Author Topic: Loose stock on CA SCAR-L  (Read 1139 times)

Offline KamikazeSM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
Loose stock on CA SCAR-L
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
I just got my brand new CA SCAR-L and tore excitedly into the box. It's a beautiful gun, but the stock wiggles a lot vertically. I can see the spacing between the metal butt plate that the stock screws into and the receiver itself and it definitely seems like that's the source of the problem.

My question is this: anybody with CA SCAR-L experience a similar problem? Do you think it's something I can fix by tightening up receiver screws? Any other quick fix?  

I'm hesitant to do too much messing around unless I know there's a quick fix because if I got a dud I'm going to send it back under warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"I will not fail, I will not falter, B.Co leads the way!\"
\"Books, my young padawan, are the food of the mind.\" -The All-Knowing Rev

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
Re: Loose stock on CA SCAR-L
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:35:16 PM »
If you fold the stock, you should see the plate there with two allen head screws.

Can't hurt to try tightening them.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:27:35 PM »
Ive tightened mine a lot and they always seem to come loose. I'm thinking if you put some kind of sealant on the screws, like what plumbers use it may help.

Offline KamikazeSM

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:43:15 PM »
Those screws only secure the plastic hinged portion of the stock to the metal butt plate. I tightened them and the 2 screws on either side of the receiver to no avail.

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »
Quote from: "KamikazeSM"
Those screws only secure the plastic hinged portion of the stock to the metal butt plate. I tightened them and the 2 screws on either side of the receiver to no avail.

Yeah, brain fart. There's screws on the receiver at 3, 9, 12. You have to flip the rear sight up to see the one at 12. Tighten all those, and if it doesn't fix it, return it.

"I was having dinner with Andrew Ho, and he said I should have COL McKnight lead airsofters in mock combat. I said, "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard." - John Lu

Offline G1zm0

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sg12.org/Roster_files/G1zm0.htm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
Quote from: "Vince"

Yeah, brain fart. There's screws on the receiver at 3, 9, 12. You have to flip the rear sight up to see the one at 12. Tighten all those, and if it doesn't fix it, return it.

Any other Ideas?? I've had mine for a while and already modified it.....

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »
Quote from: "G1zm0"
Quote from: "Vince"

Any other Ideas?? I've had mine for a while and already modified it.....

If they come loose, use Loctite.

Offline corporalred

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/stealthislink
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:54:12 AM »
If you get loctite make sure to get blue, it tightens the threads, Red loctite permenantly glues the threads
Quote from: \"Vince\"
I\'ve touched that gun with my hand which had touched my penis. I hope you did not touch your mouth after touching that gun. That would mean your had put part of my penis in your mouth.

Offline KamikazeSM

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:59:19 AM »
From looking at the parts, I can tell the problem is coming from a loose contact between the plastic lower receiver and the metal plate. One idea I may try is getting some good epoxy and basically extending the lower receiver a little and then sanding down until I get a snug fit with the upper.

I'm gonna give those screws a tightening first though... correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that top screw behind the rearsight just hold the spring guide for the charging handle?

Offline sonjamichelle

• Private First Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »
Try using some form of shim/spacer instead of epoxy.  A good hobby shop should carry plastic sheets that you can fab into a shim/spacer.

Avoid cranking down too hard on the screws, especially with plastic bodies.
Sonja Michelle Lina Thomas

Offline corporalred

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/stealthislink
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
On my old CA when you took out the 3 screws at 12, 3 and 9 it pulled the entire backend off and the spring for the charging handle came out as well..... search the forums for a Scar breakdown topic, I remember seeing someone post one.

~~EDIT~~ viewtopic.php?f=93&t=19411

There is the topic with pics of the breakdown
Quote from: \"Vince\"
I\'ve touched that gun with my hand which had touched my penis. I hope you did not touch your mouth after touching that gun. That would mean your had put part of my penis in your mouth.

Offline oldgamefreak

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »
Quote from: "corporalred"
If you get loctite make sure to get blue, it tightens the threads, Red loctite permenantly glues the threads

It’s best to buy it by the numbers:
http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/he ... 0000389%7C

That way you know exactly what your getting. Different manufacturers use different colors. Loctite makes the thread lock for GM and their permanent stuff is BLUE. I have broken many a ratchet on that stuff.
"America might have some problems, but it\'s our home. Our country. Our team. And if you don\'t want to root for your team, then just get the hell out of the stadium"........Stan Marsh

Offline Vince

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Quote from: "oldgamefreak"
Quote from: "corporalred"

It’s best to buy it by the numbers:
http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/he ... 0000389%7C

That way you know exactly what your getting. Different manufacturers use different colors. Loctite makes the thread lock for GM and their permanent stuff is BLUE. I have broken many a ratchet on that stuff.

Maybe GM's, or whatever, but, BLUE Loctite brand thread sealant is not permanent at all, not even sort of.