Author Topic: Swat-type shields in CQB  (Read 2001 times)

Offline busta_cap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 11:56:09 AM »
Quote from: "Reaver"
Quote from: "busta_cap"
Quote from: "Lasivian"
Yeah, something else i'm trying to fix :)
CQB missions don't happen too much in the military unless your a door kicker or part of an extraction force. It's more or less street fighting than in the buildings, but there is plenty of shootin n scootin' in the open areas too.

Try telling that to our boys in Iraq.  They have to do a lot of building work in Baghdad and other towns all across Iraq.
I just said thats what the door kickers do.... :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by busta_cap »

Offline Airsofter1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • airsot airsona
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 02:40:37 PM »
Quote from: "HavHav"
Before most of the people on heres time...at the Cajun house I belive it was the first CQB event for AA, and they had a clear plastic shield, but whoever was holding it just got cut down at the feet and what not.

I don't remember seeing a clear plastic one at that one, but I remember someone (KamakazeSM) brought a shield he made out of some kind of plastic with clear plastic eye port and a cardboard center (about 4x4") so he wasn't totally invincible.  Worked fairly well for him from what I remember.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Airsofter1 »

Offline gixser13

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 03:18:35 PM »
thats fine bring in your swat death blanket, I`ll be waiting for you with nade laucher...end of story

CQB really works best with the element of surprise,

If your excepted...then expect a few losses

best way is to design a few Senaros where the unexpected happens
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by gixser13 »

Offline -MAD- SARGE

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 10:18:21 PM »
Quote from: "gixser13"
thats fine bring in your swat death blanket, I`ll be waiting for you with nade laucher...end of story

The best way is to not be sure who is a "bad" or "good" guy, untill the shit starts.  Have pentalties for shooting unarmed civilians.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by -MAD- SARGE »

Don't be an Escalefter.

Offline KamikazeSM

• Master Sergeant
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 12:17:08 AM »
Yeah, that was me with the shield at the Cajun house.  In fact, another friend of mine had one too, and we did one stack of four behind each shield.  I think in that particular objective we were outnumbered and hunting the rest of the building (fairly large with a 'street' and some side rooms).  It was made of plexiglass painted black, curved using 3/4 ply cut on a bandsaw, with a clear plexi window about 2"x4" near the top.  The thing was only about 3' tall.  I had it on point with Kurn's Glock 19 and was able to sight through the view port, which actually worked really well.  The center (about a 14" x 5" area) was thin cardboard, but since it was dark, it took awhile for anyone to figure that out, and all the shots came in more towards my head and bounced off harmlessly.  So, not only was I crouched completely behind it, I was putting out fire with the pistol as Ninja covered me over my head, so it wasn't like I just turtled my way out with impunity.  We moved quickly and fired fast.  It was actually quite funny coming up on members of the opposing team and letting them see it for the first time.  The biggest response was "Oh sh*t!", followed by diving for cover.  Once the newness wore off though, it wasn't nearly as effective, but if you know how to use it, it was a formidable piece.

IMO, bottom line with a SWAT shield is that you can't make it invincible (hence a carboard center), you can't make it a fort on wheels by making it too big, and you have to incorporate some kind of drawback into its use (ie, make it heavy with some weights and restrict any weapons use to a pistol only).  Mine broke recently and I wouldn't build another one unless we had some dedicated CQB action that was pretty guaranteed.  Also, I built mine specifically for use at the Cajun House, so as long as you have realistic expecatations about when and how it can be used, build away and have fun with it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by KamikazeSM »
\"I will not fail, I will not falter, B.Co leads the way!\"
\"Books, my young padawan, are the food of the mind.\" -The All-Knowing Rev

Offline andyhinds

• Major General
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 07:51:25 AM »
Quote from: "-MAD- SARGE"
Quote from: "gixser13"

The best way is to not be sure who is a "bad" or "good" guy, untill the s*** starts.  Have pentalties for shooting unarmed civilians.

OOOOO... good idea, DAMN good idea, think I'll incorporate some civilians into the pistol only game this weekend!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by andyhinds »