Another thing i do, just because, is the clean the inside of my outer barrel.  It is always dirt as hell.  I clean the inner barrel with wet cloth, filter pieces until they come out clean, then a few dry ones.  Cleaning inside mags is also a good idea, as well as the loading rod.  What good is it to have a clean gun, if the bb's are getting dirty in the rod.  SAme goes if you have a auto loader.  Be sure to consult your manual (or knowledgeable buddy) before you take apart mags.  TM M16 mags are pure and sumple, but high-caps can get complicated.  Don't forget to discharge battery, and turn hop-up ALL THE WAY OFF for storage (a few days or more).  Also, leave mags empty.  Leaving them loaded sets the spring, and feed problems may arise.  Also make sure to leave the Mechbox spring in a rested state (you have probably heard this before).  Fire semi-auto once or twice with charged battery to release it.  Finally, (mot sure if I already said this) wipe any extraneous sil from the outside of the gun.  It collects dust like a magnet.  I also disconnect my battery, turn off all scopes, accessories, etc.  Common sense stuff, but it makes all the difference.  Ask the vets for more details.  This is just from experience of having my M4 for less than a year.  Oh yeah, and with GBB's leave mag empty of gas (save for a small ammount), and lube all rubber areas, very well.  Pay special attention to the mag nozzles, and any seals in the internal parts.  Good luck, and shoot responsibly!

X
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline AZdevil5

• Private
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/azdevil5/Homepage.html
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 12:43:02 PM »
I am ordering a aeg for a team mate and wanted to know about the care for it. How do you turn the hop-up off on an age, I have seen a lever on my team mates mp5 but dont know how to turn it off. Also about the gear box for aegs, what do you use to maintain them? I bought some silicon and synthetic greese from auto zone for my aps-2, and was wondering if the greese can go in the gear box?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by AZdevil5 »
\"I hope life isn\'t a big joke, because I don\'t get it.\" ....jack handy

Offline Bladerunner

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 05:35:37 PM »
I bought some Prestone 100% silicone oil that works fine in my APS and it worked fine in my old G3. Make sure yours is 100% silicone based. Are you talking about the AEG's gearbox? Or are you talkng about using the oil in your APS?

Offline AZdevil5

• Private
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/azdevil5/Homepage.html
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 09:54:15 PM »
I know what to use in my aps-2. I was asking about aeg gear box.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by AZdevil5 »
\"I hope life isn\'t a big joke, because I don\'t get it.\" ....jack handy

Offline Bladerunner

• Corporal
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 11:04:48 PM »
oh, ok. For the year that I used my G3, I never ever actually opened up the gearbox to clean it. Or to even look at it. But I still cleaned my barrel, magazines, and the little hole that receives the bbs from the mag. into the gun. just make sure the hop-up is off when you clean your barrel. to turn it off, just turn it or push the lever until it doesn't move any further back. Meaning decrease the hop-up on your gun until you can't decrease it any more. this will completely turn it off and you can then clean your barrel safely without damaging it. the hop-up will be different on diff. guns. My G3 had a wheel you turned inside the fake ejection port, while an MP5 I've used had a little lever on its side like you mentioned earlier. you'll need to talk to someone else about the gear box maintenance though. I've never even seen the inside of my own.

Offline Cochise

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
AEG Maintenance Schedule
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 07:29:37 AM »
The instructions for my AEG say to clean it when the bullet speed gets low.  I have played twice, and run the cleaning rod through each time.  I was wondering if there is anything else that should be done.  Also, how often should I lubricate the AEG with the silicone or teflon oil?  Which works better?  Where is the best place to get it locally?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Cochise »
Hope is the first step down the road of disappointment.
Only the awkward question; only the foolish ask twice.