Author Topic: Digital Camo  (Read 4743 times)

Offline AgentP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Private
    • View Profile
Digital Camo
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of people on the field/internet with some form or another of digital camo. I was wanting to do a desert scheme but I was curious to find out if the military used a certain palette because it concealed better or if you could just choose whatever you want as long as it looks cool because it all has the same effect.

Input?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Camo
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
Quote from: "AgentP"
I've been seeing a lot of people on the field/internet with some form or another of digital camo. I was wanting to do a desert scheme but I was curious to find out if the military used a certain palette because it concealed better or if you could just choose whatever you want as long as it looks cool because it all has the same effect.

Input?

Army uses ACU colors because they're cheap I imagine. And because they work well in burning buildings/extremely urban environments.

Marpat is used because it's useful and effective in woods and desert (depending on which marpat you're talking about)

Digital camo looks futuristic and intimidating. Whether or not it is effective at concealment, it adds a certain awe factor to any military unit. For MOST airsoft purposes, you won't notice a difference between camo patterns, although if you're doing far and away sneaking for an uber flank, it can help, in which case it needs to be paired to your environment and the rest of your gear. Multicam tends to be good all around (it IS what it was designed for, after all). ACU tends to suck in camo factor, but it looks cool. Marpat works in the environment it was intended for (temperate woodlands or desert)... but is bad in any other scenario. You might look like a sand-dune trying to blend into a tree, for instance.

Offline [NT]Saint

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://taskforceaz.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
My personal opinion on desert digital is that it works 'best' in the desert. But then again I don't think camouflage matters much. Bob, wearing green, can preform just as good as Joe, wearing tan, in the desert. I don't actually have a digital uniform, but those I do seeing wearing it (Compared to others wearing different desert camo patterns) seem to camouflage slightly better into the terrain.

I prefer multicam though.

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560727808
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
I think digital patterns don't really make a difference as far as concealment is concerned, specially at the ranges that most games in phoenix are played. I personally like the look of digital patterns so i wear them (when i can afford to buy them). If you do choose to get a digital pattern go with MarPat. They are easily distinguishable between green and tan.

On a side note, if your planning a new kit avoid black as much as possible. Many people buy black vests, holsters or pouches for one reason or another. In my opinion black items on your kit amplify the body's shape which undermines the whole idea behind camo in the first place.

Quote from: "axisofoil"
... Army uses ACU colors because they're cheap I imagine. And because they work well in burning buildings/extremely urban environments. ...

lol. I cant wait to get my ACUs just so i can wear them around you... then pull you out of an extremely urban, burning building ;) You wont even see my coming.
"Don\'t fire and correct! Fire correctly!" - ME

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »
Quote from: "AgentP"

Input?

Choose what you like.

UCP, the pattern used for the ACU, is being replaced in OEF by MultiCam because it has been found to be an inferior pattern for multiple environments.

If I were to spend my own money on some digital uniforms, I'd go for the TRU from tru spec, one woodland digital, one desert digital.

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
If I were to spend my own money on some digital uniforms, I'd go for the TRU from tru spec, one woodland digital, one desert digital.

+1 on the two uniforms. It's going to allow you to choose what side of a MilSim you want to play. Usually mil sims are green vs tan.

Offline Ghillieman

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »
Check out the CADPAT camo as well. They are a ripoff of the Marine Corps' MARPAT but they use slightly different colors for their woodland and desert uniforms. Nevertheless it is still effective and with the CADPAT you would definately have a unique look.
I\'m a lead farmer

Offline TheBoy988

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
Quote from: "Ghillieman"
Check out the CADPAT camo as well. They are a ripoff of the Marine Corps' MARPAT but they use slightly different colors for their woodland and desert uniforms. Nevertheless it is still effective and with the CADPAT you would definately have a unique look.

CADPAT is a Canadian pattern. It's not a rip off of MARPAT, although MARPAT is very effective in a woodland or desert setting.

Offline AgentP

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
MARPAT is actually a rip-off of CADPAT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARPAT.

Regarldess, I was more asking if a certain combination of specific colors for a certain theme (desert,woodland) was more effective than others.

Offline dismount

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:58 PM »
black does that because it is not a natural color, you will not find the color black in nature
Airsoft is fun, but not as fun as the real thing, INFANTRY for life.......3 tours in Iraq and still kickin

Offline Ghillieman

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
The Marines came up with the MARPAT design in late 2000. They were looking for a new pattern, a more effective pattern. Because of it's success the Army developed their own digital camo, the ACU pattern. The Air Force followed suit and designed a combination of tiger stripe and ACU. The Navy simply uses a combination of greys to compliment their digital pattern. The Canadians copied the idea but not the exact pattern. There are a couple of other countries that have adopted the digital pattern but the USMC was first. Just to set the record strait.
I\'m a lead farmer

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
Quote from: "Ghillieman"
The Marines came up with the MARPAT design in late 2000. They were looking for a new pattern, a more effective pattern. Because of it's success the Army developed their own digital camo, the ACU pattern. The Air Force followed suit and designed a combination of tiger stripe and ACU. The Navy simply uses a combination of greys to compliment their digital pattern. The Canadians copied the idea but not the exact pattern. There are a couple of other countries that have adopted the digital pattern but the USMC was first. Just to set the record strait.

All that stuff is pretty inferior to A-TACS anyways. And in case you have been living in a closet, the US Army Finally announced the arrival of MC.

Offline cdbas777

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 04:44:51 PM »
The standard camo for any ground troop is USUALLY acu. it is designed to give you a decent blend with any terrain/weather. however, we are in arizona, and all we have is dirt, so i would go with some desert. BUT, if you wanna have some good camo for where ever you may find your self airsofting, acu would be best.
Happy Huntin\'!

Offline axisofoil

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
Quote from: "cdbas777"
The standard camo for any ground troop is USUALLY acu. it is designed to give you a decent blend with any terrain/weather. however, we are in arizona, and all we have is dirt, so i would go with some desert. BUT, if you wanna have some good camo for where ever you may find your self airsofting, acu would be best.

You are very very wrong. ACU barely helps in any environment, including desert <-- That's what you got right, is that ACU doesn't work in the desert.
That's why, as this thread states, the Army has switched/is in the process of switching to MultiCam already. ACU is quite simply awful in most cases.

If you want good camo for wherever you may find yourself airsofting, MultiCam is readily available and respectable in most terrains. a-tacs would be a great choice if you can find it.

and an invisibility cloak would be the sh!+.

Offline Ghillieman

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
Has anyone seen the new camo the Brits are wearing. That seems to be pretty effective in multipul environments. Can't remember what it's called tho
I\'m a lead farmer