Author Topic: Negativity  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Red Devil

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Negativity
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »
I want to know when did this forum become so negative? I thought it was put in place to help other airsofter's get answers and information on stuff. Lately I see people wit question's being trashed. Like someone wanting to make a juggernaught suit,he wanted info but you guys Crapped on him. And you know who you are. So how about this. If you don't have anything helpful to say to any person why don't you just leave it alone and don't post anything it is getting annoying to read your senseless Crap you keep posting. I know some of you that post crap don't even play that much,and when toy do It's for a little while then you leave.

And if you are gonna try it on this thread just keep it to yourself. So stop attacking people's post and help them with there question's!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:01:07 PM by Red Devil »
82nd Airborne 1989-1993 Rangers Lead The Way

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline B3ANZOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lights Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/lightsoutairsoft
Re: Negativity
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
I completely agree with you Chris.

If people don't have anything positive to add to someone's post then they shouldn't bother posting.

Offline Note

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
I want to know when did this forum become so negative? I thought it was put in place to help other airsofter's get answers and information on stuff. Lately I see people wit question's being trashed. Like someone wanting to make a juggernaught suit,he wanted info but you guys Crapped on him. And you know who you are. So how about this. If you don't have anything helpful to say to any person why don't you just leave it alone and don't post anything it is getting annoying to read your senseless Crap you keep posting. I know some of yoy that post crap don't even okay that much,and when toy do It's for a little while then you leave.

And if you are gonna try it on this thread just keep it to yourself. So stop attacking people's post and help them with there question's!!!

Amen to that!

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
November 2002

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Thanks guys for showing support. I will say this and i am changing my ways. But in the past I wad a Dick to people but that had changed for me. I see myself trying to defend the new guys on the forums. When my kids get on this forum people better watch out.

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline Bambi-troopers

• Sergeant Major
  • ...ice ice bambi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
Chris, i totally agree with you. I used to be on the site 24/7 but not anymore... To be honest thats a massive reason i havent been on the forum lately... its become annoying. People have no respect for anyone who comes in new or asks a question. The one thing that pisses me off is when someone asks a question, and the next guy tells him to Google it. And think to myself how google led me here. People need to be more talkative. It only helps the forum. It only improves the forum by sharing info. Shure, there are those times where people are stoopid and deserve to be yelled at. But you can debate stuff or telling people thats a bad idea without  calling them a dumb ass.

Messing around and teasing people isnt bad. Its funny. Everyone just needs to be respectful of each other online and on the field, and we could all have an easy time playing with each other.  (Sorry, if i seem jumbled in my thoughts, im just typing as i go and i dont wanna fix it from my cell) lol.
Jacob Schaeffer
W1A

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
Jacob I see where you are coming from and i know who 1 of the Google persons you are talking about. I just put this up because people seem to be forgetting the core value of this site.

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline headhunter

• Sergeant First Class
  • I'll give you my bbs...one at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
Jacob I see where you are coming from and i know who 1 of the Google persons you are talking about. I just put this up because people seem to be forgetting the core value of this site.
sorry if it is me. I try not to but it wass how i was treated when i joined and grew accoustomed to it.
Primary: JG G36c
Secondary: WE Tech Biohazard M9

Offline Red Devil

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
Nope not you. These people have been playing with saguaro for awhile now.

Age,fac ut gaudeam!

Offline ruberup

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
I agree. I have had to warn some of the new people to be carefull about what they say or even their spelling. Either help or shut the hell up!
Greg
W1A

Offline ultimentra

• Staff Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
When I first came to AA I got pretty much nothing but shit thrown in my face, and its quite frankly why I hardly ever post or even browse here aside from the classifieds. All I did was ask some questions about different AEGs, and a few of the rules of the game when I first start more than a couple years ago.

Another thing is this websites general attitude toward new players and especially minors, creates an impression on people of an incredible amount of elitism among the community (which I wont say, quite frankly, is totally incorrect). Things have change a little bit since 2-3 years ago, but still generally speaking, if a person admits that they are 16 or 17 here on the forums, no matter what they are given zero quarter and the majority of folks here want nothing to do with them. Which is a shame, because these new players, especially the 16+ group that will be here for a time to come, are the future of the sport/hobby/whatever you want to call it. So in denying them, people are actively working against giving airsoft a future.
"Strike true and strike with precision."
"Faith is my shield, contempt is my sword."

Offline theFlyingTrumpet

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
Heh, I was gonna post in that Juggernaut suit thread but then noticed the lock.... I'm with you Red Devil. Sure there are things people have posted in the past that have been incredibly ridiculous, but you can totally apply a Juggernaut to airsoft. I've seen it played where someone has a aluminum pan on his back (and an m134 minigun) and you have to hit the pan to get the person out. Makes a dinging sound. This forum is still a lot nicer than many other forums out there, but just like on the car forums I'm a part of where people get cranky during winter because of not driving in the snow, people seem to get cranky on an airsoft forum in the summer because of the heat.
Mazatzal Security Solutions - MSS Airsoft Team
"Medic! Medic! ......GINGY!!!!"

Offline Watch_Dog

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »
When I first came to AA I got pretty much nothing but shit thrown in my face, and its quite frankly why I hardly ever post or even browse here aside from the classifieds. All I did was ask some questions about different AEGs, and a few of the rules of the game when I first start more than a couple years ago.

Another thing is this websites general attitude toward new players and especially minors, creates an impression on people of an incredible amount of elitism among the community (which I wont say, quite frankly, is totally incorrect). Things have change a little bit since 2-3 years ago, but still generally speaking, if a person admits that they are 16 or 17 here on the forums, no matter what they are given zero quarter and the majority of folks here want nothing to do with them. Which is a shame, because these new players, especially the 16+ group that will be here for a time to come, are the future of the sport/hobby/whatever you want to call it. So in denying them, people are actively working against giving airsoft a future.
I completly agree. Im not new but im not a veteran to the sport but Ive stopped posting because almost every answer is google or people bash an idea. Its mainly high up people that i see do it also. And ive only met afew people other than saguaro that dont mind if your 16+ as long as your not a dbag and understand how to play. Post is alittle jumpy but i dont feel good but i wanted to put my input
name: Zac Colley
primary: Ak47 kalashnikov

Offline XavierMace

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xaviermace.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
I can't help but notice that most of the people posting in this thread haven't been around long enough to notice this has ALWAYS been how AA was.  Before me, there was Vince and Doc Hollywood.  There's always been people on here to try to keep the stupid in check because without it, the site turns into ASF which is the largest repository of useless info on the internet.  If that's the kind of site you want, then go to ASF.  I know this country is being raised to treat everybody like snowflakes, but that doesn't fly here and god willing never will.  If you don't want to see any negativity, then leave.  Negativity is needed at times.  Without someone to say "that sucks" products will never get improved.  Without someone to say "that can't work" people waste time and money trying to build something that can't be done.

Sometimes a dumb idea is a dumb idea and the person needs to be told so.  If I came on here and said I was trying to build a box and don't have a hammer and wanted to know if I could use my ICS M16 as a hammer, I would hope somebody would tell me that's a dumb idea and I'll probably break the gun. 

In regards to the Google comments....  They have a time and place.  Yes the forum is here to provide information.  However, it's not here to prevent you from having to do ANY work yourself.  If I can find an answer to your question in your products manual or in under 10 seconds of searching on Google, you're just fucking lazy and the Google response is 100% deserved.  I'm not going to fuel your laziness and I would prefer nobody else does either.  Getting cranky in the summer has nothing to do with the heat.  It has to do with the influx of children who now have nothing better to do than post every thought that crosses their mind on these forums.  It happens every year and for some people after 10 years of dealing with it, they are running out of patience.  Consider this scenario:

Post 1:  My gun doesn't fire!  HELP ME! (5 minutes later) BUMP!  ANYONE!

Post 2:  My gun doesn't fire!  I pulled the trigger and nothing happens.  I made sure the battery is charged and checked the fuse.

Poster 1 doesn't appear to have made any attempt to help himself nor does he really even explain what's happening.  God helps those who help themselves and so does this forum.   Forums are here to answer questions and that's why we save old posts.  I guarantee you poster 1 isn't the first person to have that question.  There's a reason we have stickies and a search function.  Use them.

Poster 2 on the other hand has clearly made some attempt to troubleshoot the issue himself, he just doesn't have the experience to find the issue himself.  Poster 2 will get my help, poster 1 will not.

Children (meaning anyone under 18), I'll post this in the hope you read it but I know from experience most of you won't or will and ignore it completely:

90% of the children on this forum come on with the attitude that they are entitled to be on here and know every bit as much as the adults, probably more.  It's not the age in and of itself that annoys us older players, it's that attitude.

1.  You are not entitled to be here.  This applies to adults to but I rarely see this attitude among adults.  This is a private forum, we (meaning the staff) aren't required to let anybody on.  If we wanted to, we have every legal right to ban every single minor on here forever just because we want to.  We don't though, we let you stay as long you behave yourself which is exactly the same way we treat adults.  Please consider that the next time you want to lament about how you are treated.

2.  You do not know as much as the adults on here (in general).  People such as myself, Vince, Airsofter1, nil8r, Ganef, and others have been playing organized (meaning not in a back yard or park behind Walgreens) airsoft since our newer members were in diapers.  With experience comes wisdom (generally) and that's what we are talking about.  Being a child does not necessarily make you stupid.  It does make you inexperienced and unwise however.  That is nothing to be ashamed of however.  We were all that way at one point.  The issue is how you handle it.  You can either A: Deny anything that could be an attempt to make you sound like you might not know what you are talking about or B: Realize some of us speak with the words of people who have done what you are asking about many times.  The problem is most kids these days opt for option A.

3.  Your age makes you liability.  Red_devil if you were to get up in my face and start pushing me around at a game, I could push you right back.  If you were to draw a knife on me and charge at me, I could legally shoot you in self defense without hesitation.  Bambi, if you were to get in my face, the first thing crossing my mind would be "I wonder what kind of lawyers his parents can afford".  I've run into several kids at Vanguard that it took all my self control not to put my size 13 shoe in their ass.  The only thing holding me back is fear of their parents lawyers.  Maybe your parents are that way, maybe they aren't. 

However, I don't know and I'm not willing to take that risk.  You might be a perfectly cool kid, I don't know.  But playing with you is a liability on so many levels and myself and others just don't want to take that risk.  I know that sucks for you, but that's life.  It's no different than driving a car.  I know I would have been happy to drive years before the law will let me.  But that's the law and unfortunately we are bound by it in most cases.  Legally, you can't even buy your own airsoft gun.  For many people, they feel because of that you have no reason to be participating in these forums.  As somebody mentioned above, you'll get the same attitude on car forums.  You are discussing an item that (in most circumstances) you have to be 18 to buy one.  Therefore, why would we want 13 year olds on the forums?  Saying you are 13 (or whatever your age is) is not an insult, it's a simple fact.

4.  Some people simply aren't comfortable around kids.  I'll include myself in that category.  I'm 28, I don't have kids of my own and I'm uncomfortable around others kids.  I'm not crazy about dogs either.  Not wanting to hang out with kids isn't an insult to the kids, I'm simply not comfortable around them.  If you have a dog, I'd rather not hang out at your place.  It's that simple.  Can you under 18 players say you are comfortable hanging out with a bunch of senior citizens?  It's the same general idea.  Red_devil, you've got kids so clearly this isn't an issue for you.  However, you need to understand this as much as the children do.    Especially with your comment "When my kids get on this forum people better watch out".  They are going to get treated just like every other kid on here and if you want to make an issue out of it, I've got no problem kicking you to the curb.  Not wanting to play with your kids isn't somehow an insult to you or your kids.  It's simply uncomfortable and a liability.

5.  Going around telling everybody how awesome you are proves the exact opposite.  If you are really that cool, we'll be able to tell, we don't need you to tell us.  If you dig around through old posts, you'll find people that started off as minors, got shit just like all the other kids, but eventually turned into respected members of the community.  That wasn't a matter of the community changing, it was a matter of them changing.  Respect is earned not demanded.  If you are new on here, regardless of age, you have to prove yourself to the community.

6.  You have the ability to reply to every thread, that doesn't mean you should.  Making posts like "that gun is beast" or "I had one of those" is useless and annoying if you have nothing else to contribute.  Silence is golden.  The community doesn't want to hear every thought crossing your head.  If you have actual factual information to add or an actual answer to a question, great.  But generally we don't really care what you find cool.  As mentioned in my last rant, this is a forum not a chat room.

7.  Nobody likes whiners.

Lastly, remember this.  You are in our house.  You play by our rules.  If we don't like you, we kick you out.  It's that simple.  You are guests here, if you don't like the conditions, we aren't making you stay.  If you think you can run a better forum, go ahead and make your own.  I known Team Phantom has one, and more power to them.  But if you don't have "Moderator" or "Administrator" under your name, you don't get to tell people what they can and cannot post.