Author Topic: A review of the Thunder B grenades.  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Top T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
A review of the Thunder B grenades.
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
A review of the Thunder B grenades.

As soon as these came to our store, a couple of us got some sets, thinking of what kind of nasty things we could do to them.  We bought some CO2 cartridges, then “tested” them out.

For those that don’t know, Thunder B grenades are live action grenades that use CO2 to cause the grenade to pop… loudly.  There are two kits for purchase- a beginner pack and a player’s pack.  Both kits come with a “core” and a few outer shells.  Beginner pack has a core and 3 shells, a player back has a core and 12 shells.

The way it works- insert a CO2 cartridge into the grenade core.  When safety pins are pulled, and the spoon is released, a “hammer” system slams into the top of the CO2 cartridge.  The punctured cartridge quickly (about 4-6 seconds) fills up the hollow shell of the grenade to bursting point, then pops… loudly.

Afterwards, simply unscrew the core from inside the ruptured grenade shell, replace the spent CO2 cartridge, then screw on a new outer shell.  Reset the hammer and safety pins, and go at it again.

As advertised, they are LOUD.  And a bit of smart thinking went into the shell design as well.  We wondered if the grenade actually exploded hard enough to send bits and pieces everywhere, but by design, there are seams that are meant to burst open.  No flying debris.

Since the outer shell is hollow and the core fits inside, we wondered if we might make the grenade more “effective” by putting stuff inside the grenade shell.  That way, when it burst, there might be secondary effects.  We thought of putting baby powder into it, thinking there would be a big poofy cloud to go along with the loud bang.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work at all.  As the CO2 was released into the shell, it mixed up the baby powder, which then gummed up all the works within the core, not allowing the air to release as explosively as expected.  The grenade just swelled up and fizzled.

Then we thought about putting bb’s inside the hollow shell.  With the designed seam-burst, bb’s won’t come out as explosively (or in a wide pattern), like we thought.  

Ultimately, after testing about 8 grenades, we came to realize the grenades function best when utilized without extra stuff.  I also took 2 cores and 15 shells to a big op today to get some battlefield testing.  

Pros- very loud, economical, safe, and quite the attention-getter.

Cons- couple things:
-The core must be kept clean at all times.  After using the same core 3 times in a dusty field, when I attempted to use it again, it merely fizzled in the same manner it did when we put powder inside of it.  Dust must have gummed up the inner workings of the core.
-Part of the core is plastic.  A vital part.  When you throw the grenade, the spoon is released and the hammer strikes the CO2 cartridge.  That whole part is plastic and is vulnerable to breakage.  When you throw the grenade, you run the risk of the top of the grenade (where the plastic part is) of breaking when it hits the ground.  I took two grenades to an op, and one broke the first time I chucked it.  There’s no way to fix it, so now I must purchase another set just to get another core.
-There is no way to purchase just the core.  There are large packages to buy replacement outer shells, but no way to buy just the core.

Final verdict- I like these.  Whenever one of my grenades went off, people 100 feet away knew it.  After the second or third grenade went off, whenever people saw me chuck another grenade, they went running for the hills!  Terrifying in its own right!  VERY EFFECTIVE.  And with the lessons learned, I’ll be sure to keep the cores clean and try not to break any more.  If they could be made with aluminum cores, I’d gladly pay a few dollars more for a core that won’t break as easily, and will keep buying replacement shells (very cheap, by the way).  Oh, I recommend tying some kind of bright streamer to this- when you throw it into heavy scrub, you run the risk of never finding it again.  A bright streamer might help you locate it...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: A review of the Thunder B grenades.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
Got any pics Greg?   And what is the pricing range for the two packages and for the replacement shells?

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Top T

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:43:51 AM »
The link below is not meant to be an advertisement- since there is a question about pictures and prices, this is easiest.  If you guys prefer to shop at Evike, or at Gearbox, or another retailer, you can use this information to compare prices, etc...

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/ind ... =thunder+b

I'm attaching a photo of the part that broke.  If you look closely, on the left side of the gray-looking piece, there is a chipped away area.  This is where the firing lever connects to the striker body.  Since it broke away, there is no way to reconnect the firing lever, which means there is no way for the firing lever (or spoon) to hold the firing hammer down.  About the most you can do at this point is pull the hammer back and pin it back.  But then as soon as you pull that pin, the grenade starts cooking.  The spoon allows you to pull the pin and keep the grenade safe.  Once you throw it, the spoon is loosed, the hammer flies forward and the grenade is then "armed".

Offline Marauders Airsoft

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marauders.us
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
MTT recently used the Thunder B grenades at a CQC training program at Fighter Town Paintball Park.  We discovered that the devices are very temperature sensative to the cold.

Here is a link to some footage of the training using the grenades during room clearing drills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGi22Q8mqE

Here are the fuze times for the 8 units deployed during training.
Type ---Time--- Detonation Time
1  SoundFlash 9:45 am (25 seconds)
2 SF 10:00 am  (15 seconds)
3 SF 10:15 (15 seconds)
4 SF 12:00 pm(8 seconds)
5 SF 12:15 pm (5 seconds)
6 SF 1:30 pm (6 seconds)
7 Pineapple 2:20 pm (4 seconds)
8 SF 3:00 pm (6 seconds)

The video does not even come close to capturing how loud the devices are.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:35:48 PM by Marauders Airsoft »
This account posts events held by Marauders Tactical Training and Havoc War Games.  Visit www.Marauders.us for more information.

Offline Nil8r

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »
Edited. Thanks for the catch, Ryan.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:37:19 AM by Nil8r »

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Quote from: "Marauders Airsoft"
The video does not even come close to capturing how loud the devices are.

Depends on how high you turn your speakers. :P

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
Quote from: "Nil8r"
Hey Top, I have a question. Is it possible to order just the new cores as a stand-alone, or do we always have to order either a beginner or player pack every time we need a new core? It'd be nice to order specific parts to handle things like the occasional breakage. Thanks!

Quote from: "Top T"
Cons- couple things:
-There is no way to purchase just the core.  There are large packages to buy replacement outer shells, but no way to buy just the core.

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline Mooncruiser

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
I've been tinkering with these some. I've found that drilling a hole through the body (small drill bit) -makes the cookoff time much faster. I also use Gorilla Brand Duct Tape on the outer body sides and it helps the expansion release through the bottom of the grenade. Using a wrap of teflon tape seals the threads into thr striker assembly.

I've heard of lightly scoring the grenade body, but haven't found it necessary. I am making a "Instant Detonation" one for use in a trip-wire booby trap, and may try the scoring on a few.

Finally, you get much better success by not using Crossman or Daisy Co2. Get the cheap Chinese-made cartridges from Evike or Airsplat and you'll find they puncture much easier.

Chip
~~ All men should know before they die, what they are running to, and from, and why ~~

AIRSOFT ADDICTS
Saguaro Airsoft Team