Author Topic: Cool New Gloves!  (Read 2274 times)

Offline azsarge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • General
    • View Profile
Cool New Gloves!
« on: February 11, 2005, 06:42:05 PM »
I found these last night at Wal-Mart (of all places):

They are black with Tan goatskin leather and are made by Dickies.  Goatskin is more durable than sheepskin and cowhide, and stays softer longer.  There was a similar pair by Wells Lamont, but they were cowhide and weren't quite as well-made.  They have reinforced double stitching all around, and have 2 layers of leather on the thumb area and palm.  They are very soft, and the leather is thin enough to preserve tactile sensation.  The palms don't bunch-up, either.  I haven't really used them yet, but with handling my M4 and pistol they seem to be quite nice.  They cost a little less than $15.  Similar to a Mechanix glove, but with a leather palm rather than synthetic (which I find stretches quite easily).  They have some features qute similar to my Southwest Motorsports Friction Fighters, seen below.

The FFs have a gauntlet (which I don't particularly need) which adds protection from flash burns, and are made of nomex rather than Nylon/poly/spandex.  They also have a digital etched leather that adds to the grip and tactile sensation.  They are better gloves, but they cost about $85 (for civilians).  SWMS makes a similar glove without the reinforced palm (which is for SKED and cable/rope operation) that they call the Max Grip.  You can order them from http://www.tacticaltailor.com, but I got mine directly from SWMS.  I called them up and took a little trip over quite awhile back with Raith.  Nice gals that run the place!  Very helpful, and more than willing to let us try on every single different style of glove in the joint.  Their website is http://www.southwestmotorsports.com.  As far as I know, the Digital leather OD and Black FFs aren't available yet, just the Tan.  Like I said, I got mine directly from SWMS, so they will likely have some more for sale if you call.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 06:48:34 PM »
PS  note the Tan and Black gloves are a bit baggy in the palm.  That's due to the fact they are a size Large, and I usually wear a Medium.  They still fit well overall, though and I will get some detailed review once I use them a bit more.  Also, they have an adjustable velcro strap on the underside (palm side).  It is nice and out of the way in that postion, rather than being on the backside like most glove manufacturers.

I've had the FFs for sometime, and they show signs of use, although they are holding up great, and are nowhere near wearing out!

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »
I just got some Kevlar SOLAG full fingers yesterday from Tim Weaver. So far there pretty kick ass.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline IcePlatinumSky

• Colonel
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 09:14:05 PM »
I just bought the Oakley Pilot gloves!!! They were alot of money but they kick ass too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by IcePlatinumSky »

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Cool New Gloves!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 12:51:03 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"
As far as I know, the Digital leather OD and Black FFs aren't available yet, just the Tan.

You and I both have Digital Leather OD Friction Fighters.  The tan ones were the ones that were not out yet when we went there.  I have seen some tan Max Grip NT gloves before, and they looked very nice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 01:59:05 AM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
I just got some Kevlar SOLAG full fingers yesterday from Tim Weaver. So far there pretty kick ass.

I like how the palm is already a bit "closed" on the SOLAG.  It totally eliminates bunching.  What I do not like, however, is the almost total lack of sensation in the fingertips.  I remember them being very thick at the tips, almost as if the kevlar continued underneath the leather (or is it synthetic?).  They also only came in Black, as I recall.

I just bought the Oakley Pilot gloves!!! They were alot of money but they kick ass too.

Those look neat too, although I have not handled them yet.  I like the carbon fiber knuckle plate!  

Another great glove, that probably has the best sensation at the fingertips I've ever seen (or felt, I guess), is the Hatch Operator.  They are a nice design, and the leather used in the palm and fingers is so thin and supple, it's almost like it's not even there.  Where they run into trouble is with durability.  Mine (which were the "Shorty" version, that lacks the gauntlet) started to come apart around a few stitch points after moderate use, although they retained their functionality.  I still have them, and they still fit great.  Make sure to get a size smaller than you would think, because they do stretch a bit (as do most gloves).  From the looks of it, the BPG "Fury" is a similar design (read "knockoff"), and I would be curious as to how they hold up versus the Hatch vesion.  Anybody have a pair?

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 09:22:53 AM »
Sarge, i actually have gloves like that that cut off at the wrists. They are black, and the same exact style as yours. I love mine, but i do intend to use some other gloves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 11:25:38 AM »
You guys with the Oakley and SOLAG gloves, or any other gloves for that matter, should take some pics and write up a short review!

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »
I will sarge, I like the SOLAGS because they give a great amount of wrist-stiffening support that can come in handy for a Squad gunner or a Grenadier carrying a heavier weapon which ive found can leave you with kinks in your wrist after just 30-45 minutes of play. Kinda sucks when you can barely move your wrists after the day is over.

Offline creed_DET5

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 03:51:14 PM »
I've tried quite a few gloves.  My biggest problem with most types is that they're too heavy to use for long in this climate.  Perspiration can't evporate, and the result is that your hands end up soaked in sweat.
At work I usually use Uncle Mike's lightweight gloves.  They offer enough protection to guard against mesquite thorns and barbed wire, and have a spandex back that allows them to breathe.  I can wear them for most of the shift (and sometimes do) and not end up with my hands looking pale and wrinkled-looking.  The only major drawback is that they're black, which is bad for tactical applications.  I'll probably end up getting a pair of OD flight gloves.  Word from the sandbox says they're very popular.

-Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by creed_DET5 »
DET-5, detailed to SWAIRTAC

\"Well, you\'re either part of the problem, or your\'re part of the solution, or you\'re just part of the landscape.\"  -Ronin

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 04:51:15 PM »
You wanna talk sweaty palms?  Wait until you get those flight gloves!  WHEW!  I'm sure they're popular with our troops, but then again so are BPG products...

Try the Operator Shorty's.  That thin leather breathes quite a bit.  I remember playing in cold weather wishing they weren't so breathable-my hands were freezing!

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 04:56:10 PM »
The operator shortys are better for light application like CQB and the such where you wont be getting too down and dirty. But a heavier glove would be better IMO for the everyday rough use since the Operator shortys(from what I have been told) are prone to wearing down quickly.

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 10:16:01 PM »
Quote from: "busta_cap"
The operator shortys are better for light application like CQB and the such where you wont be getting too down and dirty. But a heavier glove would be better IMO for the everyday rough use since the Operator shortys(from what I have been told) are prone to wearing down quickly.

I have Shorty's, and they have lasted me 2 years without any wear-through of the leather.

busta, what's with your "I heard..." statements?  Have you ever used these gloves?

Try and stick to replying on topics you have first hand experience with, rather than causing confusion with rumors that conflict with fact.

Offline Raith

• Wait, what?
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 10:41:28 PM »
My Hatch Operators got a hole in them after I broke my fall with my hands when I fell down in the water at BT one time. (blah :P)  It ripped outer palm material and exposed the pad inside.

The fingers were beginning to split before that, and some of the seams were disintigrating, but it wasn't too bad, and nothing a bit of thread didn't fix.

Having said that, I think I might get some Hatch gloves (Probably the Hatch FOG Gloves) again in the future for when I'm not out in the desert touching pointy things.

I gave my Operators to Hector at LC3.

---

Personally, I've never found any gloves to be "too hot."  Perhaps my hands don't sweat too much or something.

I really like my SWMS Friction Fighters, and I'll probably pick up a pair of the desert colored ones in the future.  Expensive, but very nice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Raith »
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 10:47:01 PM »
I bought a pair of SOG Operators, seem to wear good so far I only had them for a month now

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »