Author Topic: Blackhawk vest  (Read 4751 times)

-Wraith-

• Trade Count: (0)
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 10:54:17 PM »
Thanks for the great response azsarge :)
However, why do people frown on using black?
It is a basic color used in camo frequently.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -Wraith- »

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 11:55:36 PM »
Quote from: "-Wraith-"
Thanks for the great response azsarge :)
However, why do people frown on using black?
It is a basic color used in camo frequently.
Because its non existant in nature!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

-Wraith-

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 12:01:54 AM »
Thats not entirely true. Theres plants with black on them, rocks, etc. Why else would black be in woodland? I can't remeber which desert but it's either 3 or 6 color has it, I believe it's 6. Also, some snow type camo has it too.

Offline studdermonkey

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 12:07:52 AM »
6 color desert has them. And yes, black does exist.. but hardly ever will you find something black enough for a whole body to be by.. so, a bit of black works fine.. but not all black, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by studdermonkey »
كافر
Nate!

-Wraith-

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 01:09:14 AM »
Why do most of the troops (at least that i've seen) wear black vests over there in Iraq?

Offline busta_cap

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 01:11:06 AM »
Because that's all they can get, and I have yet to see many wearing black, that's like saying "hey can you fire a mortar at me?, thanks!". Woodland is as old as dirt, the Army didn't know too much about camo back then, and put it in a uniform. Thats why nowadays in the new uniforms there is no black present. Only dominate grays.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline azsarge

• General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 01:16:53 AM »
Thats not entirely true. Theres plants with black on them, rocks, etc. Why else would black be in woodland? I can't remeber which desert but it's either 3 or 6 color has it, I believe it's 6. Also, some snow type camo has it too.

Yeah, black blends great with snow!  HA!

It does exist in nature, but thats not the point.  It is frowned upon because it is not commonly found in nature.  (There goes busta again, relaying info he read on the internet :roll: )  Black gear is bad because it stands out, and it is not a popular color for those in-the-know.  Around here, guys hate it because it's cool to hate Black.  (I guess someone decided it was ghey a couple years ago, and everyone jumped on the anti-black-gear bandwagon:P)  In reality, it's just not popular, and a color that's not popular won't sell as good as Coyote Brown (498 Coyote, THE most popular color these days).  BPG doesn't make Coyote Brown gear, so you don't have to worry about that for now.  

If you want my honest advice, follow 2 rules for gear:
1.  Buy a namebrand (SOTech, Eagle, HSGI, Paraclete, BattleLab, SOE, etc)
2.  Buy a popular color (Coyote Brown, Smoke Green/Ranger Green, Tan, OD, Woodland, 3 color desert, black - in order of popularity)

Spend as much as you want, but if you follow those 2 rules of thumb, you will be in good shape when it comes time to move on to a nicer piece of gear.  The only time I have not made all of my money back when selling gear is when I sold some asian replica gear.  I sold my LBT rig, Hellcat, Paraclete pouches, Eagle Holster, and some other nice pieces for what I paid or MORE because there is always a high demand for cheap used, good quality gear.  In general, if it's good gear, buying it used won't matter because the quality is always there.

As for what type of rig to get, it's all trial and error and it's up to you.  I've used everything from modular body armor, to plate carriers, to chest rigs, and even a BLACKHAWK Omega Tac vest.  These days, I prefer modular chest rig-type setups for their location on the body (mags right in the center of the torso) and breathable design (usually open in the back).  TAC vests can be a nuissance, especially of you are slim/small build.  Other than a few guys having issues with the rear straps, chest rigs fit everyone from a sumo to the telephone pole type (like 6'5", 180lb. me) and younger guys.

I'd also say look around for awhile.  I hate to see guys rush into buying rigs, only to be stuck with something that doesn't work for them.  Next time you're at a game, ask around and see if guys will let you try on their different setups.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by azsarge »

Offline creed_DET5

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 04:24:57 AM »
If you want something a little less common, look into one of the vests the IDF (Israeli Defence Forces) designed.  Mind you they're not cheap, but they're built tough and the designs have a LOT of operator input in them.  I bought an IDF Recon vest a while back - the manufacturer was Archidatex - and I'm very happy with it.

Couple things about these vests, though.  They ain't cheap.  Mine came to a tad over $200.-, but it's worth every penny, IMO.  The big ones, like the Recon or Medic versions are bulky, and have a LOT of pockets, some of which you may not need.  I ended up pulling the integrated backpack off mine, because it simply got in the way.  You also generally won't find them with back pockets for a camelback, though I wear mine over a low-profile carrier and it works.  Lastly, the vast majority of IDF vests are OD green, which may or may not be to your liking.  

If you're interested, let me know.  The site that azsarge linked to, http://www.practicaltactical.net , has four versions for sale.  Other sites also have them.  I've read and heard about non-Israeli troops using them on an individual basis, so it won't neccessarily spoil your costume if you're wanting to look like a U.S. operator.  

-Chris
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by creed_DET5 »
DET-5, detailed to SWAIRTAC

\"Well, you\'re either part of the problem, or your\'re part of the solution, or you\'re just part of the landscape.\"  -Ronin

-Wraith-

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 07:17:45 AM »
Quote from: "azsarge"

Yeah, black blends great with snow!  HA!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 76649&rd=1

Still, I can see your point of view.

Because that's all they can get, and I have yet to see many wearing black, that's like saying "hey can you fire a mortar at me?, thanks!".

You just contradicted yourself. You know that black is all they can get, yet you haven't seen many of them wearing it?  :?  

Anyways, thanks for the advice azsarge, creed, and the rest.

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.practicaltactical.net
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 08:47:06 AM »
Wraith

Troops don't wear black.  It's the PMCs that are wearing black. One of the reasons, I think, is to distinguish them from the coalition troops.  None of the PMCs I've sold stuff to have ever purchased camo stuff. It's been black or khaki.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TimW »
TimW
Phoenix

Practical Tactical Tough Life. Tougher Gear.  Assaultvest.com

-Wraith-

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Tim :)
Also, I've heard rumors about Blackhawk being in short supply, is this true? Are you in short supply as well or is PracTac stocked?

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
Everyone is in short supply, but Blackhawk generally less than most, mostly because they employ 2,000+ people sewing in ROV or China.  Not sure if it's changed, but even the STRIKE line of gear is made in ROV, which is one reason I am moving away from Blackhawk except for items you cannot get anywhere else.

Blackhawk is backordered mostly on the STRIKE line of gear, but sometimes on other items (like that chest pouch) as well.  Depends on the item.

As for me, I am low on some items, flush on others. It all depends.
TimW
Phoenix

-Wraith-

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »
Hmm, does this have anything to do with the war though?

Offline TimW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 12:02:09 PM »
Hmm, does this have anything to do with the war though?

Let's see...

Before the war, I had no problems getting stuff.

Now that the war is on, I have a tough time getting some items.

So, yeah, I'd say so.

Blackhawk is in the best position to supply, however, solely due to their production capacity.  As far as quality, it's easily replaceable with substitute items, but it's harder to get those items.
TimW
Phoenix

Offline Firehead

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 12:12:21 PM »
That isn't completely true about soldiers not wearing black. I saw a picture of a soldier wearing a BHI Plate carrier in black. He was kicking down a door. He also had a black holster. Most likely it was a gift before he left to Iraq, but he was still wearing it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Firehead »